+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I hate one word posts but....

Gorgeous.
    CI C. Scrimes
    307 RCSCC Mariner

i know its a nice thought, but i hate to break it to you...but i don't think that the gov't's budget allows for that much money to be spent soley on the production of a sea cadet training vessel. the gun mounts are made so that the gun is removable (well, so i've been told).

Cpl Charbonneau, A
    "Nivius Tractus"

Shaw_Cable is on a distinguished road Shaw_Cable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) Jean Cyr
    Don't get too excited ... I've heard that Sea Cadets likely won't get use of them...but I guess we'll see

J
    ive heard there making custom made sea cadets ones

Gungod is on a distinguished road Gungod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Rox102
    ive heard there making custom made sea cadets ones
    No such luck. Cadets will definately have use of them. The Treasury Board was told that the Navy needed the new boats to facilitate training AND to support the Sea Cadet Program. If the Navy doesn't follow through with that agreement the Treasury Board will be mighty humphed.
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M

I'm sure most cadets will be happy to take note of the hydraulic crane and windlass, extra accomadations and dinning space. I just hope Cadets are still allowed to conduct and be involved in as much as possible aboard ship. Especially on the Engineering side of things.
    Last edited by FireForEffect; 20th November 2006 at 22:41.

I Vote on them not taking off the 50 cals or an officer firering it off first for all the cadets to see would be sweet. I like the YAgs Better tho I think they look more nice.
    CPO1Scott Williams
    #54 Admiral Dewolf
    Coxswain

News I read today: http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canad...03481-sun.html

If they end up 'retiring' these ships, I can think of at least one organization that would like to see them continue to serve in some capacity.
    SLt J. K. Hunter, P.Eng., B.E.Sc.

263sailor is on a distinguished road 263sailor's Avatar
    Royal Military College, Kingston, Ontario
    As nice as it would be to have and entirely cadet crew on an MCDV, I don't think that the Navy League would be able to afford the costs of operating one of the them for corps weekends. Let alone the costs of operating them for an entire summer at an STC. However a cool idea would be to base a sea cadet corps out of one. All the neccesary things are there, class room size rooms, a quarter deck large enough to fit a moderate size corps and the ability to do all sorts of really cool training. As a plus there would not be any annoying neighbors.
    NCDT(II) Tom Eagle
    9 Squadron

Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Shippy
    I think your right Ma'am. They only have room for a crew of 2 and 16 trainees... It would very impractical to try to use them for training since you couldnt take too many cadets on them after you finish staffing them. Plus they way I take it, there only building 6 to replace the 6 YAGs, and I rather doubt the Reg and Reserve forces would be willing to part with these things for the entire summers (when they could make much better use of them).
    cheif if i am right there would be 3 navregfor personal onboard the co/xo/and the stoker

Quote Originally Posted by 263sailor
    Let alone the costs of operating them for an entire summer at an STC.
    But would it?

Having an MCDV at QUADRA vs 3 YAGs.

3 YAGs require 9 Officers and 6 Staff Cadets.
    1 MCDV requires 2 Officers and 1 Engineer.

3 YAGs can house 40 trainees
    1 MCDV with an accomodation pod can house just about the same.

A full Bosn Division, male and female could train on 1 MCDV. They could take the MCDV just offshore and do full training and drills. There would not be a need to break the Boatswain Divisions up into groups of 14 Pers.

A win/win situation. The YAG Captains and XO's could get actual watch time creditted and the Staff Cadet Stoker would work side by side a RF/PRes Engineer.
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M

Quote Originally Posted by Gungod
    1 MCDV requires 2 Officers and 1 Engineer.
    How did you come up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay
    How did you come up with that?
    Two Regular/PRes Officers - Captain and Deck O.
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M

Two Regular/PRes Officers - Captain and Deck O.
    Given that an MCDV sails with a professional crew in the tens, including two regular force electrical trades (an electrician and an electronics tech if I'm not mistaken), I think the manning requirement would be more substantial than two MARS officers and a stoker. Among other things, I think more than one watchkeeping officer would be required and a tender charge ticket probably wouldn't cut it for that role in an MCDV.) In addition to manning, fuel and maintenance costs would be considerable, and the cost of tying the ship up would be a lot more than it is for a YAG at the local marina (but this could be avoided by simply staying at sea for the whole sea phase -- more watchstanders required though.)

None the less, it would be an amazing experience for the cadets if it could be made to work.

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay

None the less, it would be an amazing experience for the cadets if it could be made to work.
    An MCDV's professional crew is approximately 31. However, for day sails and along side they could get away with less. The skeleton crew of 2 Reg/PRes Officers and Stoker would be complimented by CIC Officers with their Tender and Staff Cadets with their Engineering ticket.
    The rest of the Ships Company would the the Boatswain Course Cadets.

It's my dream, get out of it lol
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M

Well we can only hope your dream becomes a reality sir.

263sailor is on a distinguished road 263sailor's Avatar
    Royal Military College, Kingston, Ontario
    But would it?
    I was speaking of merely the costs of fuel and upkeep, The officer costs would however also be astronomical. Seeing how much work must be done to the ships which outlast their expiry date, I wouldn't want to imagine what they have to do to the ones which don't even last that long. They would finally put to use that floating dry dock in Comox harbour.
    NCDT(II) Tom Eagle
    9 Squadron

Quote Originally Posted by 263sailor
    I was speaking of merely the costs of fuel and upkeep, The officer costs would however also be astronomical.
    We wouldn't be responsible for the upkeep of the MCDV's. The fuel and Officer costs would probably be lower because we would be going from 3 YAGs to 1 MCDV.
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M

aslong as the MCDV doesnt slip during sail regattas again then i have no problem with it...
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"

We wouldn't be responsible for the upkeep of the MCDV's. The fuel and Officer costs would probably be lower because we would be going from 3 YAGs to 1 MCDV.
    Somebody's still got to pay for the maintenance, whichever budget it is.

The fuel costs might still be higher for an MCDV than for three YAGs -- hull form, engine size, propeller (or whatever) characteristics, etc. all affect the amount of fuel burned per hour, mile, or other measure.

Mind you, it could just as easily be that one MCDV is less thirsty than three YAGs. But it's not guarranteed that the MCDV would win simple because there's only one of it compared to three YAGs.

I think the manning costs would be higher as well, mostly because I think more than just two MARS officers and a stoker would be required, and whoever ends up coming is going to be subject to things like sea pay, TD, and perhaps other goodies that CIC officers serving in a CSTC don't get.

I agree with Gungod. The Yags were pretty thirsty machines. I think that a machine that is at least 10 years old would by a little less fuel efficiant than one that is brand new. On top of that, we would only need one instead of three...