+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC Aviator View Post
    Every time I see the title of this thread I'm wondering if a better name would be better. The Orcas are not YAGs, I'd rather call it "Retirement of the YAGs" or "End of career for YAGs"...
    I'm okay with it as it is. Actually, one project document, possibly the RFP, did actually refer to the new vessels as YAGs. I presume somebody realised the endless confusion that would cause and decided on PCT.

Last of eight new training tenders delivered

NAVY RECEIVES LAST OF EIGHT NEW TRAINING TENDERS BUILT AT VSL

ESQUIMALT, B.C. – The Navy will take delivery of the last of eight new training tenders designed and built by Victoria Shipyards Co. Ltd. (VSL) Thursday at 1 p.m. Patrol Class Training Tender 62 “Moose” will be transferred by tugboat across Esquimalt Harbour for final fitting out and provisioning. VSL was awarded the $69.7 million contract in 2004 to construct six of the 33-metre steel ships with an option of two more with a total budget of $90.7 million. Delivered 14-months ahead of schedule, the new tenders replace the half-century old wooden training vessels previously used for training junior naval officers, regular and reserve force sailors and familiarization training for Royal Canadian Sea Cadets. The new training ships are equipped with state of the art bridge facilities that match the Navy’s larger ships.
    Ships in harbour will sound their whistles and horns for 30-seconds in salute and the Navy’s fireboat CFAV Firebrand will perform a water salute with its monitors to welcome the new craft.
    -30-

Symbolism of animal names from a variety of North American Aboriginal cultures
    The ships’ names perpetuate those of the armed yachts of the Second World War and Fairmile Motor Launches of the 1950’s while representing the culture of the West Coast First Nations.

Whale (Orca) - shows the strength in family, he symbolizes wisdom and compassion with a connection to the eternal life. First of its name

Raven - is the symbol of humor, changes in life, lightness of being, most important of all creatures, is known as the transformer, the cultural hero and the trickster to many tribes. First of its name.

Caribou – teaches us the power of gentleness and calm. Alertness comes from a sharper sensory sense and so is acutely aware of its’ surroundings. Second of its name

Fox (Renard) – symbolizes cleverness, slyness, stealth and observation, able to adapt, agility of mind to be able to get out trouble. Chameleon qualities enable to blend into the forest. Is a natural protector of its’ family. Second of its name.

Wolf - shows strength in the family and the kinship associated with it, is known to have strength and loyalty in all relationships, and is a great team player with effort on behalf of all in the community. Third of its name.

Bear (Grizzly) - symbolizes consistency and stability of action, has the ability to discover the inner truth about oneself, and has great self-awareness, with a desire to deliberate about choices and actions. Second of its name.

Cougar – symbol of self-confidence, high intelligence, physical prowess, strength of will and intuitive ability. Cougar teaches us to take control of ourselves so we can become effective and fair leaders. Its graceful swiftness allows us to understand the natural flow of our environment and move into a position of balanced leadership. Third of its name.

Moose – symbol of courage and determination. Also known as being headstrong with unstoppable longevity. Moose represents value and integrity. Able to walk proudly with grace and has universal knowledge. The power of their presence is awesome and inspiring. Third of its name.
    GWP
    osjqgjm
    qdjmcd1osjsm

mvac

The spelling of Cariboo is the darn Eastern way

Quote Originally Posted by D. Nicholson View Post
    The spelling of Cariboo is the darn Eastern way
    I'm pretty sure the two "o" version is usually limited to referring to the geographical region. The "ou" version was used for the ship's precursor HMCS CARIBOU.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Gene Fedderly View Post
    I'm pretty sure the two "o" version is usually limited to referring to the geographical region. The "ou" version was used for the ship's precursor HMCS CARIBOU.
    Interesting heritage issue here... when a tender inherits the name of a former HMC Ship, does anything pass to the tender (e.g. ship's badge, battle honours, etc.?)

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    Interesting heritage issue here... when a tender inherits the name of a former HMC Ship, does anything pass to the tender (e.g. ship's badge, battle honours, etc.?)
    Negative. That being said, IMHO, they should be commissioned ships with some permanent crews.
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

Negative. That being said, IMHO, they should be commissioned ships with some permanent crews.
    What with the current difficulty manning ships? All I hear in the news these days when it comes to manning HMC Ships is that crews are now pieced together for a deployment, rather then remain a homogenous unit.
    NCDT

Quote Originally Posted by RMC Sailor View Post
    What with the current difficulty manning ships? All I hear in the news these days when it comes to manning HMC Ships is that crews are now pieced together for a deployment, rather then remain a homogenous unit.
    You're right, it's an issue. Like all sectors these days, the Navy has personnel shortages. Perhaps the recession will help?
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

I'm pretty sure the two "o" version is usually limited to referring to the geographical region.
    Interesting. With my times at BC Parks we always spelled the animal's name with "oo," but we were more than likely confused. From an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the two O's.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Nicholson View Post
    Interesting. With my times at BC Parks we always spelled the animal's name with "oo," but we were more than likely confused. From an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the two O's.
    Cariboo is a geographical region in British Columbia
    http://www.landwithoutlimits.com/

Caribou is an animal. (in B.C. and anywhere else)
    http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...ls/caribou.htm
    GWP
    osjqgjm
    qdjmcd1osjsm

mvac

Quote Originally Posted by LCdr Gene Fedderly View Post
    You're right, it's an issue. Like all sectors these days, the Navy has personnel shortages. Perhaps the recession will help?
    Well it's really in times like these where some Canadians notice that some professions and trades are always in demand and that they don't risk losing their jobs. As for the article cited, 600 people doesn't seem that much, but it is. The Navy has to find 600 people who are willing to sign up, wear the uniform, go to sea and be ready to be away from their families; not an easy task. The Navy being incognito is much more than just a Navy problem: it's the tip of the iceberg in matter of Canadians not being aware of the maritime aspect of Canada.

F.R. Bosse, BA(Hons.), G.Dip, rmc

the manning shortages are going to be getting even worse once the new offshore arctic patrol ships start arriving on the coasts
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian276 View Post
    the manning shortages are going to be getting even worse once the new offshore arctic patrol ships start arriving on the coasts
    Yeah, I wouldn't too much about that. Many years will pass before we see those hulls.
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

oh i know sir, but im also only 19 if i ever sign on for my IPS ill have 42 years in. wow i could even be the coxswain of one lol
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"