+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

New ORCA Class PCT - Update

OOOOO LOOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!

ORCA Class

There is bit more info then has been previously posted on CW on there, so check it out!

Also... here is the Old YAG (ie the current one ).
    CPO1 Shane Stephenson (Ret)
    Retired Coxswain of RCSCC 178 Oakville
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    The empires of the future are the empires of the mind. - Sir Winston Churchill

canada poland england scotland

*drool*

I want one...or maybe two...
    Tim Woyma
    ENS USN
    USS ANZIO
    "Stand and Fight!"

Quote Originally Posted by TWoyma
    *drool*

I want one...or maybe two...
    Your USCG Island Class are still better though...

AWESOME!!! yeah i heard about the orcas...apparently they have like a ginormous galley, officers quarters, staff quarters, two heads, (and a 50 cal?) anyways, sure to be a lot of fun
    Ian Fraser Cecil Philip Field
    ukscotlandjamaica
    p6p4

A removable 50 cal... meaning cadets won't get to touch.
    Hutch

Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr's Avatar
    A removable 50 cal... meaning cadets won't get to touch.
    More like it will be removed

J

Well, yes. I just said it implicitly.
    Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Shippy
    Your USCG Island Class are still better though...
    Hey, I'll take one of those, too
    Tim Woyma
    ENS USN
    USS ANZIO
    "Stand and Fight!"

so when does the government actually plan to replace the YAG's with these new Orca Class vessels?
    49 RCCC John Travers Cornwell - Victoria Cross
    QPO1 Brown,R
    Stand Your Station

Quote Originally Posted by JTC Gunner
    so when does the government actually plan to replace the YAG's with these new Orca Class vessels?
    It mentions mid 2006 to 2008 on the webpage that I have that link to.

Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Jean Ann Cyr's Avatar
    Don't get too excited ... I've heard that Sea Cadets likely won't get use of them...but I guess we'll see

J

if we dont get to use them at first i'll be very, very upset...
    Ian Fraser Cecil Philip Field
    ukscotlandjamaica
    p6p4

Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) Jean Cyr
    I've heard that Sea Cadets likely won't get use of them..

J
    Not until after they are already broken and obselete, anyway.

Don't get too excited ... I've heard that Sea Cadets likely won't get use of them...but I guess we'll see

J
    I think your right Ma'am. They only have room for a crew of 2 and 16 trainees... It would very impractical to try to use them for training since you couldnt take too many cadets on them after you finish staffing them. Plus they way I take it, there only building 6 to replace the 6 YAGs, and I rather doubt the Reg and Reserve forces would be willing to part with these things for the entire summers (when they could make much better use of them).

I think your right Ma'am. They only have room for a crew of 2 and 16 trainees... It would very impractical to try to use them for training since you couldnt take too many cadets on them after you finish staffing them. Plus they way I take it, there only building 6 to replace the 6 YAGs, and I rather doubt the Reg and Reserve forces would be willing to part with these things for the entire summers (when they could make much better use of them).
    I have the advantage of inside information, and although we would still use them with 16 trainees on each (still very worthwhile weekend exercise)..it's the fact that they are new that would be the main hiccup,...plus staffing them (engineer and CO/XO wise - the current courses for those positions will have to be re-written/updated), which I'm informed is the biggest hiccup of all.

Time will tell though.

J

Poseidon
    I have the advantage of inside information, and although we would still use them with 16 trainees on each (still very worthwhile weekend exercise)..it's the fact that they are new that would be the main hiccup,...plus staffing them (engineer and CO/XO wise - the current courses for those positions will have to be re-written/updated), which I'm informed is the biggest hiccup of all.

Time will tell though.

J
    So does that mean that before any officer can serve on the new ORCA class YAGs, they will have to retake their Tender?

Time will tell though.

J
    Would you be limited to less then 16 though? I am assuming you would have a CO, XO, Engineer, and Buffer... so then that would leave room for only 14 cadets on board. You can currently stick more on the Maple Leaf (but thats cramped) that being the smallest vessel (in crew capacity) at Quadra, and this being a DND vessel, they dont really design for "extra" crew. Don't get me wrong, I would love to use one of these (I might in the Reserves ), but I can't see cadets using them anything with the next 15-20 years.

I'm sure those navy folks want to play with thier new toy for a while before they decided to share it with thier little brothers(/sisters).
    Last edited by Shippy; 5th May 2005 at 16:38.

So does that mean that before any officer can serve on the new ORCA class YAGs, they will have to retake their Tender?
    Not sure about 'retake' ...more like 'upgrade.'

J

engineer is on a distinguished road engineer's Avatar
    I don’t think NTS would allow a staff cadet crew sail alone in their new toys. I think the Marine engineer cousre if still around will focus the cadets being an assistant to a NTS engineer.
    CI Horwood
    rcscc quinte
    Boatswain TG II Div O HMCS Ontario

Hmm...2006-2008...I'll come back as an officer...
    BDR SCHEER
    MT NCO, C Bty, 1 RCHA

Volunteering with 2520 RCACC 71 Bty
    "UBIQUE"