+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 30 55 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless
    Not at all. The Delian League was Athen's hegemony set up to counter the Spartan Peloponnesian League to the south. It was sort of like Plato's Nato to the Spartan Warsaw Pact.

The old 18 were the first eighteen cadets to attend RMC
    (Wurtele, Freer, Wise, Davis, Reed, Denison, Irving, Davis, DesBrisay, Rivers, Spelman, Fairbank, Perry, Cochrane, Dixon, Perley, Keefer and MacPherson)

Another fun one: What happened to the top four candidates of the first class of Canada's Naval Academy of 1912?
    Athens' ships were known as the "Wooden Walls" based on the prediction from the Oracle at Delphi that Athens would be saved from the Persians by her wooden walls. The statesman Themistocles interpreted this as meaning ships and urged the construction of the navy that defeated the Persians at the Battle of Salamis in 480 BC.

I had the opportunity to meet with Commander Alfred Wurtele before he died and he was the son of the Wurtele from the "Old 18".

Midshipmen Palmer, Silver, Hatheway and Cann were graduates of the Royal Naval College of Canada and were lost along with Rear-Admiral Sir Christopher Craddock and all hands of his flagship HMS GOOD HOPE at the Battle of Coronel 1 November 1914. They were the first Canadian casualties of the First World War. The Coronel Memorial Library at Royal Roads Military College was named in their honour.
    Last edited by LCdr Gene Fedderly; 28th March 2005 at 11:58.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) Gene Fedderly
    Athens' ships were known as the "Wooden Walls" based on the prediction from the Oracle at Delphi that Athens would be saved from the Persians by her wooden walls. The statesman Themistocles interpreted this as meaning ships and urged the construction of the navy that defeated the Persians at the Battle of Salamis in 480 BC.

I had the opportunity to meet with Commander Alfred Wurtele before he died and he was the son of the Wurtele from the "Old 18".

Midshipmen Palmer, Silver, Hatheway and Cann were graduates of the Royal Naval College of Canada and were lost along with Rear-Admiral Sir Christopher Craddock and all hands of his flagship HMS GOOD HOPE at the Battle of Coronel 1 November 1914. They were the first Canadian casualties of the First World War. The Coronel Memorial Library at Royal Roads Military College was name in their honour.
    Bravo Zulu! You pegged them all.
    "...they will not run away from the sea if they realize that the Navy is a challenge, not a chesterfield."

-The Mainguy Report

I can see there are no questions I can try and answer, so I have a question for all of you:

Q: What does the naval term 'jack' mean?... What is a jack?
    "Sailing is more than just a sport, it becomes your life"

Quote Originally Posted by kat2566
    Q: What does the naval term 'jack' mean?... What is a jack?
    The jack is the flag flown at the bow while a ship is alongside. In the UK, the Union Flag is used (which is presumably why it's called the Union Jack so often).

What does a sextant measure?

Quote Originally Posted by SLt McKay
    The jack is the flag flown at the bow while a ship is alongside. In the UK, the Union Flag is used (which is presumably why it's called the Union Jack so often).

I do believe that it is for distance. It was a tool that I really have no idea what I am tlaking about!!
    James Gallagher
    Canadian Forcescanada

"To close with and destroy the enemy, by day or by night, regardless of season, weather or terrain."

i think it measures distance using the stars and horizon...not exactly sure how it works
    Tiffany Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyAbbott
    i think it measures distance using the stars and horizon...not exactly sure how it works
    Measures the altitude of celestial bodies in order to determine latitude/longitude (location, as opposed to distance, although one could calculate one from the other, I imagine).

What does the flag of the Lord High Admiral look like?

CH
    Lt(N) Hoult
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Hoult
    What does the flag of the Lord High Admiral look like?

CH

Here it is right here.

Ok, In the United States there is a Navy, an Inland fleet of ships from WWII, what is the name of this Navy?
    Andrew Bruce
    Naval Electronic Sensor Operator 00115
    HMCS Vancouver FFH-331

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Hoult
    Measures the altitude of celestial bodies in order to determine latitude/longitude (location, as opposed to distance, although one could calculate one from the other, I imagine).
    Pretty close. It measures the angle between two objects, usually a star (or a planet or the Moon) and the horizon, but it can also be used to measure the horizontal angle between two objects on land, or the angle between the top of an object on land and the surface of the water. It's not too far removed from a protractor.

It's not too far removed from a protractor.
    whats the difference?
    Andrew Bruce
    Naval Electronic Sensor Operator 00115
    HMCS Vancouver FFH-331

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefGunny
    whats the difference?
    A protractor is a drawing instrument used on a chart or drawing to measure angles on paper -- you've probably used one in math classes. A sextant is an optical device used to measure angles in space: you look through a telescope at an object and the reflection of another object, and once you adjust the sextant to show the real and reflected objects side-by-side you read the angle between them from a scale on the sextant.

Since no-body answered what the Scrap-Iron Flotilla refers to today, I will let you know that it refers to the Royal Australian Navy's Contingent of Rserve Musicians otherwise known as the RANR Bands.

A Sextent measures the angle between a celestial object and the surface of the Earth. I learnt abit about the theory of this back in Highschool Maths with trigonometry. If the height of a landmark is known, it can be calculated how far away from it you are. If you use your compass and a bit of common sense, you can use it to plot your exact position on a chart.

Coastal Navigation is not too hard, provided you don't have too many navigational hazards along the way!

HMS Nottingham managed to hit the only navigational Hazard between Australia and South America! What was it called?
    Martin Hartley
    Trainee Officer - Australian Air League, Padstow Squadron
    Former Leading Seaman, Australian Navy Cadets

Quote Originally Posted by hartleymartin
    HMS Nottingham managed to hit the only navigational Hazard between Australia and South America! What was it called?
    I don't know what you mean by 'what was it called,' but I know that they hit rocks off Australia in 2002. Is that the answer you were looking for?

Now I have a question: What the lyrics to the 3rd verse in the ORIGINAL song: Anchor's Away... Remember, the ORIGINAL, not the revised
    "Sailing is more than just a sport, it becomes your life"

The Great Barrier Reef?
    "...they will not run away from the sea if they realize that the Navy is a challenge, not a chesterfield."

-The Mainguy Report

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    Can we say that on CW?

Quote Originally Posted by kat2566
    I don't know what you mean by 'what was it called,' but I know that they hit rocks off Australia in 2002. Is that the answer you were looking for?

Now I have a question: What the lyrics to the 3rd verse in the ORIGINAL song: Anchor's Away... Remember, the ORIGINAL, not the revised
    I maybe wrong but I think the answer is:
    Blue of the Seven Seas
    Gold of God's great sun
    Let these our colors be
    Till all of time be done-n-n-ne
    By Severn shore we learn
    Navy's stern call
    Faith, courage, service true
    With honor over, honor over all.

My Question is: Just before HMS Victory went into battle at the Battle of Trafalgar, what song was played on the Quaterdeck?

Quote Originally Posted by Williams
    My Question is: Just before HMS Victory went into battle at the Battle of Trafalgar, what song was played on the Quaterdeck?
    The Roast Beef of Old England? (Or was that the night before? If so, then Heart of Oak.)

What vehicle has bulkheads, a deck and used to be called a "land ship?"

-The Mainguy Report

Surely it can't be the only one? It was Wolf Rock near Lord Howe Island.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

The Roast Beef of Old England? (Or was that the night before? If so, then Heart of Oak.)
    Yes it was Heart of Oak.