+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Cobra is on a distinguished road Cobra's Avatar
    Question Tactical Helicopter Pilot

I have a a few questions:

- What element would I need to join to become a tacitcal helicopter pilot? (I'm thinking Air Force, for the obvious reasons, but I seem to remember hearing about Army pilots.)

- Is it possible to only be a helicopter pilot and not a plane pilot?

- Do you get "wings" as a helicopter pilot?

- Is it easier to become one through the primary reserves or regular force/what steps would I have to take to get there?

Thanks in advance to all who can help me out here.
    W. M. Lindinger
    Civilian Volunteer
    Former Chief Warrant Officer & Regimental Sergeant Major of 1882 The Wellington Rifles RC(Army)CC
    "Virtutis Fortuna Comes"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post

- What element would I need to join to become a tacitcal helicopter pilot? (I'm thinking Air Force, for the obvious reasons, but I seem to remember hearing about Army pilots.)

- Is it easier to become one through the primary reserves or regular force/what steps would I have to take to get there?

Altough I'm not a recruiter in any official form, from what I know here are my answers:

- Is it possible to only be a helicopter pilot and not a plane pilot? Yes, altough you must undergo some training on fixed-wings in Portage and Moose Jaw.

- Do you get "wings" as a helicopter pilot? Yes, all pilots get wings in the CF.

- Is it easier to become one through the primary reserves or regular force/what steps would I have to take to get there? Easier through the RegF: go ask at a CF Recruiting Center near you.

F.R. Bosse, BA(Hons.), G.Dip, rmc

All pilots are Air force no matter what air craft you fly. I asked an Air Nav that is on my NETP with me to verify it. The only time that pilots were not all air force was when we had HMCS Magnificent and HMCS Bonaventure. The pilots of some if not all were naval air officers
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"

I have never seen pilot who got their wings in the reserves, it's possible for reservists to get jump wings (para) but definitely not aviation wings
    Pte. Wei
    23 Field Ambulance

MILITI SUCCURRIMUS "We Hasten to Aid the Soldiers"
    ITIC 2004 || SLC 2006

aircsm china canada on

Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    I wouldn't be so sure about that - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._400_Squadron_RCAF
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._400_Squadron_RCAF
    The vast majority (if not all) Air Reserve pilots are former Reg Force. It's possible to join to become a pilot but you must allready have a civilian pilot licence : http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/air...upations_e.asp

Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    ... Making it still possible to do. The previous post said it was impossible. Nuff said.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cobra is on a distinguished road Cobra's Avatar
    Thanks for the info so far. I did some more research of my own and found this. It talks about "if you are selected for helicopter training" (or jets or multiengine) so does anyone know how they select you or if you get any say in the matter?
    W. M. Lindinger
    Civilian Volunteer
    Former Chief Warrant Officer & Regimental Sergeant Major of 1882 The Wellington Rifles RC(Army)CC
    "Virtutis Fortuna Comes"

This Summer I had the chance to go to thr Introduction to aviation course and we were given the oppertunity to go in the ATC at trenton and I was wondering (since I wasn't quick enough to ask there) what the requirements/training is needed for that job. I have looking on the web for that kind of information yet I think I might be blind when it comes to that kind of research.
    Can anyone help me out?

Thank-You,

DV
    WOI Vanier-Cholette (RET'D)
    102 Silver Fox Squadron Barrie

Neoupa2002 is on a distinguished road Neoupa2002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian276 View Post
    All pilots are Air force no matter what air craft you fly. I asked an Air Nav that is on my NETP with me to verify it. The only time that pilots were not all air force was when we had HMCS Magnificent and HMCS Bonaventure. The pilots of some if not all were naval air officers

Oo. the Bonnie and the Magnificent were from like before my parents were born...

Does anyone know any local recruiting centers in Toronto? I plan to join the reserves when I finish high school.
    Leung, J gliderwingspowerwings
    aircsm1

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian276 View Post
    I wish we still had naval air officers - where everyone on the ship was Navy, ah well...

F.R. Bosse, BA(Hons.), G.Dip, rmc

Former Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoupa2002 View Post
    Oo. the Bonnie and the Magnificent were from like before my parents were born...

Does anyone know any local recruiting centers in Toronto? I plan to join the reserves when I finish high school.
    4900 Yonge street west side just north of Sheppard Ave. Parking is next door in a green P... or Bus from thornhill comes right past it...

hope that helps.

Sailing Snake is on a distinguished road Sailing Snake's Avatar
    Does anyone know who should I contact if I want to apply for ROTP and if there are any other university commissioning programs besides that? I saw several other acronyms on a facebook site. Thanks.
    OS Zeng
    Recruit
    HMCS York

jjhp is on a distinguished road jjhp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailing Snake View Post
    Does anyone know who should I contact if I want to apply for ROTP and if there are any other university commissioning programs besides that? I saw several other acronyms on a facebook site. Thanks.
    Contact your CF recruiting center.
    Jack Park rclcmeaircsm
    Warrant Officer 2nd Class
    Squadron Deputy Commander
    SB08 - HB09 - Staff09 - HB10 - IACE Australia 10
    583 Coronation RCAirCS canada

Quote Originally Posted by jjhp View Post
    Contact your CF recruiting center.
    Would a reserve armoury serve that purpose, Flight Sergeant? My town doesn't have a dedicated recruiting center, but it has an armoury.
    OS Zeng
    Recruit
    HMCS York

Would a reserve armoury serve that purpose, Flight Sergeant? My town doesn't have a dedicated recruiting center, but it has an armoury.
    As far as I know no, because ROTP is an officers training not for reserves. What you can do is phone the closest recruiting center to ask questions. When I did my ROTP application, I preferred to do it on a paper copy however, you CAN apply and submit online. If you really want a hard copy, then ask the recruiting office to send you a copy.
    Jack Park rclcmeaircsm

Thanks for the information so far, Flight Sergeant. I'm still wondering if there is a reserve counterpart to ROTP. Or should I just give the recruiting center a call for details?
    OS Zeng
    Recruit
    HMCS York

I'm still wondering if there is a reserve counterpart to ROTP. Or should I just give the recruiting center a call for details?
    There is the RETP (Reserve Entry Training Program) at RMC. From what I've been told, you do everything that the ROTP's do, but you pay for your tuition, etc. However, you don't have to do the mandatory service afterwards. During the summer, you'll probably be paid if you participate in certain activities (training operations?), which will help to defray the costs of RMC.

According to the recruiter I talked to, the RETP spots at RMC are rarely filled and if you're thinking of applying, you should because there's a larger chance you'll get in.

But give your recruiting center a call. They can help you out way more than we can.

Thanks for the information so far, Flight Sergeant. I'm still wondering if there is a reserve counterpart to ROTP. Or should I just give the recruiting center a call for details?
    Well I say you contact the recruiting center because that's where you do all your aptitude test, medical exam, and your interview. Any way, the recruiting center is the most accurate place to retrieve information.
    Jack Park rclcmeaircsm

Quote Originally Posted by jjhp View Post
    Well I say you contact the recruiting center because that's where you do all your aptitude test, medical exam, and your interview. Any way, the recruiting center is the most accurate place to retrieve information.
    You sure about that?

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more