+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    330attitude is on a distinguished road 330attitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcKay
    The wings you would receive as an Air Navigator are different than those you would recieve as a pilot, and so to is the qualification. The other question that arises is how much the vision standard differs between different aircrew occupations.

With regards to your second question. It shouldn't cause any difficulties, many Ontario students still take a fifth year of HS, since the elimination of the OAC year.
    That makes sense, and I'm glad that it's that way. But I'm definitely going to talk to a recruiter sometime this summer, to check it out before I get in too deep with plans. Thanks for your help
    "De plus en plus rare"

Quote Originally Posted by 330attitude View Post
    That makes sense, and I'm glad that it's that way. But I'm definitely going to talk to a recruiter sometime this summer, to check it out before I get in too deep with plans. Thanks for your help
    How did the recruiting work out for you? Are you in?
    Nick P. Kucher swasmcd
    Lieutenant (Navy)
    OpsO
    HMCS OTTAWA

I have a question that may be some what difficult to answer but I'll ask it anyway.

I am going to grade 11 in the fall and the recruiting centre in my area reccomends that you come for a consultation around this stage in the game. I know that I want to be an officer in the Canadian Forces but the problem is passing the medical. I am physically fit other than the fact that I have a hearing loss that is severe to the point where I have to be wearing a hearing aid at all times. It is a 75% loss that I was born with. Does anyone know if this will have an affect on me passing the medical although I can hear on a normal level with my hearing aid?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    B. Gillespie
    Captain
    Commanding Officer
    515 North Atlantic RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSpike View Post
    Once a member of the CF are we allowed to run any private business on the side? I consider myself a computer geek and I wondered if I would be able to run my own web-based business for some extra pocket cash (computers are also an expensive hobby )
    Their is no probleme with a private buisness or extra side work. One of my friend own a video club and some appartment block. An other one work has a driver (I don't remember for who) one own parts of his family farms and an other one has a small webpage creation business. The only probleme you might have is the schedual might not always make it easy to work in on your private business.

In the Reg Force you must formally request to run a private business or have a second job, by the books... Like Thib said, the schedule can not interfere with your job, other then that, go nuts!

There's a really good source of info at army.ca (just research so ppl don't go crazy on you) and there's a facebook group called Canadian Forces that has A LOT of information, and the people there are more receptive to recruits who know nothing and don't know where to research it.
    OCdt (I) Saroop, Dean
    1 Sqn RMC

Sailing Snake is on a distinguished road Sailing Snake's Avatar
    Hi everyone. I want to join Naval Reserves, but my parents read an article about training at West Point that includes "events" such as swimming with your hands tied up, UFC-style boxing matches, and lying in prone position for nearly a week. I told them that I want to join Naval Reserves, not Army Reserves, but they think the basic training for both services is the same (ie. West Point style). Does anyone here know what exactly is Naval Reserve (of the CF) is really like?

Quote Originally Posted by BravoNiner View Post
    Hi everyone. I want to join Naval Reserves, but my parents read an article about training at West Point that includes "events" such as swimming with your hands tied up, UFC-style boxing matches, and lying in prone position for nearly a week. I told them that I want to join Naval Reserves, not Army Reserves, but they think the basic training for both services is the same (ie. West Point style). Does anyone here know what exactly is Naval Reserve (of the CF) is really like?
    In Canada the Naval Reserve takes the same basic training course as all three elements in the regular force, and it does not include the things you've listed above. (I doubt that training at West Point includes those either, actually.) The training is challenging to many people, but recruits are not abused or mistreated, nor are they subject to unreasonable danger.

If there's a Naval Reserve unit near your home you can speak to a recruiter there. He or she can give detailed answers to your questions, and those of your parents.

Depending on the current policy, which I'm not certain of, you can join the Naval Reserve either at 16 or 17 years old with permission from your parents, or you can wait until you're 18 and not require anyone's permission to join.

You have a link to the article by any chance? Sounds like a hoot. Something you'd see in The Onion.

Your basic will be different then other elements or at least you will be doing courses separately then the other elements. Personally I've never seen any Naval Reservists out in the local training area doing map & compass.

To add to McKay's post, you can join at 16 as long as you've completed grade 10. I had a friend who got a waiver saying he would pass all his courses, so they could get his paperwork out of the way so he could go on course the summer after grade 10.
    Cede Nullis - Yield To None

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    Your basic will be different then other elements or at least you will be doing courses separately then the other elements. Personally I've never seen any Naval Reservists out in the local training area doing map & compass.
    NCMs in the Naval Reserve (and Air Reserve, I believe) take the same basic course as all elements of the regular force. It can be in St. Jean, or sometimes elsewhere. (A few years ago the Naval Reserve was running its own training centre in Borden, but teaching the same course as at St. Jean.)

Some, or possibly all, Militia members take a Militia-specific course at their units.

You have a link to the article by any chance? Sounds like a hoot. Something you'd see in The Onion.
    No, Sir. I don't have the article. Besides, the article is in Chinese. I could perhaps translate some of it though.

A while ago, Rick Mercer visited a military research facility in Toronto as part of his show (the episode where he got on the big spinny thing). I was wondering if anyone know what that branch of the government and/or military is called, and how do I apply and get into it? Thanks.

Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    A while ago, Rick Mercer visited a military research facility in Toronto as part of his show (the episode where he got on the big spinny thing). I was wondering if anyone know what that branch of the government and/or military is called, and how do I apply and get into it? Thanks.
    I worked at the Canadian Forces Experimentation Center, a sub-unit of DRDC, last summer. Its all about where they need specific occupations. That said, the campus I worked at was almost entirely comprised of senior Air Force Officers.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi, does anyone know if there's an eyesight requirement for joining Naval Reserves? I'm considering signing up when I hit university (if I live close enough).
    OS Zeng
    Recruit
    HMCS York

Hi, does anyone know if there's an eyesight requirement for joining Naval Reserves? I'm considering signing up when I hit university (if I live close enough).
    yes there are minimum eye sight requirements for all parts of the CF.

Get an eye test done at a opticians, ask them what V level you are. IIRC V3 is the minimum for all Navy trades (with the exception of specialties like divers etc.)
    Cede Nullis - Yield To None

I thought the V levels were Canadian Forces labels. I doubt a civilian optician would know what they are.

If you give your optician the following chart (or if you already know what your vision is), you can determine your V level:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/polic...exAappen_e.pdf

And here are the minimum medial requirements for the different NCM and Officer trades:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/polic...appen1-2_e.pdf

I would assume this applies to the PRes as well as the RegF, but I would check with the recruiting centre to be certain.
    2Lt Thomas Huet
    Air Combat Systems Officer

ACSO 1302 - 1CFFTS
    College No. 25193

Quote Originally Posted by Huet View Post
    I thought the V levels were Canadian Forces labels. I doubt a civilian optician would know what they are.

If you give your optician the following chart (or if you already know what your vision is), you can determine your V level:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/polic...exAappen_e.pdf

And here are the minimum medial requirements for the different NCM and Officer trades:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/polic...appen1-2_e.pdf

I would assume this applies to the PRes as well as the RegF, but I would check with the recruiting centre to be certain.

When I went to my optician she was able to look it up.
    Captain MK Wilson, RSW
    gsm

lol. I tend to make work for myself.
    2Lt Thomas Huet
    Air Combat Systems Officer

ACSO 1302 - 1CFFTS
    College No. 25193

IIRC V3 is the minimum for all Navy trades (with the exception of specialties like divers etc.)
    There are quite a few for which V4 is acceptable as well.

That centre is used to test the pilot trainees to help assess if they are able to handle the G force required to fly alot of the air craft
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"