+ Reply to Thread

[CANADA] CADPAT as a cadet in public?

Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the completely wrong area of the forums, I'm still new.

Anyways --

I know some COs (not all) are fine with Cadets wearing CADPAT and all, depending just on who it is and what unit and etc. Regardless of this,

If a cadet wearing CADPAT had no choice but to temporarily wear said uniform in public due to whatever circumstances (timing issues, etc.), do you think it would be disrespectful towards the CF? I know there are a lot of stolen valour issues, but if they were to say, wear a brassard that says "CADET", have the CADET rank slip-on, and directly state they are not a CF member, how would you feel about this?

CW Staff Writer Thundah is on a distinguished road Thundah's Avatar
    It's still illegal and not allowed under any circumstances as you are wearing a current issue military uniform as a civilian.

There's a reason why cadets have been strictly prohibited from wearing it for nearly a decade.

So, no you shouldn't wear it. I don't understand why some COs permit it when the olive green combats work just as well and are perfectly legal and not against dress regulations.

Also you cannot wear cadet slipons on any combat uniform other than the olive green ones.

TL;DR no, it's not okay, probably a bit disrespectful mainly because you are not allowed to wear it
    L.T. Korolenchuk
    Flight Sergeant (Ret'd)

aircsmlsm | canada

Quote Originally Posted by Thundah View Post
    It's still illegal and not allowed under any circumstances as you are wearing a current issue military uniform as a civilian.
    I am not sure it is illegal, but may be against some Cadet policies.

I do not know the current Cadet polices for CADPAT wear (so do not take this as authority to do so), but here are my thoughts as a Regular Force member and someone who wears CADPAT everyday. I do not care if Cadets wear CADPAT, even in the public eye, on the condition that there are identified as Cadets (slip on with CADET on the title) or a brasard indicating they are a Cadet.

I am more concerned about how they wear the uniform and carry themselves when in CADPAT (or any uniform) in the public eye. If they are smartly dressed and carry themselves as a member of a time honoured organization that is affiliated to the Canadian Armed Forces then I am good with it.

The same applies to my soldiers. If they want to some on the way home from work and get some groceries, I am good with this, but when I see them in the milk isle the ought best be sharply turned out (beret on, boots blacken, pants bloused, etc) and well presented (not chewing gum, talking on a cell phone, leaning against the shelves, swearing, or have their hands in their pockets).

Just my 2 cents.

MedicalGuy
    gcs2ssmcpsmnatofyqdjmcd1osjsm

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By MedicalGuy :

Which legislation are you thinking of here?

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    Which legislation are you thinking of here?
    I was reading around and I came to the conclusion that wearing a current issue CF uniform is a no-no for civilians unless they have permission but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe I'm confusing it for the US's policy.

I know cadets aren't allowed to wear it according to the dress regs for certain.
    L.T. Korolenchuk
    Flight Sergeant (Ret'd)

aircsmlsm | canada

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    I was reading around and I came to the conclusion that wearing a current issue CF uniform is a no-no for civilians unless they have permission but I guess I'm wrong.
    Never heard anything about permission; IIRC, the relevant legislation is focused on wear of uniform or other identifiers to (basically) defraud or deceive.

8. The Following User Likes This Post By quadrapiper :

Quote Originally Posted by quadrapiper View Post
    Never heard anything about permission; IIRC, the relevant legislation is focused on wear of uniform or other identifiers to (basically) defraud or deceive.
    I probably misinterpreted it.
    L.T. Korolenchuk
    Flight Sergeant (Ret'd)

aircsmlsm | canada