+ Reply to Thread
    ML88 is on a distinguished road ML88's Avatar

College and Uni after Cadets

Hello everyone! ML88 here and it has been quite a long time since I have posted anything on here but I am looking to maybe get back to it! I have just been wondering if any of you who did not go the military route and are going civie side after cadets are still noticing kind of how almost "un disciplined" the civie side is...especially in schools and at jobs?

Also welcome to the College and Uni thred!

CPO2 Marcus Levis (ret.) 2008-2015
    R.C.S.C.C. 319 Centurion
    A great cadet career is only as good as the memories you make and keep!

I'm not sure about undisciplined, but cutting corners is something I do see frequently. One thing I definitely notice is most of the time in group work, I end up as the group leader since most people prefer to be followers in a group. For the most part, it's fine until you get a member that doesn't want to do anything

The most unprofessional stuff that I saw ended up being in the first and second year with cheating or outright not attending (I remember one student didn't attend half the semester and then cheated on the final exam only to result in getting kicked out). Those students usually get weeded out really quickly once they get into a difficult upper-level course though.
    こんにちは!
    japan
    rclcme scsm

CW Staff Writer Thundah is on a distinguished road Thundah's Avatar
    Kinda off topic but I wonder how it is to still volunteer with a unit while you are at college or university...

I'm about to age out, getting pretty nervous.
    L. Korolenchuk
    Flight Sergeant (Ret'd)

aircsmlsm | canada

I transfered to 875 as a cadet in my first year, aged out in January of my first year and have been volunteering/working at 875 since. It's definitely been a balancing act at times, but if you are clear with the CO up front that you are a student and are willing to do what your an, but there are limits to your availability, most COs would be very understanding. Many units in towns with a university have students as part of their staff. Especially in small towns where the university is essentially the town.

When I took over as CO of 875 in October, our final "permanent" resident of the town left (she was the outgoing CO). I now have a staff, myself included, that are entirely students, or student-aged and possibly leaving in the next few years. We work as a team and get the job done.
    Capt Derrick McKee
    Commanding Officer
    875 Antigonish Lions RCACS

5. The Following User Likes This Post By AI09McKee :

Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundah View Post
    Kinda off topic but I wonder how it is to still volunteer with a unit while you are at college or university...

I'm about to age out, getting pretty nervous.
    Not sure if you're planning to stay in Hamilton for school, but if that's the case, I would highly recommend going to a new unit if you do intend to go the adult staff route. It makes your transition much easier as the cadets at your new unit see you as a member of the adult staff rather than another senior cadet.

As said before, let the CO know that you're a student and make your commitment clear (what time you can/can't give). As long as you're up front from the start and make a point to not bite off more than you can chew you'll be fine.

In my opinion our program wouldn't function without students like you willing to give up their time to be a CV or CIC Officer. I personally went directly into the CIC after my cadet time and haven't regretted that decision. Lots of great leadership experience to be gained as an adult staff member with this program that applies directly to many job interviews you'll find yourself in.
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

7. The Following User Likes This Post By Travis Buckle :

CW Staff Writer Thundah is on a distinguished road Thundah's Avatar
    A bit of an update on that, I did manage to pop by a unit and yoink a paper off of them. Might become a thing, I don't know.

I'm more worried about handing in my first essay.....that I have yet to start working on
    L. Korolenchuk
    Flight Sergeant (Ret'd)

aircsmlsm | canada