+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glider 2k17

Icelsi is on a distinguished road
    Question Glider 2k17

So I've applied and studying pretty hard right now (exam in February). Anyone else out there?

2. The Following User Likes This Post By Icelsi :

best of luck, study hard! =D
    Air Cadet Collector
    Always looking for more people to trade with!

x_paden_x is on a distinguished road x_paden_x's Avatar
    I head for my interview in February. This will be my second round of Boards, and my first attempt of Glider. Does anyone have any helpful advice? The Manual we (Alberta) were provided is sufficient in information, but in no way outlines what to expect besides "Questions about glider" during the board.

So, any Glider Pilots got any tips or advice on what to expect? What should I invest more time towards?

Thanks in advance
    "Sometimes, you just gotta take all the mayo packets you find from the mess hall..." -A cadet I overheard on course, who at the time, was in fact putting mayo packets into his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by x_paden_x View Post
    I head for my interview in February. This will be my second round of Boards, and my first attempt of Glider. Does anyone have any helpful advice? The Manual we (Alberta) were provided is sufficient in information, but in no way outlines what to expect besides "Questions about glider" during the board.

So, any Glider Pilots got any tips or advice on what to expect? What should I invest more time towards?

Thanks in advance
    When I did my interviews (Central Region in Ontario) for glider and power, I was asked questions regarding current news (national and local and worldwide), and I believe that I was asked about why I wanted to be selected for the Glider scholarship (and also Power scholarship the next year), they can also ask geography and citizenship questions like when was canada founded or like why is 2017 such a big year for Canada. They can also ask for prime ministers and other stuff. But this is less likely as it doesn't really apply to the flying scholarships. And I don't remember if they asked me these questions.

The main things to focus on would be the news and some technical questions that can be answered briefly like "how does a glider fly" and "would today be a good flying day". They WILL ask about your strenghts and weaknesses (as do most interviews to judge your character) and they will want to know what you will do with the scholarship: "Will you keep gliding? do you aim to become a famil pilot and help out with the program?" They just want to make sure they don't waste the money spent on the training.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!
    gliderwingspowerwings
    CI P. Golshan
    "Did you know that two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an ?"
    aircsm1rclcmelsm

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdabird View Post
    When I did my interviews (Central Region in Ontario) for glider and power, I was asked questions regarding current news (national and local and worldwide), and I believe that I was asked about why I wanted to be selected for the Glider scholarship (and also Power scholarship the next year), they can also ask geography and citizenship questions like when was canada founded or like why is 2017 such a big year for Canada. They can also ask for prime ministers and other stuff. But this is less likely as it doesn't really apply to the flying scholarships. And I don't remember if they asked me these questions.

The main things to focus on would be the news and some technical questions that can be answered briefly like "how does a glider fly" and "would today be a good flying day". They WILL ask about your strenghts and weaknesses (as do most interviews to judge your character) and they will want to know what you will do with the scholarship: "Will you keep gliding? do you aim to become a famil pilot and help out with the program?" They just want to make sure they don't waste the money spent on the training.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!
    I guess I expected the technical questions. However the citizenship ones I think are new(ish)? My AM board, from what I barely remember of it didn't really ask a lot about geography, or citizenship items... Maybe It was just that interview or the AM board was different, who knows?

Should I be expecting technical questions specific to Glider or am I going to be poked with questions on any lesson from Ground School? I've heard that I should expect both, and the latter of the two is a bit more daunting then the former. I've found some questions online from other regions Scholarship Boards, but I'm not sure if they're actually relevant to current boards (A lot of the papers I've found are from four years ago or less).

I guess I'm not really asking what questions I'll be asked, but more so, what subject areas would be better to study in preparation?

Thanks for the help!
    "Sometimes, you just gotta take all the mayo packets you find from the mess hall..." -A cadet I overheard on course, who at the time, was in fact putting mayo packets into his pocket.

I guess I expected the technical questions. However the citizenship ones I think are new(ish)? My AM board, from what I barely remember of it didn't really ask a lot about geography, or citizenship items... Maybe It was just that interview or the AM board was different, who knows?

Should I be expecting technical questions specific to Glider or am I going to be poked with questions on any lesson from Ground School? I've heard that I should expect both, and the latter of the two is a bit more daunting then the former. I've found some questions online from other regions Scholarship Boards, but I'm not sure if they're actually relevant to current boards (A lot of the papers I've found are from four years ago or less).

I guess I'm not really asking what questions I'll be asked, but more so, what subject areas would be better to study in preparation?

Thanks for the help!

Well, I'm from the Eastern region and in order to prepare for the interview, my squadron provided me with a document with tips on how to be prepared for the interview. I've also made some research in this forum and looked at other websites and came up with interesting results. Here are some links that may help you :

http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/...arship-Journey

http://www.aircadetleaguemb.ca/Leagu...d_Handbook.pdf

http://121redarrows.ca/wp-content/up...-Questions.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRxqKpnO5pI (video, good advice given)

Also, I'm just wondering how hard was the exam assuming you've already done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Icelsi View Post
    Well, I'm from the Eastern region and in order to prepare for the interview, my squadron provided me with a document with tips on how to be prepared for the interview. I've also made some research in this forum and looked at other websites and came up with interesting results. Here are some links that may help you :

http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/...arship-Journey

http://www.aircadetleaguemb.ca/Leagu...d_Handbook.pdf

http://121redarrows.ca/wp-content/up...-Questions.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRxqKpnO5pI (video, good advice given)

Also, I'm just wondering how hard was the exam assuming you've already done it?
    I haven't seen some of those before, I'll be sure to check those out. In return, here's a site I played around with during my prep for my entrance exam:

http://32.yssecure.com/

I would like to point out that it's a practice for the actual license exam, but it's a great thing to toy around with, it's similar to the Entrance exam.

As for the glider exam, here in Alberta I've heard of cadets getting anywhere from sixty to ninety, I personally scored 75%. It is a difficult exam I would say, so definitely study. As for what to study, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give that away, but just know your stuff. There was probably some questions about meteorology, I think some about aerodromes or something, I wrote it a while ago, so I can't entirely remember what was on it. Just be sure to study!

Question

I haven't seen some of those before, I'll be sure to check those out. In return, here's a site I played around with during my prep for my entrance exam:

http://32.yssecure.com/

I would like to point out that it's a practice for the actual license exam, but it's a great thing to toy around with, it's similar to the Entrance exam.

As for the glider exam, here in Alberta I've heard of cadets getting anywhere from sixty to ninety, I personally scored 75%. It is a difficult exam I would say, so definitely study. As for what to study, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give that away, but just know your stuff. There was probably some questions about meteorology, I think some about aerodromes or something, I wrote it a while ago, so I can't entirely remember what was on it. Just be sure to study!
    Were there any questions about gliding procedures, towing, crab on final, etc?

Were there any questions about gliding procedures, towing, crab on final, etc?
    No, I don't believe so. It's an exam based on what you would've learned in ground school, the aforementioned subjects would be material you'd probably learn on course.

Thanks in advance
    One thing the board members almost always ask and catch you off guard is what makes you different from the 20 other cadets that are applying for this scholarship and they don't want to hear the same thing over and over like I want to bring the knowledge and skills back to my squadron and give back come up with something unique that will separate you from the others. Best of luck hope this helped!
    Last edited by kleiner; 30th January 2017 at 20:45. Reason: Spelling mistake

Just finished my exam (85% !!! ) and my interview was pretty mediocre. I answered every question except for a few where I was put inside a situation. Surprisingly, there wasn't any question on personal motivation...

Just finished my exam (85% !!! ) and my interview was pretty mediocre. I answered every question except for a few where I was put inside a situation. Surprisingly, there wasn't any question on personal motivation...
    Congrats! Sounds like you nailed it outta the park! I have T-13 days till mine... Nerv-icited for it beyond belief.

Congrats! Sounds like you nailed it outta the park! I have T-13 days till mine... Nerv-icited for it beyond belief.
    While it is quite normal to feel nervous beforehand, I suggest you to be relaxed during the interview. Just think of it as a polite conversation with 3 adults. Also, most importantly, be yourself, it really helped me. You'll do fine, don't worry.

15. The Following User Likes This Post By Icelsi :

Well, I just completed my Interview yesterday. Fingers crossed!

I don't remember from last year, but how long does the response back usually take?

Also, in the Eastern region, it really depends from year to year. Usually, it varies between between mid-march to beginning April. For the other regions, I was told results usually come beginning April.