+ Reply to Thread

Flags Carried by Air Cadets

Hi. I am flag party commander and within my flag party we carry the Ontario flag. I have checked multiple on line sources and they all say that you cannot carry the provincial/territorial flag. I am going to take this up with my officers but I need hard evidence from CATO's. So if anyone knows which CATO contains this information could you please tell me which CATO it is so that I can site it.

Thanks

Carrying the provincial flag in the squadron flag party, that is odd.
    I shall try to do some looking into it for you, but I bet someone who knows more on it will beat me to it!
    Air Cadet Collector
    Always looking for more people to trade with!

Quote Originally Posted by loshosorus View Post
    Hi. I am flag party commander and within my flag party we carry the Ontario flag. I have checked multiple on line sources and they all say that you cannot carry the provincial/territorial flag. I am going to take this up with my officers but I need hard evidence from CATO's. So if anyone knows which CATO contains this information could you please tell me which CATO it is so that I can site it.

Thanks
    The CATO's don't contain such information. The CATO's are mainly for Admin work and some dress regulations. When it comes to actual drill, (besides Lee Enfield Drill - Which is CATO 54-04), all cadets refer to the CF 201, which is the Canadian Forces Drill manual. I'd suggest you check out chapter 8, section 2. It doesn't directly say that the Provincial Flags are marched on parade.

I have however found concrete evidence that the Provincial flags should not be flown on parade Refering to the CF 200, which is the Manual of Heritage - Chapter 4 says:

"34. Only the following Canadian flags may be carried on parade:
    a. consecrated Colours (see Chapter 5);
    b. official commemorative (Royal) banners (see Section 7, paragraphs 1 and 2);
    c. the National Flag;
    d. the CF Ensign; and
    e. command flags."

AND There is a section just for Canadian Cadet Organisations that says:

CF/FC
    1. Command Colours (combatant navy/air force
    commands only)
    2. Unit Colours (military colleges, armoured and infantry
    regiments and battalions, and air force squadrons
    only)
    3. Command and other camp flags

CADETS
    1. A single cadet organisational “Banner”, when
    authorised.
    2. Army cadet corps flag; air cadet squadron banner
    3. Sea cadet flag; army cadet camp flag; air cadet
    ensign

Let me know if you need more evidence, I can try to find some more, but I think that is as good as it gets
    gliderwingspowerwings
    CI P. Golshan
    "Did you know that two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an ?"
    aircsm1rclcmelsm