+ Reply to Thread

Question How important are school grades for the scholarship program?

I'm going to go out for the glider scholarship this year. I'm going to ask my CO for more info next training night since I'm a little out of the loop on the process and I've signed up for ground school so hopefully I'm on the right track. I'm curious to know how important school grades are to the scholarship. Last school year (Grade 9) was quite underwhelming and I wasn't exactly the best student especially in mathematics. I'm trying to change my attitude and routines for grade 10 this year but I'm wondering, with a Grade 9 report card of mostly C+/B do I have a lower chance of getting a scholarship? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hayhay7789 View Post
    I'm going to go out for the glider scholarship this year. I'm going to ask my CO for more info next training night since I'm a little out of the loop on the process and I've signed up for ground school so hopefully I'm on the right track. I'm curious to know how important school grades are to the scholarship. Last school year (Grade 9) was quite underwhelming and I wasn't exactly the best student especially in mathematics. I'm trying to change my attitude and routines for grade 10 this year but I'm wondering, with a Grade 9 report card of mostly C+/B do I have a lower chance of getting a scholarship? Thanks
    I'm not exactly sure how the process is for someone not from Ontario (it should be roughly the same), but according to previous years' selection criteria, the educational/academic aspect of the scholarship is weighted to a total of 20/100, the rest being rank, time of service, age, interview and others. The academic portion is graded in three ways: current grade level, from 1 point (grade 8 or 9) up to 4 (grade 12+); 1 to 5 for academic level; and current grade, from 1 point at 49% or below up to 11 for 95%+, in your case you'd probably get anything from 4-7 points.

Here's a link of Air Cadet League of Canada - Ontario Provincial Committee handbook for national courses. It is from last year so things are subject to change.
    http://www.aircadetleague.on.ca/wp-c...2-REDUCED-.pdf

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    gliderwingspowerwings
    CI P. Golshan
    "Did you know that two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make an ?"
    aircsm1rclcmelsm

3. The Following User Likes This Post By phoenixdabird :

A quick Google search found this page which says that Education counts for 20/100 of the possible points.

Yes, lower grades will reduce your chances, but that can be overcome by doing well on the exam and interview (and by doing well in school for when you apply to Glider/Power next year).
    Lt C. Woods
    1 West Montreal RCACS

5. The Following User Likes This Post By Woods :

I'm a smart dude i guess

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdabird View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how the process is for someone not from Ontario (it should be roughly the same), but according to previous years' selection criteria, the educational/academic aspect of the scholarship is weighted to a total of 20/100, the rest being rank, time of service, age, interview and others. The academic portion is graded in three ways: current grade level, from 1 point (grade 8 or 9) up to 4 (grade 12+); 1 to 5 for academic level; and current grade, from 1 point at 49% or below up to 11 for 95%+, in your case you'd probably get anything from 4-7 points.

Here's a link of Air Cadet League of Canada - Ontario Provincial Committee handbook for national courses. It is from last year so things are subject to change.

Well I'm not sure about how good of grades dabird got, but I know that my good grades in high school helped me a lot with getting into glider and power scholarship.

I like to brag that I got top academic at my power centre
    gliderwingspowerwings

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By coolmanben99 :

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by coolmanben99 View Post
    Well I'm not sure about how good of grades dabird got, but I know that my good grades in high school helped me a lot with getting into glider and power scholarship.

I like to brag that I got top academic at my power centre
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    A quick Google search found this page which says that Education counts for 20/100 of the possible points.

Yes, lower grades will reduce your chances, but that can be overcome by doing well on the exam and interview (and by doing well in school for when you apply to Glider/Power next year).
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdabird View Post

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! Unfortunately I learned last night from a Sgt friend of mine that our squadron only has two gliding scholarship spaces, and him and another FSgt already occupy it Will clarify with officers first, but looks like I'll have to wait till next year, maybe I'll hit a summer camp instead. By then I'll definitely have some excellent grades to help get me through this.

CW Staff Writer Thundah is on a distinguished road Thundah's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys! Unfortunately I learned last night from a Sgt friend of mine that our squadron only has two gliding scholarship spaces, and him and another FSgt already occupy it Will clarify with officers first, but looks like I'll have to wait till next year, maybe I'll hit a summer camp instead. By then I'll definitely have some excellent grades to help get me through this.
    Having another camp will increase your chances.

Even if there are only two spaces, the occupants of those spaces aren't usually decided until national course interviews and the pre-course exam are finished.
    L. Korolenchuk
    Flight Sergeant (Ret'd)

aircsmlsm | canada

Definitely apply to the other national courses. Part of the national course selection process is to look at your past experiences. Having a six week course such as Advanced Aerospace, Aircraft Maintenance or Airport Operations will give you those extra points and give you that extra perspective of aviation that will help you on GPS.

Applications deadlines are coming up. Things like narratives, transcripts, Fortress documentation and the National Course folder need to be in detachment for review by December 12th. If you haven't started on a narrative yet, start it. If you haven't talked to the officers in charge of the process, talk to them.
    OCdt Brian Wong
    Chief Ground School Instructor, Administration Officer
    150 Hamilton Tiger Squadron