+ Reply to Thread
    MrMystery is on a distinguished road MrMystery's Avatar

Accepting Award With Mace

Hello,
    After reading though both Ch. 14 of the 201 and the old 202, I have yet to see mention of what a Drum Major does when accepting an award on parade (or what to do when leaving the band in general). I have seen several ways of doing it, including grounding the mace, passing the mace off to someone else, or carrying it with oneself. Which, if any, of these are correct? Thank you in advance.
    Officer Cadet Carson
    aircsmgliderwings

Quote Originally Posted by MrMystery View Post
    Hello,
    After reading though both Ch. 14 of the 201 and the old 202, I have yet to see mention of what a Drum Major does when accepting an award on parade (or what to do when leaving the band in general). I have seen several ways of doing it, including grounding the mace, passing the mace off to someone else, or carrying it with oneself. Which, if any, of these are correct? Thank you in advance.
    It isn't in the 201 because, in general, members of the CAF in bands, flag/Colour Parties/guards of honour/etc. would not be called up to receive any awards or trophies they've won during a ceremonial parade. It's more common with cadets but the 201, though used by the cadet organizations, is not written for them so there is no "official" procedure.

I will defer to those with a stronger band background than I for ideas, however.
    Last edited by J-P Johnson; 13th December 2015 at 06:16.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMystery View Post
    Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    It isn't in the 201 because, in general, members of the CAF in bands, flag/Colour Parties/guards of honour/etc. would not be called up to receive any awards or trophies they've won during a ceremonial parade. It's more common with cadets but the 201, though used by the cadet organizations, is not written for them so there is no "official" procedure.

I will defer to those with a stronger band background than I for ideas, however.
    You never pass off the mace to others to hold. You don't see an RSM/CSM do that with their pace stick or drill cane.

You march up smartly like you should, salute and acknowledge the person giving you the award. They can place it in your free hand for a picture and then take it back for you to pick up later. It's that easy.
    Lt(N) Nathan T. Brown, Sr. (Ret'd)
    gsm5cd para
    armycsm1

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By NatoBro :