+ Reply to Thread

Question on With-Arms Drill Movement

Hello, I just have a question about going to Present-Arms from Reverse Arms. The movement is done in the With Arms Compulsery Sequence for competition. I'm just wondering the proper method of doing it. I have seen a bunch of ways, can someone please clarify? Thanks.

Hi there and welcome to CW.

You can find the answer on page 2-41 (page 62 of the PDF) of the Sea Cadet Manual of Drill and Ceremonial. Don't panic because it says "Sea Cadet" -- it's the go-to reference for all three branches. It's an authorized reference for the Central Region drill competition, too. The manual even has diagrams for most positions.

You can find the manual online at this link.
    Capt Eric Coomber
    CO 2828 RCACC

Just to clarify, the position of Rest on Your Arms-Reversed is completely different from the position of Reverse - Arms. The former, i.e. Reverse-Arms, is detailed in the 201 and should be followed as such as there is no equivalent within the SCMD&C. The latter is described in the SCMD&C and that method should be used.

As well, the COA Drill Competition, much to my magrin, is flawed in the sense that whoever wrote the routine didn't look up how to properly do the Present - Arms. In the routine, the command "ATTEN - TION" is given while at the position of Rest on Your Arms-Reversed is given when there is nothing wrong about this within the SCMD&C.
    Naval Cadet Kelvin Wang
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.

Oops. I totally read the wrong movement.

For the purposes of the Central Region drill competition (including the area stages, like COA), the reference in the competition manual is listed as "Central Region (1996). Lee Enfield Rifle Drill – Royal Canadian Sea, Army, and Air Cadets. Borden, ON: Regional Cadet Support Corps / squadron Central." (sic) and NOT the 201.

In the competition manual next to list of commands, it says where the reference for the movement should come from, either the 201, the SCMDC, or this document. Be sure to look in the right place because they may contain conflicting information. The reference listed will be the one you're scored against, so follow that one.

This somewhat bizarre documents can be found here in the File Repository (sign-up required).
    Capt Eric Coomber
    CO 2828 RCACC

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Wang View Post
    Just to clarify, the position of Rest on Your Arms-Reversed is completely different from the position of Reverse - Arms. The former, i.e. Reverse-Arms, is detailed in the 201 and should be followed as such as there is no equivalent within the SCMD&C. The latter is described in the SCMD&C and that method should be used.
    Yes, I am talking about reverse not rest on arms reversed. Also on the compulsory command it says: "note: to be done in reverse order." beside the present arms command from reverse. I don't know if it supercedes the drill manual or not.

Quote Originally Posted by s4uce View Post
    I don't know if it supercedes the drill manual or not.
    This is the page they're marking from, so I would say yes. But feel free to take a risk, because if you're confused, you're probably not the only one.

My philosophy when working with my drill team is pick your battles. For example, trying to get the "change step" in quick time is a real challenge and seems to just mess everyone up and consumes a lot of time reviewing it over and over again. So they take the infraction penalty and spend the rest of their time making the rest look good. We just don't dwell on it.
    Capt Eric Coomber
    CO 2828 RCACC

Quote Originally Posted by Coomber 535 View Post
    Hi there and welcome to CW.

You can find the answer on page 2-41 (page 62 of the PDF) of the Sea Cadet Manual of Drill and Ceremonial. Don't panic because it says "Sea Cadet" -- it's the go-to reference for all three branches. It's an authorized reference for the Central Region drill competition, too. The manual even has diagrams for most positions.

You can find the manual online at this link.
    I looked through the instructions and it doesn't say how to present arms from reverse. :/