+ Reply to Thread

Question How did you enjoy your camp?

Hi, Cameron here i`m new to the forums and I would like to see how you guys liked camp. what do you hate about it? what do you want added? or do you have some stories like me?

I took GT at CFB Greenwood 2nd intake. i had the time of my life and i am just itching to go back! i highly suggest if your a new cadet to go do it, you get paid, givin a shiny new badge etc. etc.

also as a side note, there trying to close Waterville airport, if they close that air cadets here might not get the time to train(power cadets). what do you think about that?

lmckeown is on a distinguished road lmckeown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemomajr View Post
    Hi, Cameron here i`m new to the forums and I would like to see how you guys liked camp. what do you hate about it? what do you want added? or do you have some stories like me?

I took GT at CFB Greenwood 2nd intake. i had the time of my life and i am just itching to go back! i highly suggest if your a new cadet to go do it, you get paid, givin a shiny new badge etc. etc.

also as a side note, there trying to close Waterville airport, if they close that air cadets here might not get the time to train(power cadets). what do you think about that?

Firstly,

Welcome to the Forums

When I was a Cadet I was fortunate enough to attend 5 amazing Summers at CSTC's
    2005 Basic - CFB Bagotville ( 2 Weeks )
    2006 ITLC - CFB Bagotville ( 3 Weeks)
    2008 AMC - CFB North Bay - Canadore College (6 Weeks )
    2010 Glider - ERGS St-Jean ( 6 Weeks)
    2011 Power - ERGS - St-Honore ( 7 Weeks )

Summer Training is really the Whipped Cream on top to this amazing program. Some of the Best summers of my life I spent at cadets, learning about Leadership, Flying etc and Made friends that I still keep in touch with today.

The closing of Waterville wont necessarily mean the closing of Power for Cadets in your region. Power is done at several flight schools and there is a list of candidates every year that RGS ( Regional Gliding School ) picks for a contract. I wouldnt worry much about Power, but I'll leave it up to those more informed then I to explain.
    gliderwingsaircsm1powerwings
    CI L. McKeown
    Chief Instructor | Scholarship Ground School Instructor
    Escadron 518 Rosemont, RCACs

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

JackJack is on a distinguished road JackJack's Avatar
    Power is done in 3 locations in Atlantic region: Moncton, Gander and Greenwood. While the potential closure of the Waterville airport will obviously impact the training in some way, until there is an official notice of closure (in other words, a date set in stone), I believe it's premature to make any speculation as to what will happen to those spots.

I am local to that area, and the closure is being met with some resistance due to the complex nature of the proposal. That's why I believe we need to wait until there is a firm closure date.. it may end up being not as soon as we think.
    Lt Jacqueline Roberts
    517 F/Lt Graham RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
    Power is done in 3 locations in Atlantic region: Moncton, Gander and Greenwood. While the potential closure of the Waterville airport will obviously impact the training in some way, until there is an official notice of closure (in other words, a date set in stone), I believe it's premature to make any speculation as to what will happen to those spots.

I am local to that area, and the closure is being met with some resistance due to the complex nature of the proposal. That's why I believe we need to wait until there is a firm closure date.. it may end up being not as soon as we think.
    Yeah, my cousin is a captain for the RCAF and is an aurora navigator. he told me that its hard for a cessna to refuel and do touch and goes at greenwood due to the alpha jets, aroruas, hurcules, choromonts, beechcraft and cf-18s. The Cessna would be lowest priority. Also Waterville is a great place for civilian pilots to fly and store/park planes. compared to Halifax, Trenton or here in Sydney its easy and convienent.
    For most the sky is the limit, For those who love aviation, the sky is home

"We're paratroopers, lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded." (BoB)

Welcome to Cadet-World, first and foremost!

I am proud of being able to attend 3 Summer Camps so far (and if my graduation works out well, they will be my only ones (RMC)). Over the summers, I have attended:

GT (When I was an Army Cadet),
    BSC (First Year as an Air),
    and finally, SIC this past summer(S-I-C FOREVER!)

All of my camps were an absolute blast, and I have no regrets as to my choices (other than maybe going to GT as an Air Cadet, Hahah!)

SIC is, in MY opinion, the best instructor course available to Air Cadets, and 2nd best in all of the elements (Behind Expedition Instructor in Army).

As for the airport, if it's civilians trying to close it, that's something we have no control over. But if it's DND... Oh boy.
    OCdt A. Kroell
    Former Flight Sergeant//893 Beaufort RCACS 2012-2015
    lsm
    BMOQ '16
    Truth, Duty, Valour//Verite, Devoir, Valliance

Quote Originally Posted by KroellA2K View Post
    Welcome to Cadet-World, first and foremost!

I am proud of being able to attend 3 Summer Camps so far (and if my graduation works out well, they will be my only ones (RMC)). Over the summers, I have attended:

GT (When I was an Army Cadet),
    BSC (First Year as an Air),
    and finally, SIC this past summer(S-I-C FOREVER!)

All of my camps were an absolute blast, and I have no regrets as to my choices (other than maybe going to GT as an Air Cadet, Hahah!)

SIC is, in MY opinion, the best instructor course available to Air Cadets, and 2nd best in all of the elements (Behind Expedition Instructor in Army).

As for the airport, if it's civilians trying to close it, that's something we have no control over. But if it's DND... Oh boy.
    its the county or municipal government wanting to close it. they say its for Michelin to expand yet they have ZERO plans for expansion in the next 15 years! i emailed a councillor and she said i was the 56 sender of a negative concern over the closing.

and they want to move it to greenwood, well with our DND budget, securing the hangers, arms depot and building a small terminal while still operating a forward operations base for the f18s etc. is something DND staff hate dealing with..

...and they want to move it to greenwood, well with our DND budget, securing the hangers, arms depot and building a small terminal while still operating a forward operations base for the f18s etc. is something DND staff hate dealing with..

Since when do we have FOB's from within Canada? CFB Bagotville is not that far from Greenwood by air. Infact, 3 Wing Bagot and 4 Wing Cold Lake are located where they are so they can respond to Threats foreign and domestic. With the new CC-150 MRTT, it increases the Operational Range of the 188's.

Again, this could just be something out of my knowlege but to date, I thought the only Active FOB's were in Ukraine ( recent ) and Kandahar.

From Wiki:
    The RCAF supplies aircraft to Canadian Joint Operations Command which frequently operate from a chain of "Forward Operating Locations" at various civilian airfields across northern Canada, capable of supporting RCAF operations. CF-18 Hornets, CP-140 Auroras and various transport and search and rescue aircraft periodically deploy to these FOLs for short training exercises, Arctic sovereignty patrols, aid to the civil power, or search and rescue operations.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_base
    CI L. McKeown

Quote Originally Posted by lmckeown View Post
    Since when do we have FOB's from within Canada? CFB Bagotville is not that far from Greenwood by air. Infact, 3 Wing Bagot and 4 Wing Cold Lake are located where they are so they can respond to Threats foreign and domestic. With the new CC-150 MRTT, it increases the Operational Range of the 188's.

Again, this could just be something out of my knowlege but to date, I thought the only Active FOB's were in Ukraine ( recent ) and Kandahar.

From Wiki

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_base
    ever since 9/11 gfb greenwood is a ``fob`` for cf18s. so in a crisis lets say russia maybe made a move on Alaska. we spread our fighter resources out so we can target threats better while being able to guard our auroras or the navy. also the f18 pilots like to come down to the valley to fly.

edit: from what i can find out civilian airports are only used for the sea kings and in dire situations that bases are out of service or damaged etc.

ever since 9/11 gfb greenwood is a ``fob`` for cf18s. so in a crisis lets say russia maybe made a move on Alaska. we spread our fighter resources out so we can target threats better while being able to guard our auroras or the navy. also the f18 pilots like to come down to the valley to fly.

edit: from what i can find out civilian airports are only used for the sea kings and in dire situations that bases are out of service or damaged etc.
    Russia Making a move on Alaska would be 4 Wing Cold Lake who is dispatched.
    Greenwood is a Forward Deployment Base. Basically its an Extension of 3 Wing Bagotville for faster response to Threats on the East Coast and Arctic Regions. Besides, Bagotville is closer to the Arctic and further north.

Wiki:
    Together with CFB Gander and CFB Goose Bay, CFB Greenwood is presently being used as a forward deployment base for CF-188 Hornet fighter/interceptor aircraft rotating in from CFB Bagotville as part of NORAD's post-9/11 response to concerns about civilian airline security along North America's east coast.
    I always assume FOB's to be prefab units off base that deal with local disturbances ( ex: CFB Baden-Soelligen )
    CI L. McKeown

Quote Originally Posted by lmckeown View Post
    Russia Making a move on Alaska would be 4 Wing Cold Lake who is dispatched.
    Greenwood is a Forward Deployment Base. Basically its an Extension of 3 Wing Bagotville for faster response to Threats on the East Coast and Arctic Regions. Besides, Bagotville is closer to the Arctic and further north.

Wiki:

I always assume FOB's to be prefab units off base that deal with local disturbances ( ex: CFB Baden-Soelligen )

when you get the idea of fobs i think you have a different idea than me. for me a fob is anywhere where it can house military members and equipment. the prefab fob would be like FOB Robinson in Afghanistan it does not come with the ``CFB`` callsign.

when you get the idea of fobs i think you have a different idea than me. for me a fob is anywhere where it can house military members and equipment. the prefab fob would be like FOB Robinson in Afghanistan it does not come with the ``CFB`` callsign.
    A forward operating base (FOB) is any secured forward military position, commonly a military base, that is used to support tactical operations. An FOB may or may not contain an airfield, hospital, or other facilities. The base may be used for an extended period of time. FOBs are traditionally supported by Main Operating Bases that are required to provide backup support to them.[citation needed] An FOB also improves reaction time to local areas as opposed to having all troops on the main operating base.
    In its most basic form, an FOB consists of a ring of barbed wire around a position with a fortified entry control point, or ECP. More advanced FOBs include an assembly of earthen dams, concrete barriers, gates, watchtowers, bunkers and other force protection infrastructure. They are often built from Hesco bastions.
    There are 3 Base Designations in the CF,
    CFB is Canadian Forces Base Which Designates a Station that Must have at least 1 Major Unit. ( Air Force Wing, Multiple Army Regiments, or Naval Ship )

A CFS is a Canadian Forces Station. It is a minor Base supporting a larger one, and usually entails a minor unit such as an early radar warning unit.

And Camp which is a Temporary Operating Base that usually consists of Prefab buildings set up in remote locations.

Greenwood is a CFB as there is one or more Major Unit based there.

FOB Robinson is a US FOB in Helmand Province. There are CF Forces present there however it is a US Base. As both Canada and the US are part of NATO, Its common for units to be shared amongst allied bases.
    There are 3 CF Bases in Afghanistan and they are as follows;

Camp Julien, Kabul
    Camp Nathan Smith, Kandahar
    Camp Mirage Airbase ( Disbanded )
    CI L. McKeown

Mod Note.

I hate to break up this fascinating conversation but can we start edging back towards the topic of the thread a bit?
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

CW Social Media Team Member dan76937 is on a distinguished road dan76937's Avatar
    Interesting read below.. But as for my summer camps:

GT (Trenton, 2011)
    Basic Drill & Ceremonial (Blackdown, 2012)
    Drill and Ceremonial Instructor Course (Trenton, 2013)

Unfortunately, I didn't go this summer. Summer camp has been some of the best times of my life. If you like drill and want to become a stronger leader, I recommend you take the path I did. I am now however switching focus to flying and applying for the Power Pilot Scholarship next summer...
    Do I have regrets? Of course.. I wish a tried harder and came out on top. I wish I focused more on what needed to be done. But, at the end of the day, how would we learn without making mistakes?

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time at camp. We really are in the best youth organization in the world...
    WOI Dan Smith
    79 Lynton Davies Squadron
    Remember the difference between a boss and a leader; a boss says go- a leader says "Let's go".
    england canada