+ Reply to Thread
    T.Rhynold is on a distinguished road T.Rhynold's Avatar

Wings on Civvies?

So I've been wondering this for a while. What's the deal with wearing pilot wings on civilian clothing? I've seen a few pictures of people wearing glider and power wings with something like a suit but there's nothing in the dress regs about it.
    FSgt Thomas Kavanuagh-Rhynold
    Avenger Flight Commander
    507 F/L McLean Squadron
    gliderwings

The dress regs don't really have anything to say about civilian clothing (except, perhaps, civilian clothing worn on duty). I've never known anyone to wear uniform insignia on civilian clothing except, occasionally, miniature depictions as lapel pins. I'm not sure of the propriety of it, but my guess is that it's probably not a big deal if the person has actually earned whatever is being worn.

You typically see OPC guys (ret'd cadet pilots) with mini's on their suit when going to cadet related events. This to me appears acceptable. I find it promotes the goal in the cadet program. I have never seen any civvy who is not associated with the OPC wearing wings.

Personally, I try to avoid telling people I drive planes....let alone wear wings around on civvies
    powerwings
    Capt A. Oke
    -Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician-
    Ex WOI lsmaircsm1

lmckeown is on a distinguished road lmckeown's Avatar
    I have yet to get the mini's.

I've seen them worn on Lapels for special events such as Mess Diners, Ceremonies, Parades etc. I actually do have a blue dress shirt ( Same as Officers and Cadets ) with CI Ranks, Nametag, and Wings, but I've never worn it. Certain Regions have Regs for CI uniforms, I have yet to see them in Eastern. ( Though Id Like for it to happen ( Blue Shirts, Wings/Medals[Non-Cadet] , Blue CI Rank Slip ons, Dress Shoes and Blue ( or maybe black ) Dress Pants.

But seeing as we are in tough times for the budget, its probably not going to happen, Though I should be trading in CI's for Ocdts shortly, if Eastern ever decides to finially accept my transfer from Pacific. (LOL still waiting )
    gliderwingsaircsm1powerwings
    CI L. McKeown
    Chief Instructor | Scholarship Ground School Instructor
    Escadron 518 Rosemont, RCACs

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by T.Rhynold View Post
    So I've been wondering this for a while. What's the deal with wearing pilot wings on civilian clothing? I've seen a few pictures of people wearing glider and power wings with something like a suit but there's nothing in the dress regs about it.
    Dress regulations have very little control over what someone can wear in civvies, especially if they are no longer serving.

Lots of legion guys wear their wings on their suit jackets, nothing wrong with that. Probably only classy to wear that particular jacket to related events though.