+ Reply to Thread
    CW Social Media Team Member dan76937 is on a distinguished road dan76937's Avatar

Assuming command of the squadron

When a new person takes over command of a parade (ie DepCom, Sqn Commander), do the need to stand the squadron at ease then bring them back to attention, then continue with the parade?

I have looked in the parade sequence in the 201 and could not find anything of the sort, but they are insistent of doing it at my squadron.

Thanks.
    WOI Dan Smith
    79 Lynton Davies Squadron
    Remember the difference between a boss and a leader; a boss says go- a leader says "Let's go".
    england canada

It's been a convention which I've seen but I haven't really found any concrete evidence of it in the 201 being mandatory as opposed to simply a matter of traditional convention. The closest I can find regarding this is in the Sea Cadet Manual of Drill & Ceremonial:

20. The CPO1 shall wait
    until the CPO2 has
    adopted this new
    position before giving
    any further
    commands. It is
    common for the
    CPO1 to exercise
    the Ship’s company
    by ordering it to
    stand at ease and
    then back to attention.

EDIT: Nevermind. Did a Ctrl+F of the 201 of the last couple of words of the section that I just cited.

From 7-4-17 (Forming up a battalion):

20. The DComd shall wait until the CWO
    has adopted his new position before
    giving any further commands. It is
    common for the DComd to exercise
    the battalion by ordering it to stand at
    ease and then back to attention
    before proceeding to No. 21.
    Naval Cadet Kelvin Wang
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.

3. The Following User Likes This Post By Chief Wang :

CW Social Media Team Member dan76937 is on a distinguished road dan76937's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Wang View Post
    It's been a convention which I've seen but I haven't really found any concrete evidence of it in the 201 being mandatory as opposed to simply a matter of traditional convention. The closest I can find regarding this is in the Sea Cadet Manual of Drill & Ceremonial:

20. The CPO1 shall wait
    until the CPO2 has
    adopted this new
    position before giving
    any further
    commands. It is
    common for the
    CPO1 to exercise
    the Ship’s company
    by ordering it to
    stand at ease and
    then back to attention.

EDIT: Nevermind. Did a Ctrl+F of the 201 of the last couple of words of the section that I just cited.

From 7-4-17 (Forming up a battalion):

20. The DComd shall wait until the CWO
    has adopted his new position before
    giving any further commands. It is
    common for the DComd to exercise
    the battalion by ordering it to stand at
    ease and then back to attention
    before proceeding to No. 21.
    Oh okay, makes sense. To be honest, I find it a pain to stand at ease, then attention, then at ease again, then attention, but oh well haha. Thanks sir.
    WOI Dan Smith
    79 Lynton Davies Squadron
    Remember the difference between a boss and a leader; a boss says go- a leader says "Let's go".
    england canada

Quote Originally Posted by dan76937 View Post
    Oh okay, makes sense. To be honest, I find it a pain to stand at ease, then attention, then at ease again, then attention, but oh well haha. Thanks sir.
    It's done in order for the person assuming command to exercise that command, which shows to those on parade that they are now in charge.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

6. The Following User Likes This Post By Juice :

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It's done in order for the person assuming command to exercise that command, which shows to those on parade that they are now in charge.

JB
    Urban legend and not borne out by anything in current (i.e. 201) or previous (i.e. RCAF CAP 90) drill manuals wrt falling in a company/squadron.

In FACT, when the SWO (Parade Warrant Officer) doesn't put the squadron at ease at all during the form-up process.

When the Dep Comd takes over from SWO, the SWO has just finished having the FSgts "REPORT YOUR FLIGHTS" and, when complete, immediately turns about and salutes the Dep Comd who has just arrived. The squadron is at attention throughout the process.

When the DComd takes over, there is no intervening "AT-EASE" or "ATTENTION" upon taking over. The Dep Comd, after having the SWO fall in, immediately falls in the officers who, in turn, stand their individual flights at ease. There are several historical reasons for this which include resting the troops (falling-in, in this form, was done at the battalion level with 10 companies of 100 men, not 2 or 3 flights of 30) and giving a visual indication to the Dep Comd that the handover process is finished.

When the Sqn Comd arrives, the Dep Comd brings the entire unit to attention and the Sqn Comd assumes command by exchanging salutes and ordering the Dep Comd to fall-in. The sequence of forming up a company/squadron listed in table 7-3-1 of the 201 does not end with the Sqn Comd bringing the unit to attention; but ends with them putting the squadron at ease with the note:
    The Coy Comd carries on by inspecting the platoons, having the platoon commanders inspect their own platoons, or proceeding with training or ceremonial.
    In the case of "ceremonial", for example, the squadron remains at ease (or even stood easy) until the reviewing officer approaches where the unit is brought back to attention, not as a signal that the Sqn Comd is in command, but as part of the sequence leading to the formal greeting of the dignitary (i.e. general salute). What is NOT supposed to occur (but, unfortunately often does) is the Sqn Comd putting the unit at ease, back to attention and then back at ease. There is no basis in the 201 for this at the company level.

This is one of those things where people make up a back-story to an oft-repeated mistake to justify that error.
    Last edited by J-P Johnson; 2nd June 2014 at 06:42.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

8. The Following User Likes This Post By J-P Johnson :