+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RGS Atlantic

T.Rhynold is on a distinguished road T.Rhynold's Avatar

Air RGS Atlantic

I got accepted for glider a week or two ago. I was wondering if anyone who's been to RGS A (Debert) could tell me about it. Electronics policy, daily schedule, barracks, etc.
    FSgt Thomas Kavanuagh-Rhynold
    Avenger Flight Commander
    507 F/L McLean Squadron
    gliderwings

Hey there,
    Glider in Debert was without a doubt the best six weeks of my entire life so far. It was probably the most physically and mentally demanding thing I have ever done. You usually wear PT gear under a flight suit(flight suits are sooo comfy! ) with your cadet boots and wedge until you get passed the traintracks on the bus then you change into running shoes and your RGSA baseball cap.

The days are spent mainly at the airfield and ground school. One flight has ground school in the morning and one flight is out flying and after lunch, they swap positions. Out at the field, usually the lunch or supper is sandwhiches but the odd time they will have pizza or a hot meal that they bring out from the mess hall. You always eat breakfast at the mess hall by the college. It will be extremely exhausting as you crew gliders whenever you aren't up flying. Everyone has to pitch in to do tasks so wing, tail, hook up, log book, L19 signaller etc.

When you're done ground school and flying, you go to the college and generally do mandatory study but I recommend using as much of your free time as possible studying because an hour a day isn't enough with the amount of stuff you're learning. You will have 4 exams and one TC issued exam at the beginning of August. I recommend bringing alot of civilian clothing as it is extremely relaxed when you're at the agricultural college residence. Sundays were usually days off, we went to a movie and Victoria Park aswell as Truro mall. You can have your electronics any time you're there but you have to sign them out from Duty. All staff live in the same residence as you. Staff are very chill generally. You have the best people in your flight, and they soon turn into family

It's very challenging but the reward is ultimate. You get to do the traditions( you'll learn them on course) and wear those wings with pride because PRTW. The sky is your limit, but it's soon to be your playground. Best of luck on glider 2014!

3. The Following User Likes This Post By raylenedavid :

T.Rhynold is on a distinguished road T.Rhynold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raylenedavid View Post
    Hey there,
    Glider in Debert was without a doubt the best six weeks of my entire life so far. It was probably the most physically and mentally demanding thing I have ever done. You usually wear PT gear under a flight suit(flight suits are sooo comfy! ) with your cadet boots and wedge until you get passed the traintracks on the bus then you change into running shoes and your RGSA baseball cap.

The days are spent mainly at the airfield and ground school. One flight has ground school in the morning and one flight is out flying and after lunch, they swap positions. Out at the field, usually the lunch or supper is sandwhiches but the odd time they will have pizza or a hot meal that they bring out from the mess hall. You always eat breakfast at the mess hall by the college. It will be extremely exhausting as you crew gliders whenever you aren't up flying. Everyone has to pitch in to do tasks so wing, tail, hook up, log book, L19 signaller etc.

When you're done ground school and flying, you go to the college and generally do mandatory study but I recommend using as much of your free time as possible studying because an hour a day isn't enough with the amount of stuff you're learning. You will have 4 exams and one TC issued exam at the beginning of August. I recommend bringing alot of civilian clothing as it is extremely relaxed when you're at the agricultural college residence. Sundays were usually days off, we went to a movie and Victoria Park aswell as Truro mall. You can have your electronics any time you're there but you have to sign them out from Duty. All staff live in the same residence as you. Staff are very chill generally. You have the best people in your flight, and they soon turn into family

It's very challenging but the reward is ultimate. You get to do the traditions( you'll learn them on course) and wear those wings with pride because PRTW. The sky is your limit, but it's soon to be your playground. Best of luck on glider 2014!
    Awesome, sounds like a time. What do you mean by passed the train tracks?
    FSgt Thomas Kavanuagh-Rhynold
    Avenger Flight Commander
    507 F/L McLean Squadron
    gliderwings