+ Reply to Thread

The successes of Sea Cadet Sailors!

Hi all,

I would like to draw your attention to two Vancouver Island Sea Cadets, who are making waves in the cadet and civilian sailing programs. PO1 Stewart Clark (5 RCSCC) and PO2 Chris Volkers (RCSCC Port Augusta) have been performing incredibly well in Canada for sailing. Their achievements include:
    -2 silver medal finishes at the National Sea Cadet Regatta
    -3rd overall in the BC Sailing Circuit
    -3rd at the Canadian Youth Nationals at RVanYC in August.

The last, and most important achievement listed qualified these boys for the USA Midwinters Regatta in Florida in February 2014. If they perform well, they may qualify for the opportunity to represent Canada at the Youth Worlds in Portugal. They are one of the only three teams that have been endorsed by Sail Canada to race in Florida this February. The exciting thing is that these boys entered the cadet program with some sailing experience (Stewart very little, Chris with a lot), and have used the skills and training that they have received from the Cadet Program from the LHQ, Sail Centers, Race Teams and CSTC's to get this far!

I have been lucky enough to have coached these boys through much of their cadet careers and with great pride seen them go move forward with performance coaches to improve their sailing ability. This a great example of the potential that our Sea Cadets have in the sailing program! I wanted to shed light on the achievements we've had in Pacific Region with our sailing race team. There are 20 cadets on the Pacific Sailing team, with many more on reserve. These opportunities DO happen to those who work hard for them. This year, Pacific Region and Northwest had a total of eight teams participate in the Canadian Youth Championships in Vancouver.

My final point I want to make is that these boys are having a tough time paying for this trip. They need $9000 to make it to the regatta. If this is something that inspires you, check out their website for more information. They're always looking for donations. http://pacificsailingteam.weebly.com/
    6487745.jpg
    SLt Michael Jarosz

Pacific Region Sailing Race Team Coach
    South Vancouver Island Sail Center Head Instructor

2. The Following User Likes This Post By M Jarosz :

Breathing life into an older thread... just was looking for an update on the team's progress / results.

Did they raise the money and compete well in Florida?

Cheers
    LCdr J.L. Kuehnl-Cadwell, CD
    qgjmcd2

Quote Originally Posted by M Jarosz View Post
    Hi all,

I would like to draw your attention to two Vancouver Island Sea Cadets, who are making waves in the cadet and civilian sailing programs.
    If there was a "Sea Cadet Hall of Fame" you would be there as well Michael.
    GWP
    osjqgjm
    qdjmcd1osjsm

mvac

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
    Breathing life into an older thread... just was looking for an update on the team's progress / results.

Did they raise the money and compete well in Florida?

Cheers
    They were able to raise enough funds and compete. They competed against the top 420 sailors in North America, and were able to hold their own. In one race they finished 7th! Overall they placed 52nd out of a fleet of 92 (http://www.club420.org/results/14ULfinalscores.pdf, which is great for their first time competing at the international level. Although the boys were unable to successfully qualify for the 420 Worlds in Portugal, they received a nod from Sail Canada on their website recognizing their efforts and the fact that they nearly missed out qualifying to worlds [http://sailing.ca/features/announcin...uth_world_team (scroll down to the subtitle 420)].

Pacific Region just wrapped up their National Qualifying Regatta this weekend and both boys qualified for the National Sea Cadet Regatta for this summer.

Currently, Cadet Stewart Clark has moved up into the 29er, and has been training hard. He's considering to compete in 29er Worlds in Kingston, ONT this summer and recently returned from San Diego racing in the 29er. Christopher Volkers is still racing in the 420 as well as the Laser.

Quote Originally Posted by GWP View Post
    If there was a "Sea Cadet Hall of Fame" you would be there as well Michael.
    Why thank you sir! But these boys have most certainly taken it further than I have. I'm really excited they have taken the skills that they have learned in the Sea Cadet Sailing Program, and have applied them at the international level!
    SLt Michael Jarosz

Pacific Region Sailing Race Team Coach
    South Vancouver Island Sail Center Head Instructor

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By M Jarosz :