+ Reply to Thread

Question Using Cadets as a credit for highschool

Hey,
    I'm wondering if anyone here has ever heard of being able to count your annual training through cadets as a highschool credit? I remember reading a while ago (can't for the life of me remember where) that it was possible to do this and count it as an elective or leadership/citizenship course; so I am wondering if anyone here has ever heard of such a thing, or done it themselves. If you have, what steps did you have to take to get it approved? Many thanks in advance.

Lt Ferreira is on a distinguished road Lt Ferreira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TowersL View Post
    Hey,
    I'm wondering if anyone here has ever heard of being able to count your annual training through cadets as a highschool credit? I remember reading a while ago (can't for the life of me remember where) that it was possible to do this and count it as an elective or leadership/citizenship course; so I am wondering if anyone here has ever heard of such a thing, or done it themselves. If you have, what steps did you have to take to get it approved? Many thanks in advance.
    Talk to your school counselor. In BC you get credit for Level 3/4/5 or summer courses.
    Capt Drew Ferreira
    Commanding Officer
    258 "Little Giant" RCACS - Chetwynd, BC

3. The Following User Likes This Post By Lt Ferreira :

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lt Ferreira View Post
    Talk to your school counselor. In BC you get credit for Level 3/4/5 or summer courses.
    What if you're homeschooled? Who would be a good person to talk to in that situation? Also, does anyone know what specifically is required to get the credit? i.e. attendance verification from officers, report on year's training, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by TowersL View Post
    What if you're homeschooled? Who would be a good person to talk to in that situation? Also, does anyone know what specifically is required to get the credit? i.e. attendance verification from officers, report on year's training, etc.?
    I don't believe the credit system that BC employs with cadets is used in Saskatchewan.
    Naval Cadet Kelvin Wang
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.

Some of my cadets have successfully earned co-op credits for National courses (AATC-AO/AM). (Halton District School Board, Ontario).
    2Lt Richard Dobbs
    197 Typhoon RCACS
    Flight Scholarship Officer
    Assistant Training Officer

Lt Ferreira is on a distinguished road Lt Ferreira's Avatar
    Quick Google search came up pretty empty, however they do allow transfer credits for Cadet Training 11 if received from another province. So likely they would give credit.

I would ask what documentation would be required from your home school contact. My counselor took my word for it as he had seen me multiple times in uniform however other students just used their cadet information card and a quick letter from the CO.
    Capt Drew Ferreira
    Commanding Officer
    258 "Little Giant" RCACS - Chetwynd, BC

Thanks for all your help so far. My CO said that it was possible to count it as an elective, and he's currently looking up exactly how to go about doing that. I'll keep you guys posted, and put up details on how I accomplish it when I recieve that information. Hopefully it will work out because if it does, I'll be graduating two years early!!!!