+ Reply to Thread
    CW Social Media Team Member steven2127 is on a distinguished road steven2127's Avatar
    HMCS Acadia 2013

Well, since there seems to be a thread for every other CSTC :P Who else is going to HMCS Acadia this summer?
    canadaCPO1 Day-Reidnl
    Coxswain RCSCC Great Eastern
    scsmrclcme

I am!! Haha! Im going up for a 3 week basic band course! 2nd Intake
    MSKnickle

dbrooks319 is on a distinguished road dbrooks319's Avatar
    I wanna come back :'(
    CPO1 Daniel Brooks
    rcscRCSCC 319 Centurionrcsc
    Coxswain

scsmrclcmelsm

Boatswain Kid is on a distinguished road Boatswain Kid's Avatar
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    I was at HMCS ACADIA in 2009 for TG2 Boatswain... it was quite a different experience compared to QUADRA, for example, course cadets were allowed to order pizza, and could "walk" (as opposed to marching with arms swinging) to the canteen. Some of my friends have told me that the environment and rules there have changed since then - I'm rather curious to find out if ACADIA has gotten 'stricter' since then.
    CPO1 Nathan Wong
    lsmnlcaescsm
    HMCS QUADRA SCSTC Coxswain 2013
    Coxswain, RCSCC LONSDALE, North Vancouver, BC
    canada

5. The Following User Likes This Post By Boatswain Kid :

Somehow I doubt it. Acadia was no different when I was on TGIII Boatswain in '05 and staff in '06. While the course cadets could order pizza back then it wasn't done very often since the galley food was decent.

As for walking, that's a different story. While there was no requirement to form a division they also didn't really allow sauntering. You went from Point A to Point B smartly and promptly. Of course, if it was during training hours that's completely different and more like Quadra.

I quite enjoyed Acadia the two summers I spent there simply because it was a very different experience.
    Andrew Flavell

Boatswain Kid is on a distinguished road Boatswain Kid's Avatar
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    A Unique Experience

I'm a little bored so I'm going to share my thoughts about ACADIA...

I enjoyed it as well because it was a new and unique experience... but I didn't think the food was all that great or different (similar to food at QUADRA).

As a Boatswain, I disliked how there was no dock for all the vessels, and cadets had to wade out to the boats, getting their footwear wet. I didn't bring water-shoes since I assumed from TG1 at QUADRA that there would be a jetty. For safety reasons, we couldn't go barefoot, so every day (often entire days, with the infamous "Sea Ops Sandwiches" as a lunch) on the water was quite uncomfortable with soaking wet cadet runners. Sea Phase was underwhelming, as there were no PCTs or even YAGs. The weather was so bad we had to take a bus back to the training centre from the fishing boats. I even have a picture of a mini-lake that formed on top of the plastic tarp that was supposed to have shielded us from the torrential downpour.

Meeting new people from the East Coast was certainly the highlight of that year. I was introduced to different kinds of music, interests, and even learned new vocabulary...
    Since there were 4 lanes for getting food from the galley, there was less line-up than QUADRA, which was nice. Plus, you get to scoop your own ice cream! The double lockers were definitely nice to have. The actual movie theatre building made movies enjoyable as a course cadet at ACADIA (cadets could actually hear the movie!) The Ping-Pong tables in the canteen area were the best. All considered, the training centre itself is decent (I will stop myself from complaining about the Sea Ops building).

In my opinion, ACADIA is suited best for more laid-back and relaxed cadets. The only evidence I have for this is my own 6-week experience back in 2009, so it could have changed dramatically since then. We had quite a bit of free time, so there was certainly some shenanigans going on in the blocks.
    CPO1 Nathan Wong
    lsmnlcaescsm
    HMCS QUADRA SCSTC Coxswain 2013
    Coxswain, RCSCC LONSDALE, North Vancouver, BC
    canada

8. The Following User Likes This Post By Boatswain Kid :

CW Social Media Team Member steven2127 is on a distinguished road steven2127's Avatar
    It has changed since 2009. I was in GT that year and things certainly have changed. It was disallowed to order food from outside the camp unless your Divisional Officer did it. I've partly it was because the pizza owner started to raise the cadet's prices, but there's no evidence that I know of supporting it.
    canadaCPO1 Day-Reidnl
    Coxswain RCSCC Great Eastern
    scsmrclcme

Going to HMCS Acadia for 6 weeks. Boatswains mate specialty course. I'm really, really exited. I'm from the GTA, does anybody know how the airplane ride from Toronto to NS works? I know that we normally travel in dress uniform but I was reading the CATO annex and it said that maritime province travel does not wear dress uniform.

What is the standard from ON to NS? (If anybody knows because I've never been to Acadia, only Ontario for 3 years)

Quote Originally Posted by CadetSzarko View Post
    Going to HMCS Acadia for 6 weeks. Boatswains mate specialty course. I'm really, really exited. I'm from the GTA, does anybody know how the airplane ride from Toronto to NS works? I know that we normally travel in dress uniform but I was reading the CATO annex and it said that maritime province travel does not wear dress uniform.

What is the standard from ON to NS? (If anybody knows because I've never been to Acadia, only Ontario for 3 years)
    What CATO are you looking at? As last year we had our cadets leave to go to Acadia in full C1's.

Either if they send you by Military or Commercial, you must be in full C1's unless otherwise ordered by Travel Staff. As you are going upon Queen's land, as it is a "HMCS". Usually you will be sent by Commercial. Acadia is in Clementsport, I would say you would fly into Digby Airport, I would say. Correct me if I am wrong. Then you will be driven to HMCS Acadia, by "Movement Staff", then begin intake.
    CPO2 O'Rourke

scsm

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2597 View Post
    What CATO are you looking at? As last year we had our cadets leave to go to Acadia in full C1's.

Either if they send you by Military or Commercial, you must be in full C1's unless otherwise ordered by Travel Staff. As you are going upon Queen's land, as it is a "HMCS". Usually you will be sent by Commercial. Acadia is in Clementsport, I would say you would fly into Digby Airport, I would say. Correct me if I am wrong. Then you will be driven to HMCS Acadia, by "Movement Staff", then begin intake.
    I was looking through the operation order for traveling to clementsport. I looked through "travel" and it refferred me to "annex K". In the annex it stated "When taking air travel to a maritime province C1 - 2 uniform is not to be worn". I would just like clairification.

Quote Originally Posted by CadetSzarko View Post
    I was looking through the operation order for traveling to clementsport. I looked through "travel" and it refferred me to "annex K". In the annex it stated "When taking air travel to a maritime province C1 - 2 uniform is not to be worn". I would just like clairification.
    As I said we had to send our cadets in full C1's. I know PO2 Obrien has to leave in full C1's for TG3 Bonz. I guess you would to. Your best bet is to wait for your travel orders.
    CPO2 O'Rourke

scsm

14. The Following User Likes This Post By Joshua2597 :

You travel in C-2. Reference is CATO 35-01 Annex F.

a. Weekly training at LHQ.
    b. Divisions, parades and inspections.
    c. Appropriate cadet social occasions.
    d. When travelling to and from SCTEs.
    e. Other occasions as ordered

That's the standard. Of course, if your travel orders come in and say differently, then go with the instructions that your travel orders have. If anyone gives you hell for it, refer them to your instructions.
    CI Kelvin Wang (王天承)
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.
    National PokÚdex Count: 610

16. The Following User Likes This Post By Chief Wang :

Quote Originally Posted by steven2127 View Post
    It has changed since 2009. I was in GT that year and things certainly have changed. It was disallowed to order food from outside the camp unless your Divisional Officer did it. I've partly it was because the pizza owner started to raise the cadet's prices, but there's no evidence that I know of supporting it.
    This policy changed due to the implementation of healthy living policy for CSTCs in the Atlantic Region. In order for Pizza to be ordered or other snacks foods to be consumed by cadets the Div O needs to submit a request up their Chain of Command. In the past the CO of the CSTC was the final approving authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Wang View Post
    You travel in C-2. Reference is CATO 35-01 Annex F.

a. Weekly training at LHQ.
    b. Divisions, parades and inspections.
    c. Appropriate cadet social occasions.
    d. When travelling to and from SCTEs.
    e. Other occasions as ordered

That's the standard. Of course, if your travel orders come in and say differently, then go with the instructions that your travel orders have. If anyone gives you hell for it, refer them to your instructions.
    The past few years dress for travel and reporting in has been C-2, no webbing or chains. Mr. Wang is correct in stating your travel orders and joining instructions will clarify this and you should receive them sometime in June.
    qdjm
    Commanding Officer
    RCSCC NELSON
    HMCS ACADIA D&C Crse O/2IC Common Trg
    CCGS HENRY LARSEN Arctic Deployment - 2010

O'Brien is on a distinguished road O'Brien's Avatar
    I got basic sail first intake
    Leading Seaman O'Brien

23 Kent R.C.S.C.C