+ Reply to Thread
    jamiesonaelick is on a distinguished road

Eek IMPORTANT: Locations of Possible Flight Centers for Central Region Power Pilot Schol

Hello All!
    I need some help here. I received and invitation to something very important and a once in a lifetime importunity. BUT the date is from the 27th to the 29th of JUNE. I plan on attending POWER or STAFF which starts on Jul 1st. The traveling day is June 30th for this training. HOWEVER the event is in Calgary. I need to know the possible places my parents would have to drive me if I missed the travelling day. They know how important both of these things are for me.
    So, what are the flight centres that PPS would be located at?
    [/SIZE]
    Thanks so Much!
    FSGT Jamieson Aelick
    734 Squadron Alliston Legion

Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Last year the RGS(C) flying schools that were contracted to do the training for the cadets on the PPS were Brampton, London, Oshawa, Waterloo and Windsor.

Speaking from the way which we do things at RGS(A) (which does vary sometimes, so you will need someone on your side to double check) the contracted schools for the PPS tend to stay the same over the course of a number of years. But that should give you a general idea.
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesonaelick View Post
    [SIZE="4"]I received and invitation to something very important and a once in a lifetime importunity. BUT the date is from the 27th to the 29th of JUNE... HOWEVER the event is in Calgary. I need to know the possible places my parents would have to drive me if I missed the travelling day. They know how important both of these things are for me.
    This wouldn't be the Conservative Party's National Convention by chance, would it?

Brampton Flight Centre is usually one of them, as is Waterloo/Wellington Flight Centre, but it's all subject to change from year to year...
    gliderwingspowerwings
    belgiumusa canadaab ukrainepoland

North Bay or Cornwall would probably be the furthest away but it has been a couple of years since POWER has been held in either location.
    Eva Dillon (retired 188 Cobra sqn)
    CRGS 1993 Power 1994

Neoupa2002 is on a distinguished road Neoupa2002's Avatar
    I heard rumours flying around the London got replaced this year by another centre...

Last year was Windsor, Waterloo, Brampton, Oshawa and London.
    Leung, J gliderwingspowerwings
    aircsm1

Oh yeah so the other day I found out this summers flight centres...

Oshawa, Brampton, Waterloo, London, Windsor and wait for it... Sudbury
    CI Balasch
    "Good leadership is like flying by the seat of your pants, you only realise how much you enjoyed it once you've flown out of the clouds..." -Ex WOI 862 Lambeth Lightning

Neoupa2002 is on a distinguished road Neoupa2002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glider Flyboy View Post

Bush flying!
    Leung, J gliderwingspowerwings
    aircsm1

In the bad old days (before you guys were born). Power was only held in North Bay, then that school lost the contract and it became a wandering minstrel show ever since, Cornwall, Pembroke, are just a few of the other places where training has been. So having it in Sudbury isn't that bad.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

It wouldn't hurt to have your parents talk to your CO to see if you could be placed at a centre close to home (assuming you are selected). Before cadets are slotted into positions it's easier to make accomodations rather than after the list has been released.
    Captain Nicole Whiteway cd
    Former CO 292 RCACS

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By CaptWhiteway :

It wouldn't hurt to have your parents talk to your CO to see if you could be placed at a centre close to home (assuming you are selected). Before cadets are slotted into positions it's easier to make accomodations rather than after the list has been released.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you have some connections with the PPS staff officers this usually isn't possible. In my experience other then the actual acceptance letter the CO is usually the last to find out. I found out "through the grapevine" where I was going etc. about a month before my CO...
    CI Balasch
    "Good leadership is like flying by the seat of your pants, you only realise how much you enjoyed it once you've flown out of the clouds..." -Ex WOI 862 Lambeth Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by CaptWhiteway View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to have your parents talk to your CO
    In some units cadets themselves can make such requests though the chain of command, of course.

In my experience other then the actual acceptance letter the CO is usually the last to find out.
    Capt Whiteway's experience is somewhat longer....

13. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By N. McKay :

Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you have some connections with the PPS staff officers this usually isn't possible. In my experience other then the actual acceptance letter the CO is usually the last to find out. I found out "through the grapevine" where I was going etc. about a month before my CO...
    The Commanding Officer of the squadron has a chain of command they can contact to make this request. There is no special connection required, all you need is to be willing to find the appropriate contact.
    Former CO 292 RCACS

15. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By CaptWhiteway :

Quote Originally Posted by CaptWhiteway View Post
    The Commanding Officer of the squadron has a chain of command they can contact to make this request. There is no special connection required, all you need is to be willing to find the appropriate contact.
    That's what I meant Ma'am. I didn't mean you had to have a special connection, but it's not exactly as easy as asking your CO to approach the Chain of Command and bingo your able to work plans out with the OC PPS... Just be ready for a bit of correspondence on you and your CO's part...
    CI Balasch

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    In some units cadets themselves can make such requests though the chain of command, of course.

Capt Whiteway's experience is somewhat longer....
    They are both right because their answers are addressing two different things. If there is an issue involving a cadet's travel or availability in general, the CO is the the first point of contact in making arrangements to accommodate the cadet. And headquarters often manages to pull out elegant solutions to pretzel-like conundrums.

On the communication front as to where PPS cadets are going, whether it be as CO or summer course contact officer, I have never been the first to know anything after the league notified us the cadet had been selected. All subsequent communications seemed to go to the cadet WELL (sometimes weeks) before us - and often I found out from the cadet.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post

On the communication front as to where PPS cadets are going, whether it be as CO or summer course contact officer, I have never been the first to know anything after the league notified us the cadet had been selected. All subsequent communications seemed to go to the cadet WELL (sometimes weeks) before us - and often I found out from the cadet.
    That's rather unfourtunate.... as a past CO here in Atlantic as soon as the locations were chosen I was notified where my cadet would be going and I was the person to notify the cadet.

But the main point is to try to get the request to the people who make those choices BEFORE the lists are made. There has to be someone in CRGS that can be contacted who knows who makes that decision.
    Former CO 292 RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by Neoupa2002 View Post
    Bush flying!
    Heh. Oh ye' who has just sprouted wings ... if you think Sudbury is bush flying, you have a lot of Canada yet to experience. A couple hours North of Toronto is hardly "bush flying" and still very much south in all of Canada

When you run out of paved serviced airports and you have to borrow a dozer to push a logging road for a makeshift airstrip, I think you can say it is "bush flying!"

powerwings
    Capt A. Oke
    -Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician-
    Ex WOI lsmaircsm1

20. The Following User Likes This Post By JetA Burner :

That's rather unfourtunate.... as a past CO here in Atlantic as soon as the locations were chosen I was notified where my cadet would be going and I was the person to notify the cadet.
    Different experiences for different regions Ma'am...

When you run out of paved serviced airports and you have to borrow a dozer to push a logging road for a makeshift airstrip, I think you can say it is "bush flying!"
    You win Oke
    CI Balasch