+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoured Recce NB View Post
    Another common error that I have remedied at my corps but is still perpetuated on D&C at CSTC Argonaut (and possibly others) is lowering of swords while saluting on the march.
    Before I get ahead of myself and stick my proverbial foot in my mouth, is there any Regimental traditions that take precendence over the 201 in this particular situation?
    Naval sword drill includes lowering the sword while saluting on the march. That's not going to change to fit in with the Army or 201 way of doing things. I believe it is also the custom of some regiments to do the same.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

    qgjmcd2

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoured Recce NB View Post
    Another common error that I have remedied at my corps but is still perpetuated on D&C at CSTC Argonaut (and possibly others) is lowering of swords while saluting on the march.
    Before I get ahead of myself and stick my proverbial foot in my mouth, is there any Regimental traditions that take precendence over the 201 in this particular situation?
    The 201 does provide for some "regimental idiosyncracies" such as faster or slower quick march pacing, etc. The lowering of the sword on the salute on the march is the traditional form of salute but was changed in the 90's if I recall.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

  3. #23
    quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005
    Location
    Shawnigan Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,290
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    The 201 does provide for some "regimental idiosyncracies" such as faster or slower quick march pacing, etc. The lowering of the sword on the salute on the march is the traditional form of salute but was changed in the 90's if I recall.
    Any idea why?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    The 201 does provide for some "regimental idiosyncracies" such as faster or slower quick march pacing, etc. The lowering of the sword on the salute on the march is the traditional form of salute but was changed in the 90's if I recall.
    Actually, it's been in the 201 for quite some time. As a young sprog at RRMC 81-85, we only did the eyes right on the quick march with the sword remaining at the carry. When I went back there on staff 91-93 a different drill staff had them lowering the sword.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

    qgjmcd2

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdr Gene Fedderly View Post
    Actually, it's been in the 201 for quite some time. As a young sprog at RRMC 81-85, we only did the eyes right on the quick march with the sword remaining at the carry. When I went back there on staff 91-93 a different drill staff had them lowering the sword.
    I saw both ways done in successive change-of-command parades by the same regiment, three years apart (2008 and 2011). There's a third variation that involves moving the sword through a horizontal circle (from the recover) before lowering it. I've only ever seen that in a video of a Royal Navy parade, but it's described in at least one Canadian publication I have.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    I saw both ways done in successive change-of-command parades by the same regiment, three years apart (2008 and 2011). There's a third variation that involves moving the sword through a horizontal circle (from the recover) before lowering it. I've only ever seen that in a video of a Royal Navy parade, but it's described in at least one Canadian publication I have.
    Is that some sort of take on the salute in slow time?
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

    qgjmcd2

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    The 201 does provide for some "regimental idiosyncracies" such as faster or slower quick march pacing, etc. The lowering of the sword on the salute on the march is the traditional form of salute but was changed in the 90's if I recall.
    I was taught to keep it at the carry at Vernon. Not knowing any better and consulting the drill manual. I did it at QUADRA......it didn't go over well

    Captain MK Wilson, RSW
    gsm

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdr Gene Fedderly View Post
    Is that some sort of take on the salute in slow time?
    Similar if not the same.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrapiper View Post
    Any idea why?

    Why as in, why does the 201 provide for regimental idiosyncracies, or why did they change the salute?

    For the former it is due to the fact that certain groups of regiments i.e. the Highlanders, and Rifle Regiments have always had their own quick time pace and the 201 accepts that tradition.

    As for the latter there is an urban legend that at Gagetown an Officer Cadet at the RESO graduation parade did a salute with his sword and cut the panty hose of some of the female spectators, as to the real reason I have no idea.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadpat Sailor View Post
    I was taught to keep it at the carry at Vernon. Not knowing any better and consulting the drill manual. I did it at QUADRA......it didn't go over well

    I thought the way one salutes with the sword depends on the sword one is carrying, not the parade one is carrying a sword in. I could be mistaken, but I'd think a CA Officer carrying a CA Officer's sword would follow those practices as opposed to RCN ones.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I thought the way one salutes with the sword depends on the sword one is carrying, not the parade one is carrying a sword in. I could be mistaken, but I'd think a CA Officer carrying a CA Officer's sword would follow those practices as opposed to RCN ones.

    JB
    I would tend to agree. I wouldn't want to march about clutching my scabbard instead of swinging my left arm just because I was on an army parade. This is a good reason why we shouldn't have mixed uniform guards. They look like a dog's breakfast, too.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

    qgjmcd2

  12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By LCdr Gene Fedderly :


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts