+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Para course

  1. #1

    Para course

    Yup... Yet another thread about the para course for air cadets.

    PErsonally, I think air cadets should be able to do the para course.
    It's mostly involved in the air, and has almost nothing with land.
    If an air cadet can atleast apply for it, then that would be much better. 'I think all elements should be able to apply for every camp... thoughts?

  2. #2
    Sure it takes place in the air, but the purpose of military parachuting is to insert troops, who then continue on the ground.

    It's like saying army cadets should be able to take power because there is quite a bit of ground manoeuvring in a plane.
    Officer Cadet A. Schambers
    Former WO1 80 K-W Spitfire Squadron

  3. The Following User Likes This Post By Fox 2 :


  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. LASR View Post
    Yup... Yet another thread about the para course for air cadets.

    PErsonally, I think air cadets should be able to do the para course.
    It's mostly involved in the air, and has almost nothing with land.
    If an air cadet can atleast apply for it, then that would be much better. 'I think all elements should be able to apply for every camp... thoughts?
    I can agree about para course! Also I think there are some camps that Air, Army, and sea cadets can apply for. But if you ask me it would not make that sense having Sea or Army cadets apply for like a Aviation course ( like BAC etc. ) or something like that.
    Sergeant Hayes
    742 National Capital Squadron
    Flag Party Second in Command
    Instead of saying "I can't" try saying "How can I?"

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox 2 View Post
    Sure it takes place in the air, but the purpose of military parachuting is to insert troops, who then continue on the ground.

    It's like saying army cadets should be able to take power because there is quite a bit of ground manoeuvring in a plane.
    True! But it would still be fun to try anyway!
    Sergeant Hayes
    742 National Capital Squadron
    Flag Party Second in Command
    Instead of saying "I can't" try saying "How can I?"

  6. #5
    Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Posts
    595
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Hayes View Post
    True! But it would still be fun to try anyway!
    A few months ago, this came up and there was some rather pertinent discussion.
    http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/...ets&highlight=

    Just saying, if you want to do Para and you have a few years left in cadets, go to Army. If you don't have that much time left in cadets, join the reg force and hope you get the opportunity sometime in your career.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

  7. #6
    Wlodar.Alex is on a distinguished road Wlodar.Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    2011
    Location
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Posts
    331
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    3
    You think it has almost nothing to do with the ground, but then you hit it. It has quite a long to do with the ground, actually. As soon as you get out of that door, your gentle float down doesn't really require all that much strain or effort. All you really need to do is float and keep alert to make sure you're ready for... you got it, landing. Keep in mind it's not the descent that will break your legs or kill you, it's the ground.

    This is coming from an inexperienced point of view, but I trust that it's fairly accurate.
    C/MWO Alexander Wlodarczyk
    Cadet Regimental Sergeant Major
    2403 Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Hayes View Post
    I can agree about para course! Also I think there are some camps that Air, Army, and sea cadets can apply for. But if you ask me it would not make that sense having Sea or Army cadets apply for like a Aviation course ( like BAC etc. ) or something like that.
    Well there's many courses that are more or less the same for the three elements, but the training is done at different CSTCs for each element such as: GTC (although next year, Sea and Air will both be at Bagotville), BDCC, and DCIC. There are also several courses that take place with a combination of cadets from different elements such as: FSIC and the music courses (with the exception of Service Band)

    Note: What I explained about is what takes place in Eastern Region (Quebec and Ottawa Valley), as that is what I know. It is likely that other regions do it differently.

    On Topic: Although it would have been nice to do the Para course, it simply does not make sense to have cadets participating in summer camps from other elements when their training at the home unit is focused on information pertaining mostly to their element. It would be great if the Air Cadet program included something like the Fullbore Marksman Course or some of the more advanced expeditions offered to Army Cadets, but we have plenty of amazing opportunities within our current program. In the past, it used to be fairly common for squadrons to just go parachuting, but that was quite a while ago.

  9. #8
    dhillon will become famous soon enough dhillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    2002
    Location
    St Thomas, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,907
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    Well there's many courses that are more or less the same for the three elements, but the training is done at different CSTCs for each element such as: GTC (although next year, Sea and Air will both be at Bagotville), BDCC, and DCIC. There are also several courses that take place with a combination of cadets from different elements such as: FSIC and the music courses (with the exception of Service Band)

    Note: What I explained about is what takes place in Eastern Region (Quebec and Ottawa Valley), as that is what I know. It is likely that other regions do it differently.

    On Topic: Although it would have been nice to do the Para course, it simply does not make sense to have cadets participating in summer camps from other elements when their training at the home unit is focused on information pertaining mostly to their element. It would be great if the Air Cadet program included something like the Fullbore Marksman Course or some of the more advanced expeditions offered to Army Cadets, but we have plenty of amazing opportunities within our current program. In the past, it used to be fairly common for squadrons to just go parachuting, but that was quite a while ago.
    Don't know how far back you are referring to wrt. Air Cadet Squadrons going parachuting but I can attest that it definitely hasn't happened since at least 2001 when I joined. Anyone from before that able to offer insight?

    As far as this and all similar threads go, the courses that are Tri-service now are good the way they are. Music, Sports, etc. truly are purple subjects. Parachuting, flying, sailing, etc are NOT. You can try and make the arguments that Para is air force related but it's not. The pilot flying the plane is the closest relation there is to any air force representation when it comes to Para.

    The training offered on the Army Cadet courses leading up to Para including Leadership & Challenge and the other Senior Level Expeditions (ie. Wales, Scotland, Maple Leaf Exchange) are designed to physically prepare Cadets to continue their expedition training. This isn't a Citizenship trip like the IACE is but rather intense, expedition training conducted with other countrie's militaries and cadet organizations. As a result, nothing similar on the Air side prepares Cadets in the same way to pursue something like Para. There is also far too much funding that goes into trying to produce pilots within the Air Cadet program that I doubt there is any feasibility in having Air Cadets pursue military parachutist training.

    If you want to take the course, change elements. I've seen firsthand a Cadet that attended SIC, SLC, earned the ANAVETS and AFAC medals, and went on to do the Para course upon switching to the Army element. It is certainly possible. I agree with the above poster that it would be 'nice' to have the senior courses be Tri-service but it simply is not feasible. It's competitive enough to load Army Cadets from across Canada on to the one and only serial of the Army Basic Para course. What would make you think there is any more funding available to train Cadets of a different element in training that in no way represents what they've been trained to do until that point in their careers?


    Capt B. Dhillon
    DCO - 105 Streetsville RCACC

    lsmrclcmearmycsm3

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon View Post
    Don't know how far back you are referring to wrt. Air Cadet Squadrons going parachuting but I can attest that it definitely hasn't happened since at least 2001 when I joined. Anyone from before that able to offer insight?
    I know it was happening in the mid 80's (My parents were cadets at the time), but I have no idea when it stopped occurring.

    It would be unrealistic to expect the senior courses to be tri-element. Something a bit more reasonable would be to offer Air Cadets a Fullbore Marksmanship Course, but not having it is not the end of the world.

    I do know that a few years ago, they were considering making GTC tri-element. At the reception after the Duke of Edimbourgh Gold Award ceremony, LCol Sulik (CO of RCSU Eastern) was talking to a bunch of cadets from my squadron and he mentioned the possibility.

  11. #10
    But what if an air cadet is more qualified? Im 14 now. And I want to be a sar-tech when I'm older. All I have is BS and SIC. Even though it's an air force job, there almost no training for it.

  12. #11
    Also, when I was in gt in Trenton, thepaa course guys were there. I talked to a couple of them, and they all said air cadets can, but they just need a recommendation from an army cadet corps.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. LASR View Post
    But what if an air cadet is more qualified? Im 14 now. And I want to be a sar-tech when I'm older. All I have is BS and SIC. Even though it's an air force job, there almost no training for it.
    If you want to do Para, join the Army Cadets.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    If you want to do Para, join the Army Cadets.
    Thing is, I want to do basic survival and survival instructor.

  15. #14
    dhillon will become famous soon enough dhillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    2002
    Location
    St Thomas, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,907
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. LASR View Post
    Thing is, I want to do basic survival and survival instructor.
    So do them and switch to Army.


    Capt B. Dhillon
    DCO - 105 Streetsville RCACC

    lsmrclcmearmycsm3

  16. The Following User Likes This Post By dhillon :


  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon View Post
    So do them and switch to Army.
    Idk if I will qualify to apply for it.

  18. #16
    dhillon will become famous soon enough dhillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    2002
    Location
    St Thomas, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,907
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. LASR View Post
    Idk if I will qualify to apply for it.
    Get your hands on CATO 42-05, particularly Annex F (Canadian Forces Basic Parachutist Course). If you can't get it yourself on the Cadets.ca file repository, ask one of your officers for it.

  19. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon View Post
    Get your hands on CATO 42-05, particularly Annex F (Canadian Forces Basic Parachutist Course). If you can't get it yourself on the Cadets.ca file repository, ask one of your officers for it.
    And 40-01 Annex C Appendix 2

  20. #18
    Thank so much guys

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts