+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Camp Status: Standby

I applied for three summer courses
    -LCIC (Leadership Ceremonial Instructor Course)
    -SIC (Survival Instructor Course)
    -ARMIC (Air Rifle Marksmanship Instructor Course)

At this point I am still on standby for these three courses and three more days till they start. Do I still have a chance? I'm losing my faith towards going :$.
    OCdt Kyoungil Park
    Training Officer
    530 Havoc Squadron (Waterloo, Ontario)
    powerwings

BlackPage is on a distinguished road BlackPage's Avatar
    Hey, don't be so blue!!

Last year, the courses had already started (2 days in) when I got the call. It was the last day of school too. Got the call at 10 pm, had to be in Toronto, packed and ready, for 930 am. That was interesting, getting it all together. My advice? If you know you're on Standby, BE PREPARED! Be as packed as you can be, better to be prepared!
    PO1 Ellen Molloy (Ret.)
    HMCS Ontario Basic Seamansip-Bonaventure-2011
    HMCS Ontario DCI-Collingwood-2012
    CSTC Connaught ARMI-Delta Coy 2Pltn-2013
    HMCS Ontario Staff Cadet-Accom-2014

3. The Following User Likes This Post By BlackPage :

Quote Originally Posted by kingle View Post
    At this point I am still on standby for these three courses and three more days till they start. Do I still have a chance?
    Yes; when I was a CO I had to make the "get packed and be ready for the bus tomorrow morning!" call more than once. It really does happen sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    Yes; when I was a CO I had to make the "get packed and be ready for the bus tomorrow morning!" call more than once. It really does happen sometimes.
    Would it happen in those "Instructor" Courses?
    OCdt Kyoungil Park
    Training Officer
    powerwings

Last year we had cadets coming in to my D&C course after 4 or 5 days. So, yeah, it could happen.

A friend of mine just got a phone call today asking him if he wants to go to FSI. Kepp your chin up! always a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Comeau View Post
    A friend of mine just got a phone call today asking him if he wants to go to FSI. Kepp your chin up! always a chance
    you guys are getting my hopes up high x)
    OCdt Kyoungil Park
    Training Officer
    powerwings

I sent a couple of cadets on a TG3 course that way, and I suppose that was the closest thing at the time.

Gma1123 is on a distinguished road Gma1123's Avatar
    I applied for three summer courses
    -LCIC (Leadership Ceremonial Instructor Course)
    -SIC (Survival Instructor Course)
    -ARMIC (Air Rifle Marksmanship Instructor Course)

At this point I am still on standby for these three courses and three more days till they start. Do I still have a chance? I'm losing my faith towards going :$.
    Its your fault for trying to take ARMIC in Quebec and then bombing your interview LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gma1123 View Post
    Its your fault for trying to take ARMIC in Quebec and then bombing your interview LOL
    BUZZKILL, Ma your such a trooll
    OCdt Kyoungil Park
    Training Officer
    powerwings

I would say there's definitely still a chance you'll get called, I was told I wasn't going to camp one summer, the course was full at both CSTC's that offered it. So I made plans to go stay with my aunt, got all the way out to Whitby for 2 days to have my mom call and say "get your stuff together, your dad's coming to get you. You're gonna be on a plane in 2 days to go to camp, k?"

Lots of people get called late, even after everyone is already there. And especially on longer courses it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to call you a couple of days into the course because chances are quite good in the amount of time you're there you could make up the day or two you've missed.
    Victoria Adamson
    CPO1 (ret'd)lsmrclcmescsm

Just for tonight, darling, let's get lost

13. The Following User Likes This Post By Vicki :

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    I would say there's definitely still a chance you'll get called, I was told I wasn't going to camp one summer, the course was full at both CSTC's that offered it. So I made plans to go stay with my aunt, got all the way out to Whitby for 2 days to have my mom call and say "get your stuff together, your dad's coming to get you. You're gonna be on a plane in 2 days to go to camp, k?"

Lots of people get called late, even after everyone is already there. And especially on longer courses it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to call you a couple of days into the course because chances are quite good in the amount of time you're there you could make up the day or two you've missed.
    Even with 1 More day till camp?

Over the next few days, the different CSTCs will see how many last minute cancellations and no-shows they get, and then decide if they will start pulling from the spares lists. For the 6 week courses, as Vicki said, it is much easier to make up a missed couple days if you get there late, so there is still a chance you could get a call.
    Lieutenant J. Gillis
    529 ARMDALE KIWANIS RCACS

We've had three no-shows just on Basic Expedition already today at Argonaut and it's not even 11 am yet. Not to mention that the bulk of the course cadets don't arrive until tomorrow.
    Last year, they gave cadets that were already at camp and weren't loaded on their first choice to move to any open slots and then used the spares list to fill the empty slots. Keep your chin up, I've got three of my Sgt's in the same boat waiting anxiously by the phone.

Camp starts today, Didn't get that evening call saying "packup" and be ready by "this time". Hopefully I get a call this week

As the cstcs count their no shows.....more positions MAY be available.
    Captain MK Wilson, RSW
    gsm

Thanks guys for cheering me up! I am leaving today to CSTC Connaught for Air Rifle Marksmanship Instructor Course (ARMIC) For 6 weeks! Really appreciated your advice and information!

20. The Following User Likes This Post By kingle :

Thanks guys for cheering me up! I am leaving today to CSTC Connaught for Air Rifle Marksmanship Instructor Course (ARMIC) For 6 weeks! Really appreciated your advice and information!
    Congrats! I'm really glad you got called, have a great time!
    Victoria Adamson
    CPO1 (ret'd)lsmrclcmescsm

Just for tonight, darling, let's get lost

That's awesome. I was just going to post and cheer you up by letting you know that my 3 Sergeants that were on stand-by all got calls today. Glad you got on course. Congratulations.

dhillon will become famous soon enough dhillon's Avatar
    6 cadets on standby for Basic Survival at Blackdown got a call today.

Capt B. S. (Bob) Dhillon
    Trg O - 2884 RCACC
    Former DCO of 105 RCACC