+ Reply to Thread

Air Cadet GT at TACSTC

So this summer I'm going to Air Cadet GT at Trenton for the first time, actually it's the first time going to cadet camp since I didn't get to go my first year (this is my second year). So is there anything I need to know? I'm staying there 12 days (july 8-20). So what's Tacstc like?

-Do we do our own laundry? It says in the kit list to bring detergent but I've heard otherwise.
    -How big are the barracks? Are they bunk beds or what, etc.?
    -Can you bring contacts? Idk if i'm allowed to bring them :P
    -Whats the food like? I've heard horror stories...
    -Do you go swimming, do range, gliding, etc.?
    -Are phones allowed?
    -What do you do during the day? Drill? Classes? I heard we have free time around 6pm to 9 but what do we do earlier?

Thanks
    FCpl I. Benderavage
    58 A/C A. Dwight Ross G.C., C.B.E., C.D. RCAirC Squadron

I was on GT two years ago so some things may have changed, but I have some answers for you.

-When I was there, they did laundry for us. They took my detergent on the first day and I got it back after grad.
    -The barracks are reasonably large, don't quite remember how many Cadets per, but I think its over 50. You'll be sleeping on a bunk bed.
    -Don't know the official rules on contacts, but I knew people who wore them. I would advise you follow what they recommend though, its probably for a good reason.
    -You will go swimming, range, canoeing, etc. When I went, there were no glider flights, however Cadets got to go on a famil flight on a CC-150.
    -They will take your phone, and you can sign it out during free time to call home and such. They also have computers available for use that I think you can use Facebook and stuff on.
    -During the day, you do all kinds of stuff. Activities, classes, and yes, drill

I may see you there this summer, I'm there for 6 weeks. If you hear Schambers, that's me
    Officer Cadet A. Schambers
    Former WO1 80 K-W Spitfire Squadron

Quote Originally Posted by Benderavage View Post
    So this summer I'm going to Air Cadet GT at Trenton for the first time, actually it's the first time going to cadet camp since I didn't get to go my first year (this is my second year). So is there anything I need to know? I'm staying there 12 days (july 8-20). So what's Tacstc like?

-Do we do our own laundry? It says in the kit list to bring detergent but I've heard otherwise.
    -How big are the barracks? Are they bunk beds or what, etc.?
    -Can you bring contacts? Idk if i'm allowed to bring them :P
    -Whats the food like? I've heard horror stories...
    -Do you go swimming, do range, gliding, etc.?
    -Are phones allowed?
    -What do you do during the day? Drill? Classes? I heard we have free time around 6pm to 9 but what do we do earlier?

Thanks
    Technically you dont do your own laundry. You just throw everything in a bag they give you and you throw it in a pile
    Not too sure about the contacts :s
    To be honest, i can't remember the food. Its wasn't the worst... or the greatest. It's... edible.
    We did do range, but no gliding. We went on a C-17 Globemaster for a two hour flight over Lake Ontario. Afterwards we ate like 800 calorie gummy bears. ( no joke)
    The above comment is correct about phones.
    General Training is a generalization of specialties a cadet can follow in his or her career. You learn more about drill, range, have time to play with instruments, sports, you do go swimming (a couple times i think). you march EVERYWHERE... what a drag.
    And the free time is usually after dinner to 9... 9:30? Can't remember... was two years ago back when i was an
    GT was one of the best summers i've ever had. Also try to bring earplugs because you will have 100+ cadets in one section of your barrack. Helps you sleep from all the sounds immature cadets make.

BlackPage is on a distinguished road BlackPage's Avatar
    Well, being a sea cadet and all, I've never done GT at Trenton (honestly, I never did GT at all!), but I've stayed here, sooo....

The food. Decent. Edible. Not home cooking, but I survived. I ate MRE's for dinner, mess hall for breakfast and supper. Stock up on Soldier Fuel. They are AMAZING. Don't eat the eggs, be warry of any meat. Salad's a good choice, just watch out for bugs.

Your Barracks. They are huge. You will be staying on bunk racks. Get. A. Bottom. One. I swear to le bon Dieu, you will thank me later. I rolled off 5 times in 2 nights (and I don't roll much), and they're a pain in the patootie to make. Bring a lock, and bring ear plugs. Those were the only reason anyone survived while I was there. Be prepared for cold nights-bring an extra small blanket, or a hoodie. Be prepared for cold showers, and long waits. You'l be staying in 'h-blocks', basically two long, narrow buildings, open, holding about 75-ish cadets each, connected by a set of heads (bathrooms). One thing I picked up-when it's shower time, have a bag ready with everything you need in it, and book it there. Hopefully, the wait won't be too bad.

Laundry. Don't know it too well. If you use Dhoby (laundry) bags like us, get a tag to put on it. Or make a thick cobra chain and put it on, or something to identify it. It sucks getting it lost of mixed up, and for god's sake, NEVER put ALL your clothes in at once!!!

Contacts. If it says you can on the kit list, bring 'em. Please be smart and also bring glasses, though, even if they're BCD's (Birth Control Devices). Also bring sunglasses, and a secrure saftey strap.

And there shall be my Squidish input!
    PO1 Ellen Molloy (Ret.)
    HMCS Ontario Basic Seamansip-Bonaventure-2011
    HMCS Ontario DCI-Collingwood-2012
    CSTC Connaught ARMI-Delta Coy 2Pltn-2013
    HMCS Ontario Staff Cadet-Accom-2014

5. The Following User Likes This Post By BlackPage :

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPage View Post
    The food. Decent. Edible. Not home cooking, but I survived. I ate MRE's for dinner, mess hall for breakfast and supper. Stock up on Soldier Fuel. They are AMAZING. Don't eat the eggs, be warry of any meat. Salad's a good choice, just watch out for bugs.
    Everyone jokes about green eggs and ham or some other food weirdness but the only really true thing you've said here is that it's not home cooking. I would caution you from telling people not to eat something or "warning" them about bad food - especially to people who will be going on GT. Over the years I worked as staff on the old Basic course, I had cadets who didn't eat properly because they were "warned" about the food.

The eggs are fine, the meat is fine and the salad is fine. My only recommendation is that when you have a choice, choose the healthier option and don't load up on sugary drinks and super-sweet deserts for every single meal. Soft fruit, especially, will help keep things, ummm, moving - if you know what I mean.

Oh, and drink milk. "Conventional wisdom" says don't drink milk because it will curdle in your stomach in the heat. Sorry but it's an urban legend. I have 29 years in the cadet universe - man and boy - and I've yet to see anyone get sick simply from drinking milk on a hot day. It's one of those "a friend of a friend told me that they heard that..." stories that gets passed on year after year but isn't based on anything.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By J-P Johnson :

Thanks, that was really helpful. Hope to see some of you guys there this summer
    FCpl I. Benderavage
    58 A/C A. Dwight Ross G.C., C.B.E., C.D. RCAirC Squadron

9. The Following User Likes This Post By Benderavage :

I am also off to GT this summer, except at Albert Head. I was just parking my kit when I realized that I do not have a gray shot sleeve shirt, I have the blue one but no gray. My squadron recently had a night were you could get extra unifrom pieces for your summer training, however I was sure I had the gray shirt. Any suggestions? Also is there a supply at GT?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomoslowmo View Post
    I am also off to GT this summer, except at Albert Head. I was just parking my kit when I realized that I do not have a gray shot sleeve shirt, I have the blue one but no gray. My squadron recently had a night were you could get extra unifrom pieces for your summer training, however I was sure I had the gray shirt. Any suggestions? Also is there a supply at GT?
    The joining instructions are out of date. The dark blue shirt is replacing both the grey and light-blue t-shirts. If you have the dark blue, you're good.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.