+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ZAHRAM1 is on a distinguished road ZAHRAM1's Avatar
    Air Air Cadet OG107 FTU Suggestions?

I'm an LAC going on my 2nd FTX in a couple of weeks and my parents just got me a set of combats to wear.

I've got CF OG107 t-shirts, tunic, pants, sweater and belt. I've also got CF combat boots and an air force blue beret with cap brass.

I found a website where you can get a name tape for your FTU. Is this allowed?

Any suggestions for any other items for my kit?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZAHRAM1 View Post
    I'm an LAC going on my 2nd FTX in a couple of weeks and my parents just got me a set of combats to wear.

I've got CF OG107 t-shirts, tunic, pants, sweater and belt. I've also got CF combat boots and an air force blue beret with cap brass.

Any suggestions for any other items for my kit?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the name tags worn on the OG107s should probably be same pattern as the ones used when the CF wore them. Namely these:

CPGear appears to have stopped offering them but it looks like Army Navy Outfitters still does : link and I'll but other companies still do as well.

Soo... My second choice would be the CPGear name tape sans insignia:

As for other gear, if this website officers OG green rank slip-ons, save your money - they are not authorized. Only the cadet issued ones are.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

3. The Following User Likes This Post By J-P Johnson :

Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)

You'll have to search around a bit but you can probably find it there. Otherwise I know that a few Surplus stores do it so check your local surplus store if you're looking for one. Another place to look is at embroidery shops and "sports trophy" stores they probably have the equipment for doing such things.
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

Ask your CO to be sure. You wouldn't want to spend money and not get to wear it...
    DISCLAIMER: Any posts I make may not be necessarily representative of RCA Ops/RGS(Pac), the CCM, or CadetWorld. They in no way replace official information available.

Thanks for all of the suggestions; I really appreciate your experience. I will follow up with my CO as to which format is acceptable before buying one.

I found a listing in the buy and sell section of this site for some 1982 Pattern Canadian Forces Webbing at:

http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/...ad.php?t=24537

This looks very cool, but would it really be of any use at an FTX?
    Sgt Zahra M
    296 City of Cambridge RC(Air)CS

This looks very cool, but would it really be of any use at an FTX?
    It sure is cool, but really, for cadets...not much use...

Just invest in a good backpack. If you want a military one, try finding one of the CBRN 'nuke' bags, they're a little soft sack with straps that were pretty favorable back in the day before the small pack. CPGear has 'em for a pretty penny but if you check surplus stores they usually turn up.
    BDR SCHEER
    MT NCO, C Bty, 1 RCHA

Volunteering with 2520 RCACC 71 Bty
    "UBIQUE"

Quote Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
    It sure is cool, but really, for cadets...not much use...

Just invest in a good backpack. If you want a military one, try finding one of the CBRN 'nuke' bags, they're a little soft sack with straps that were pretty favorable back in the day before the small pack. CPGear has 'em for a pretty penny but if you check surplus stores they usually turn up.
    Yeah, most of the stuff I used to carry in my webbing I shove in my small pack now. I just wish I could track down some of the small pack's detachable pouches. I got my mine from a surplus store sans pouches but it was missing the pouches (which is why I got it nice and cheap).
    Barrie Ontario

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    Yeah, most of the stuff I used to carry in my webbing I shove in my small pack now. I just wish I could track down some of the small pack's detachable pouches. I got my mine from a surplus store sans pouches but it was missing the pouches (which is why I got it nice and cheap).
    I have a certain partiality to the webbing belt, just for carrying a couple canteens, and the potential to hang a tool off it. Plus, acting as a sort of weight belt/backup for the lame waist belt if you've got an '82 pack.

All the other oddments (snacks, notebooks, compass, map, whatever) are the reason NDHQ made pockets on combats. If you're stuck with a "brick" VHF radio, a belt-pack might be handy.

So... yeah... if you need to be hauling about canteen(s), a radio, and an axe/knife/machete, the belt and necessary attached bits are a good idea. So, basically, if you are hiking or doing some sort of wide-ranging day ex, where full pack doesn't make sense: a SAR op, or working as NCOIC of some distant station, for example. Otherwise, probably not worth it: you're likely right at your encampment anyway.

Is the CRBN bag the one with what looks like a cross-strap stashed in a side pocket, and metal snap-hooks on the ends of the pack-straps?
    Last edited by quadrapiper; 9th April 2010 at 11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrapiper View Post
    Is the CRBN bag the one with what looks like a cross-strap stashed in a side pocket, and metal snap-hooks on the ends of the pack-straps?
    That's the one, also has quick release pulls on the shoulders. I had one for years along with one from CPGear.

In reference to the webbing, in this is aimed at anyone thinking about getting something, try and get it in pieces. You can get various pouches for it, ranging from C7 magazine pouches (good for smaller items like GPS or radios) to C9 box pouches (can fit larger items like snacks, flashlights, etc..). There's also the butt pack that you can put a sweater and socks in, and a canteen pouch for...a canteen
    And don't forget about the belt and yoke of course
    BDR SCHEER
    MT NCO, C Bty, 1 RCHA

"UBIQUE"

Thanks again to everyone for their responses.

You've really given me a lot to think about!
    Sgt Zahra M
    296 City of Cambridge RC(Air)CS

That's the one, also has quick release pulls on the shoulders. I had one for years along with one from CPGear.

In reference to the webbing, in this is aimed at anyone thinking about getting something, try and get it in pieces. You can get various pouches for it, ranging from C7 magazine pouches (good for smaller items like GPS or radios) to C9 box pouches (can fit larger items like snacks, flashlights, etc..). There's also the butt pack that you can put a sweater and socks in, and a canteen pouch for...a canteen
    And don't forget about the belt and yoke of course
    You pretty much listed my typical load-out:

C7 pouches: GPS, bug juice/sunblock, glasses case, mini mag-light
    butt pack: raincoat, socks, small first-aid kit, batteries, rations/snacks
    canteen & carrier
    KFS & carrier
    belt & yoke.
    Barrie Ontario

Thanks again to everyone for their responses.

You've really given me a lot to think about!
    Oh oh oh! Don't forget yer bootbands!!!
    BDR SCHEER
    MT NCO, C Bty, 1 RCHA

"UBIQUE"

Oh oh oh! Don't forget yer bootbands!!!
    And if you do, elastic bands work. But not as well as hair elastics.
    ~I FLY PLANES.~

Haha, am I the only one that just uses the strings, they work just fine for me.
    On the subject of webbing, i've never really had to carry more than what would fit in the combat pockets: radio,FMP,few knives,flashlights,gloves and a toque

Quote Originally Posted by CpL.Harrison View Post
    Haha, am I the only one that just uses the strings, they work just fine for me.
    A few people on my BMQ did that at the start...it's just alot faster and easier using bands. Most just cut the drawstrings out when they first get them
    BDR SCHEER
    MT NCO, C Bty, 1 RCHA

"UBIQUE"

Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)
    I've been rocking a MEC daypack for the last 3 years and found it does the trick for me.

Webbing is cool and all (and as useful as a daypack especially for quick access). I absolutely HATE the "ALICE system", if you're seriously considering it get something on a MOLLE system, you'll thank me later when your compatriots are struggling with mounting stuff on their webbing and you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Anyways, more on the daypack:

I used to use a backpack from Taigaworks (It was my dads, and older than I am) anyways that one fell apart eventually (but it had a great life and lots of use) and I moved to the MEC daypack. Models change but the use doesn't. You can also use them for carrying your books to school as well as snowboarding or w/e. It's still holding strong (there's some wear from hard use) but I'm glad I purchased it.

Hell you don't even have to go to MEC, Coast Mountain Sports or a local sporting goods store will have what you need.

"Spend that meso on useful equipment and not peso." (Anyone get that reference or am I the only one geeky enough to admit it). Sure it might be cool to have but there's not too much use for it outside a specific niche whereas the daypack can be used as a book bag, an urban exploration bag, snowboard equipment bag, daypack, etc.
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

EquRMCgirl is on a distinguished road
    Hello, I am an LAC, and will be returning for my second year at cadets. however, I'm wondering, are the OG 107 uniforms, issued by your squadron when a certain Rank is achieved, or do we have to attain them ourselves? Also, is there a certain rank we must have it by?

Quote Originally Posted by EquRMCgirl View Post
    Hello, I am an LAC, and will be returning for my second year at cadets. however, I'm wondering, are the OG 107 uniforms, issued by your squadron when a certain Rank is achieved
    That may be done in some squadrons, but I'd say probably not in very many.

, or do we have to attain them ourselves?
    No, you don't have to obtain them at all.

Also, is there a certain rank we must have it by?
    No.

Question Air cadet "Combats"

Hey guys
    just wondering I know where to buy the combats but one of my friends old me that I can get one at Basic Survival? Is that right? i dont wanna waste my mone buying one and knowing i can get it for free

Quote Originally Posted by kingle View Post
    Hey guys
    just wondering I know where to buy the combats but one of my friends old me that I can get one at Basic Survival? Is that right? i dont wanna waste my mone buying one and knowing i can get it for free
    You are issued them at Blackdown for wear on the course but you turn them back in at the end of the 3 weeks.
    Barrie Ontario