+ Reply to Thread
    Flint is on a distinguished road Flint's Avatar
    Sea Cadets and Combats?

Hi I am a Sea Cadet in Kingston Ontario. We have a small corps of about 25 cadets here hence we do alot of tri or bi-service stuff with the army cadets (over 100 of 'em ) And the Air Cadets (about 70) I often see them in OD 107 Combats. As a sea cadet we have "work dress" which in my opinion is just as much of a failure as the old garrison dress that the army used to use. Anyway I am getting conflicting reports from officers/cadets ect. Saying weather OD 107s are authorised for sea cadets to wear on appropreite occasions (eg camping) And if so can someone please shed some light by provideing a document of some sort proveing it. And one last thing if they are authorised do we wear a black beret with them? Thanks in advance

It happens a lot, and while no one ever seems to bat an eye when it happens, I have yet to see a single document to support the practice of Sea Cadets wearing OG-107 outside of an Army CSTC.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

I need to start by clearing up one bit of ambiguity here - the question isn't whether or not you can wear OG107s in the field but whether or not you can wear them with cadet accoutrements such as rank slip-ons, berets, "tilleys", etc. As far as I am aware, with your CO's okay, you can wear OG107s without ranks or any other cadet accoutrements.

For OG107s with ranks, etc, you need to look at your dress regulations. The CO's of CSTCs have a bit of leeway but, at the home corps level, there isn't really much leeway at all.

In general, your dress regs have this on the very first page:

4. Sea Cadet Dress Regulations shall be
    interpreted as follows: If an item is not
    included in these regulations, it is not
    authorized.
    I do not see that OG107s are included in your dress regs. And with the introduction of the STU, and the removal of Outdoor Adventure Training (for bush weekends or FTXs or whatever you call them) for the mandatory curriculum; I, personally, can't see them being added as a uniform option at the local level.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

4. The Following User Likes This Post By J-P Johnson :

Neo

Sea

I will be talking to my CO tomorrow night about this. But assumeing he gives us the ok for this as for headress if I bought a black beret and didnt put any insignia on it and also wear 107s would that be allowed for occassions where civvies are allowed eg; Range because technicly if I have no insignia and its all privet purchase I can get away with saying there civvies right??

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    technically if I have no insignia and its all privet purchase I can get away with saying there civvies right??
    Yes..

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I will be talking to my CO tomorrow night about this. But assumeing he gives us the ok for this as for headress if I bought a black beret and didnt put any insignia on it and also wear 107s would that be allowed for occassions where civvies are allowed eg; Range because technicly if I have no insignia and its all privet purchase I can get away with saying there civvies right??
    Probably, but I think you'd be pushing it to wear any sort of uniform headdress (even without a cap badge on it).

MS FLINT #33 RCSCC St. Lawrence
    Lvl 3 Marksman/ Range team Capt.
    Pipes and Drums HOOAAAHHH
    The Maple Leaf Forever

Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It happens a lot, and while no one ever seems to bat an eye when it happens, I have yet to see a single document to support the practice of Sea Cadets wearing OG-107 outside of an Army CSTC.

JB
    So the practice of conf course and services po's wearing combats at Quadra is just another quadraism then?
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

Sea

I hope my CO Lt (N) Offord lets us............... In talking to him after inspection tonight so Ill let everyone know what he says
    The Maple Leaf Forever

I guess what is good for the Navy is good for Sea Cadets too... unless crawling in the mud, Sea Cadets should be keen and proud displaying their elemental uniform...

Especially with the recent introduction of the STU at the corps.

Have you seen a lot of the Army/Air people (unless on a ship) trying to wear the Naval Combat Dress (or Work Dress for Sea Cadets) ?

My 2 cents.
    Lt(N) V. Martel, CD
    cd

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By vmartel08 :

This will be addressed in the new CATO. Sea Cadets, when authorized, will be allowed to wear the OD107, same as the army and air. Sea Cadet accoutrements shall be worn (slip-ons, black issued t-shirt, ball cap or tilly) as ordered. Black berets will not be issued and / or worn by Sea Cadets, was the last statement in the draft. Wait to see what hits the street. Also, the practice of wearing a rank slip-on on the belt sans jacket is not authorized (quadraism???)

Same rules apply for all the other stuff, no collar = no chains, no webbing, etc.

Sea Cadets will not be issued this kit (except at a CSTC that requires it), so anything would be a local purchase. I suspect that once this hits the street, the corps / sqn COs will have to enforce the "all or nothing" about uniform parts.

As Lt(N) Martel states, this should only be an issue for the CSTC as all the Corps people have the STU and should be wearing it. At this point, I can't imagine any corps CO allowing Sea Cadets to wear OD107s...just my thoughts...

Cheers
    LCdr J.L. Kuehnl-Cadwell, CD
    qgjmcd2

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Jackson View Post
    So the practice of conf course and services po's wearing combats at Quadra is just another quadraism then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
    Also, the practice of wearing a rank slip-on on the belt sans jacket is not authorized (quadraism???)
    I can assure you that there are Quebecisims too And they are quite similar with some differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
    Same rules apply for all the other stuff, no collar = no chains, no webbing, etc.
    Just got the mental image of a Sea Cadet wearing OD107 with a nice gunner/bos'n chain hanging around his neck...
    Lt(N) V. Martel, CD
    cd

For the record, it's OG107 not OD107.

Olive drab is an Americanism. It's olive green here.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Eek

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    For the record, it's OG107 not OD107.

Olive drab is an Americanism. It's olive green here.
    Uh oh my bad

Anyways I was told by my training officer that sea cadets may wear thd OG 107s WIth a black beret with no insignia (On occasions where civvies are allowed) Because technicly then we can get off by stateing they are our civvies (technicly they are.) Also the thing about the chain I didnt mean this to be worn for anything other then a field/utility uniform. But I got my awnsur from my corps and i can live with it. Although I despise work dress.
    The Maple Leaf Forever