+ Reply to Thread
    Sgt Cooper is on a distinguished road
    Power pilot Scholarship 2012

My name is Victoria Cooper and I am currently an Air Cadet of 617 Dambusters RCACS in Lewisporte Newfoundland. This summer I hope to apply for a Power Pilot Scholarship.

Last year I decided to apply for a Gliding scholarship in November. During that time, my Grandmother was dying in the hospital, and in December my Grandfather died suddenly, so it is safe to say my mind was not exactly on flying. I wanted this scholarship, though, worse than anything. Who do you know who can say they brought an FTGU to study at their Grandparents funeral?

I barely passed my exam with a 52, but was still given a fair chance at an interview that spring. When I arrived, I met the officers who would interview me. My short stature was questionable and they asked for me to be measured. With the minimum at 153 cm, I was a mere 3 cm off from my dream. Although I became greatly upset for an amount of time, I have no hard feelings toward anyone because of this outcome. I decided to apply for the most advanced course to help towards my chances to help me if I was to apply again next year. I did very well at RGS(A) at Advance Aviation Course; my end papers highly recommend me for flying training and staff cadet positions.

Since my course ended, I have dedicated my life to this scholarship. My locker in school is completely covered in different charts and diagrams including everything from carburetor icing to left turning tendencies to radio phrases to weather fronts. I study these charts before classes, at my break, and at dinnertime. When I come home from school, I usually study my notes a bit more, and at the end of the week I always aim to have at least an extra hour and a half of study time.

I have not grown since this time last year. In fact, It has been years since I have grown. I have since accepted the sad fact that I may never in my life be a glider pilot. I have shifted my interests elsewhere and have tried my best to forget about a gliding career. My squadron at this point do not offer "Groundschool", and as of this point there is no pilot cadet in my town. I am studying by myself and I want to do the best that I possibly can.

My greatest fear is that my chances will be diminished because of my lack of aviation experience. I mean, a pair of wings on your chest looks good when applying to power, even if you barely scraped your wings in glider. I KNOW I can be a pilot. I know it. And I know that I can do good. I have great motor skills and I certainly have the discipline. At this point, I am just worried that my chances could be diminished because I have not completed a gliding course. I understand that it is not a requirement, but it sure helps your chances.

I need help. I need to do everything in my power to help my chances of getting accepted. I am a girl, and I understand there is only a reserve amount of females able to participate each year. In your mind, what can I possibly do to help my chances? What marks do I need to get on my entrance exam? What do I need to understand? What are some of the main points I need to know? Anything. Anything you know that can help me, please just throw it out. Anything will help.

Thanks so much

Vickii Cooper
    617 DAMBUSTERS RCACS
    Lewisporte, NL
    Viva la Dambusters
    !

2. The Following User Likes This Post By Sgt Cooper :

Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Get the study CD from your squadron. It's what RGS(A) has given out to (most) squadrons in NFLD for ground school to prepare for the exam. Study that CD and you're golden.

You will want to aim for at least an 80% on your entrance exam, as well as ensure you have good school marks, excellent attendance and put in a good effort around your squadron. The fact you're a girl makes no difference in the selection, there is only a certain number of positions available for cadets, not females/males.

Just give it a good effort, and you'll have a solid chance at it I'm sure. I went through the RGS(A) program last summer so I'm still rather knowledgeable on the topic. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions related to the material or anything.
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

4. The Following User Likes This Post By Travis Buckle :

Just by hearing you talk about flying, really shows that you already know a lot about flying. "Psst, (whisper) I need to take a look at those Factors of performance and stuff too "

I am also going to apply for PPS this summer. With regards to PPS, one of my ret'd Warrants, now a CI and A/GI, got on PPS without GPS, and is an absolutely excellent A/GI (Haven't seen him fly, but I'm sure he is a very good pilot also).

What I found very useful was to do practice exams. At one point, just reading the FTGU doesn't really help you sink in information (not for me anyway). Find some practice exams to do. Do the 200+ questions in the back. If you can get a hold of the FTGU Workbook, you should try that too. If I can think of any more suggestions, I'll share them here.

Good luck
    OCdt Brian Wong
    Chief Ground School Instructor, Administration Officer
    150 Hamilton Tiger Squadron

g.landonbrowne is on a distinguished road
    It's all about leadership!