+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Service Band Camp badge with wreath

    Hey,

    2years ago, I attended Music I-V and received the camp badge with the harp. The previous year, I attended Service Band and received another camp badge with the harp (the EXACT same one). I was told that you are not allowed to wear the same badge on your uniform, even if it is the same camp.

    I went to a National Summer camp this summer and was told by my friends that Service Band in other regions ALWAYS get the harp with wreath.

    Is there any way I could get hold of a badge? Would my sqn SupplyO be able to order one for me? It now looks like I have only 2 summer camps, while I actually have 3.
    OCdt Joshua Siu
    RMC St-Jean
    888 Avenger / 637 Arrow RCACS (Vancouver, BC) [2008-2013]
    //AATC Staff 2013//GPS 2012//Aircraft Maintenance 2011//
    //Service Band 2010//Music I-V 2009//


  2. #2
    Quick point: It's a wreath, not a reef.
    Alexander Rodd, PE

  3. The Following User Likes This Post By a.rodd :


  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by a.rodd View Post
    Quick point: It's a wreath, not a reef.
    Thanks. Something looked fishy =P.

    Any idea how to change thread title?
    OCdt Joshua Siu
    RMC St-Jean
    888 Avenger / 637 Arrow RCACS (Vancouver, BC) [2008-2013]
    //AATC Staff 2013//GPS 2012//Aircraft Maintenance 2011//
    //Service Band 2010//Music I-V 2009//


  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsiu View Post
    Thanks. Something looked fishy =P.

    Any idea how to change thread title?
    Use the report button (The little triangle with an exclamation point in it) and ask for it to be changed.
    Alexander Rodd, PE

  6. #5
    As far as I know, it's also a lyre, not a harp!

    Your Supply O should be able to get you one, follow the chain of command and if you're eligible for the badge, everything should work out just fine. Although I'd seek confirmation with the air cadet CATOs ( http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...-aviation.aspx )- they were just updated, so maybe that'd shed some more light on the matter? I'm not sure which level Service Band would fall under, so good luck on that matter.

  7. #6
    The lyre and wreath badge was usually only given to Cadets attending a music summer training course that achieved their level 4 or 5 during that summer. This was common practice in Pacific region, specifically Albert Head. I am unsure if it was set out in the previous CATOs for dress instructions, but that's what has happened.

    On another note, the new summer camp badges look kind of funky without the white border. Personally, they'll take some time to get used to.
    --
    Jonathan Mok
    Second Lieutenant
    759 Falcon RCAC Squadron

  8. #7
    Mitch.Simpson is on a distinguished road Mitch.Simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    166
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    1
    A bit unrelated, but still on the topic of badges - I attended the new ARMI course this summer, and apparently our camp badges are the same as the old rifle coach badges! They don't even match the CATOs just posted as well.
    WO1 (retired) Mitch Simpson
    Former Squadron Cadet Commander
    706 Ottawa Snowy Owl Air Cadet Squadron
    aircsm
    BASIC '08 BACSTC, ITSC '09 BACSTC, ARMIC '11 CNACSTC, GT STAFF '12 BACSTC

  9. #8
    JackJack is on a distinguished road JackJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Canaan, NS
    Posts
    1,501
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CMok View Post
    The lyre and wreath badge was usually only given to Cadets attending a music summer training course that achieved their level 4 or 5 during that summer. This was common practice in Pacific region, specifically Albert Head. I am unsure if it was set out in the previous CATOs for dress instructions, but that's what has happened.

    On another note, the new summer camp badges look kind of funky without the white border. Personally, they'll take some time to get used to.
    According to the old CATO, a cadet that had attended ML 4-5 Course should have received that badge. Not necessarily achieving their music level 4 or 5.

    To the OP, the old CATO states that a service band should receive the badge with the white border and not the wreath. The ML 4-5 Course was considered the "Music Instructor Course", therefore it received the wreath. So, the CSTC you attended was correct in giving you the badges they did, and in telling you that you can only wear one.
    Lt Jacqueline Roberts
    517 F/Lt Graham RCACS

  10. #9
    Then theoretically, for a Cadet to attend the Music 4-5 course, they would be required to pass their level 4 or 5 in order to complete the requirements of the course.

    If a Cadet was unsuccessful during the Music 4-5 course, having not met the requirements of level 4 or 5 music proficiency, then they would not have received the lyre and wreath badge because they have not completed the requirements of the Music 4-5 course.

    With respect to that, I'm not sure why Service Band started handing those out. As a Cadet, it makes more sense considering that once you complete one band course, you only get that one badge to wear even if you take other music courses. So the badge with the lyre & wreath showed your musical capabilities more accurately than just one badge with the lyre. I guess the new CATOs fix that problem with their partial wreaths for Intermediate Musician.
    --
    Jonathan Mok
    Second Lieutenant
    759 Falcon RCAC Squadron

  11. #10
    JackJack is on a distinguished road JackJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Canaan, NS
    Posts
    1,501
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CMok View Post
    Then theoretically, for a Cadet to attend the Music 4-5 course, they would be required to pass their level 4 or 5 in order to complete the requirements of the course.

    If a Cadet was unsuccessful during the Music 4-5 course, having not met the requirements of level 4 or 5 music proficiency, then they would not have received the lyre and wreath badge because they have not completed the requirements of the Music 4-5 course.
    And theoretically a cadet could have achieved that level on Service Band, or Music 1-5, or Music 3-5. Those courses existed.
    Lt Jacqueline Roberts
    517 F/Lt Graham RCACS

  12. #11
    DA Wright is on a distinguished road DA Wright's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004
    Location
    CFB Borden, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,532
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
    And theoretically a cadet could have achieved that level on Service Band, or Music 1-5, or Music 3-5. Those courses existed.
    The only 'official' air courses for music were basic band, service band, music 1-3 and music 4-5. The badges reflected that. What was offered in individual regions and at individual CSTCs reflected the needs and best fit for the area. As a result, some places offered 1-5, others split it as 1-3 and 4-5, while others did 2-4 or 1-2 and 3-5. Regardless, the badge that ought to have been issued is based on the prerequsites of the 'official' course description by which the cadet was loaded. if a cadet loaded on a 2-4 course met the requirements to be loaded and complete the 4-5 course, they should have been presented with the wreath, if only for the 1-3 course, no wreath. That said, this was not always communicated clearly, and there was sometimes confusion and/or disagreement both within the music staffs, and for Log/support staff mailing badges out with certificates. Mistakes were made.

    Service band was always the 'plain' badge (no wreath) regardless of the music level attained.
    D.A. Wright
    Maj
    Plans O
    RCSU Central
    Do, or do not, there is no try -Yoda

  13. The Following User Likes This Post By DA Wright :


  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DA Wright View Post
    The only 'official' air courses for music were basic band, service band, music 1-3 and music 4-5. The badges reflected that. What was offered in individual regions and at individual CSTCs reflected the needs and best fit for the area. As a result, some places offered 1-5, others split it as 1-3 and 4-5, while others did 2-4 or 1-2 and 3-5. Regardless, the badge that ought to have been issued is based on the prerequsites of the 'official' course description by which the cadet was loaded. if a cadet loaded on a 2-4 course met the requirements to be loaded and complete the 4-5 course, they should have been presented with the wreath, if only for the 1-3 course, no wreath. That said, this was not always communicated clearly, and there was sometimes confusion and/or disagreement both within the music staffs, and for Log/support staff mailing badges out with certificates. Mistakes were made.

    Service band was always the 'plain' badge (no wreath) regardless of the music level attained.

    Thank you for clarifying sir.
    OCdt Joshua Siu
    RMC St-Jean
    888 Avenger / 637 Arrow RCACS (Vancouver, BC) [2008-2013]
    //AATC Staff 2013//GPS 2012//Aircraft Maintenance 2011//
    //Service Band 2010//Music I-V 2009//


  15. #13
    Essentially same thread: http://www.cadet-world.com/cwforums/...ges&highlight=
    Great question!
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan
    Villeneuve Cadet Flying Site

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts