+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rwgill View Post
    It's the SOT Gala, in Regina. The galleries were filled with equipment for all to see.
    Yes...... will use less dry wit in future and/or try harder to actually be funny.

2. The Following User Likes This Post By N. McKay :

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    Yes...... will use less dry wit in future and/or try harder to actually be funny.
    Don't fear the smilies

Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    When the Army still wore service caps, I saw them worn often in mess dress. Now that the Army is in berets it appears that they are left in the car.
    Service Caps are still athorized as undress - our Mess kit is an undress uniform. Of course this is not applicable for Cadets - maybe a thread split is in order?
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Service Caps are still athorized as undress - our Mess kit is an undress uniform. Of course this is not applicable for Cadets - maybe a thread split is in order?
    Darn........

Forage cap, service cap, field service cap.............

I meant forage cap, which has also been called a service cap, which is sometimes called a peak cap.

Sorry for the confusion.

Anyone else up for a split?

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rhino Rob :

Darn........

I meant forage cap, which has also been called a service cap, which is sometimes called a peak cap.

Sorry for the confusion.

You have piqued my interest on this.

By the way did anyone notice in the video I posted the faux pas committed by the CLS? Which is why the video should remain in this thread.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Darn........

Sorry for the confusion.

It's always been called a peaked cap in naval circles. Note that dress regs now allow mess dress to be worn without headdress, which was the common practice anyway. I, myself, always wear a cap, but then again naval officers are the only ones left who have a proper officer's cap.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

9. The Following User Likes This Post By LCdr Gene Fedderly :

Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    You have piqued my interest on this.

By the way did anyone notice in the video I posted the faux pas committed by the CLS? Which is why the video should remain in this thread.
    Saluting without headdress

11. The Following User Likes This Post By Rhino Rob :

Saluting without headdress
    I blame those darn 'mericans.
    Alexander Rodd, PE

Note that dress regs now allow mess dress to be worn without headdress, which was the common practice anyway.
    Sorry, where does it say that?

A couple of good reasons to wear it:

1) its in the regs,
    2) to pay or recieve compliments in the building or mess (particularily if a quarter guard has been mounted)
    3) and as normally one does not drive into the mess or building, necessitating walking outside...and one must needs pay or recieve compliments

Specific to the CIC, from the mess kit pattern regs:
    Under # 11: Additional Items
    d) Headress:
    (1) Male: Cap, Service
    (2) Female: Hat, Service

The fact that these are no longer produced or available from logistik does not remove the responsibility to wear one (plus why would one wear the ugly green cap (or even beret) with white or red mess dress). I know, I did, but I was a lowly OCdt. then who could get away with stuff like that...

CF Dress Regs, Mess Dress, page 6B-2:

8. Outerwear. The following outerwear may be
    worn or carried with mess dress as appropriate:
    a. headdress (worn outdoors);

As the rest of the mess kit is a NPF purchase, why neglect the proper general service pattern forage/peaked/service cap, as authorized?

Quote Originally Posted by LCdr Gene Fedderly View Post
    It's always been called a peaked cap in naval circles. Note that dress regs now allow mess dress to be worn without headdress, which was the common practice anyway. I, myself, always wear a cap, but then again naval officers are the only ones left who have a proper officer's cap.
    Where? Except for the lack of clarity in the entry that says "may be carried" The default is "head dress is worn with all orders of dress" Like you I always wear a cap.
    GWP
    osjqgjm
    qdjmcd1osjsm

mvac

if you take the "may be carried" in context, it is obvious that the phrase refers to other, optional items such as handbags and umbrellas detailed farther down.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemup View Post
    CF Dress Regs, Mess Dress, page 6B-2:

8. Outerwear. The following outerwear may be
    worn or carried with mess dress as appropriate:
    a. headdress (worn outdoors);
    The word may makes it not required, but is permitted. As appropriate makes it clear that there may be occasions when it may be required or perhaps ordered.

The word may makes it not required, but is permitted. As appropriate makes it clear that there may be occasions when it may be required or perhaps ordered.
    This is interesting from the RCIS(Atlantic) Gagetown joining instructions 2011/12

No. 2 MESS STANDARD – Mess Kit, applicable elemental Mess Kit, miniature medals, oxfords, headdress optional.
    No. 2B MESS SERVICE – Tunic, white shirt and bow tie (all elements and gender), CF pants (skirt optional for females), nametags, undress ribbons, oxfords (male), oxfords or pumps (female), headdress optional.
    When ordered headdress would be optional.
    GWP
    osjqgjm
    qdjmcd1osjsm

mvac

I believe there were also some CF Dress Committee minutes or a CANFORGEN that promulgated this. Will dig it up.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2