+ Reply to Thread

Which type of Bass drum, snare drum, and mace to buy for new band?

I am the Drum Major of a new band.

I need to know which bass drum, snare, and mace to get.

Any details and links to cheap and appropriate equipment that can easily be bought or shipped to Vancouver?

http://www.thebandroom.com/store/ind...d4d9da43fd5377 ?
    OCdt Joshua Siu
    RMC St-Jean
    888 Avenger / 637 Arrow RCACS (Vancouver, BC) [2008-2013]
    //AATC Staff 2013//GPS 2012//Aircraft Maintenance 2011//
    //Service Band 2010//Music I-V 2009//

Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo's Avatar
    It all depends on the look and sound. I love the sound of a clearer bass drum as opposed to the muffled ones, and generally you would go and play the instruments before you buy them. As for the mace, different people prefer different lengths as some are extremely short and some are long. I am 5"4 and my mace is 50" and I could not have asked for a more perfect size. You could grab a few different broomsticks and see which heights you prefer - you will get adjusted to the crown weight after a few spins, so don't worry about that. All in all, just look around, play around - I wouldn't order anything online before actually hearing it. You don't want bad quality snare drums, that's for sure.
    gflsfcm CPO1 Anya Pogorelova
    Reputation is what others know about you;
    Honour is what you know about yourself.

How much money does your sponcom have?

Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsiu View Post
    I am the Drum Major of a new band.

I need to know which bass drum, snare, and mace to get.

Any details and links to cheap and appropriate equipment that can easily be bought or shipped to Vancouver?

http://www.thebandroom.com/store/ind...d4d9da43fd5377 ?
    Try Tom Lee Music. They have been around forever and have tons of stores in the Lower Mainland including a "mega store" in Vancouver. http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/home.cfm?id=46
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

Punydman is on a distinguished road Punydman's Avatar
    We've got a Yamaha bass drum that we're using right now. It's not exactly the most hulking thing you'll see, but it's a nice piece of work. Apparently it cost us quite a bit at the time (in the days that I still hadn't joined).
    PO1 (rt'd) D. Kwok lsmrclcmescsm - RCSCC CALGARY onward
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist waits for it to change; and a realist adjusts the sails." -Anon

As a Cadet and even as a Band instructor I've had a love for premier and Pearl Drums. avoid some of the lower end snares with the Teflon coated snares, their sound is deep and gross compared to the high crisp sounds you get with metal snares. some of the double headed snares sound fantastic but their much higher on maintenance.

if you can get your drums from the same series you'll generally get an even sound.

the mace you use will most likely be a premier as well, and if you can get a practice crown it'll help you with keeping your mace lasting long. only use the actual crown for CO's parade and special occasions.

as for the length, it should be shoulder height to your drum major, some squadrons use some a little shorter to help accommodate shorter drum majors in the future, and obviously you cant get a new mace for every new drum major.

You also haven't specified on what type of band you have. (pipe band, brass and reed, glock and drum, etc) the drums you use should compliment the type of band you use.
    CI Meadus
    577 Dragonriders RCACS
    Band 05 GACSTC, BMC 04 GACSTC, ITLC 03 GACSTC, Basic 02 GACSTC

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    Setting aside pipe bands, and speaking more as a "user" than a musician.

The drum-line is the only part of the band that really matters to the rest of the unit. Every other section could be absent, or playing scales: however, let the bass drummer or the snares falter, and there goes the march-past.

For a bass drum, first consider volume. An intentionally quiet bass drum is nothing but a nuisance. Having established that, deal with sound quality: my personal preference is batter heads, as they lend a heavier "note" without the beaten-mattress sound of a drum muffled with overmuch cloth.

Some muffling will be necessary, at least for a parade drum: unmuffled, and played loud enough for the squadron to hear clearly over the rest of the band and all the other parade racket, most heads will have a nasty reverberation, on top of the actual beat. So... Loud, deep, and resonant. Try, too, for reasonably light-weight; avoid the metal-shelled bass as you value your bass drummer's back. The best-sounding drums I've heard have had reasonably thick plywood shells, and been at least a foot; likely closer to fourteen or fifteen inches; across.

Look at hard-felt mallets at least twice the size of the usual white-red-white ones, with longer handles. Better leverage (your drummer will thank you), larger impact-area (your drum-head will last longer), and, I think, a better sound.

Use para cord or other soft, strong, and substantial line for the cords: whether or not your bass drummer spins, they shouldn't be using their fingers to hold onto the mallet: fingers are for control. Instead, fit the cord so if you put the loop over your wrist, you can then take the loop, run it between your thumb and hand, then across the back of your hand, leaving the lowest part of the grip in your palm. The idea is that the cord does most of the work of holding the mallet, and distributes some of the strain.

For snares, there's a bit more flex; if you want my personal opinion, go for lighter weight, larger double-snares with heavy upper heads (batter or similar). You need something with some substance for the head, lest you either end up with dreadful tinny noises, or end up cranking your drums down to a pipe-drum-like level. Mil-band drum snares (the parts, rather than the instruments) should buzz, rather than crack, when the drum is struck.

For added musical options, see if you can get drums on which the snares, when switched off, don't sound when the drum is struck, for that old-style sound.

Anyway, that's my rather rambling two cents.

Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo is a glorious beacon of light Pogo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrapiper View Post
    The best-sounding drums I've heard have had reasonably thick plywood shells, and been at least a foot; likely closer to fourteen or fifteen inches; across.
    By across, do you mean diameter? I can curl up inside our bass drum case and still have room left over to stretch. It's huge! Probably a solid 2 1/2 feet. I don't have very good pictures where you can appreciate the size though. Anyhow it's got a great sound, I like it very much.

JackJack is on a distinguished road JackJack's Avatar
    My school just bought $9000 dollars worth of drumline gear from Yamaha and I LOVE it. Better than any drums we've ever had at the squadron (most likely because they're a zillion yeas old). My suggestion would be to see what your money situation is and get the best bang for your buck.
    And don't forget you'll need things like practice pads, sticks, tuning keys and extra drumheads.
    And whoever mentioned go for the metal snares, I completely agree. They sound so much better.
    Lt Jacqueline Roberts
    517 F/Lt Graham RCACS

CW Social Media Team Member clr4449 is on a distinguished road clr4449's Avatar
    Just some advice for the mace. You'll want to buy two. My squadron has one mace for competitions and regular training nights, the other one is for practice, and thus can be knocked around a bit more and you'll still have one that's looking good for parade.
    2Lt Craig L. "Rosie" Rosensweig
    351 Silver Star Squadron
    Assistant Training Officer
    Retired WO2, 166 Bulldog Squadron
    aircsmrclcme

I am surprised no one has asked this question:

Have you talked to your Band O and/or CO about this? You shouldn't present yourself to businesses representing your Sqn. That's what the adult staff is for. And mentioned above, what kind of money does your sponsor have?

Talk to your officers first.
    Lt(N) Nathan T. Brown, Sr. (Ret'd)
    gsm5cd para
    armycsm1

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    By across, do you mean diameter? I can curl up inside our bass drum case and still have room left over to stretch. It's huge! Probably a solid 2 1/2 feet. I don't have very good pictures where you can appreciate the size though. Anyhow it's got a great sound, I like it very much.
    Not diameter, but depth?

Quote Originally Posted by quadrapiper View Post
    Not diameter, but depth?
    Gotcha. Ours is about a foot in depth, if not more, and a solid 2 1/2 feet in diameter (once again, if not more...)

Quote Originally Posted by NatoBro View Post
    I am surprised no one has asked this question:

Have you talked to your Band O and/or CO about this? You shouldn't present yourself to businesses representing your Sqn. That's what the adult staff is for. And mentioned above, what kind of money does your sponsor have?

Talk to your officers first.
    Yes cadets should not spend willy knilly on items for the unit, let the officers do it so that they become responsible for the bills instead of you.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

15. The Following User Likes This Post By J. Gleiberman :

JackJack is on a distinguished road JackJack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    Yes cadets should not spend willy knilly on items for the unit, let the officers do it so that they become responsible for the bills instead of you.
    I know for my unit though, they ask our opinion of what they should buy because they don't really know much. That may be what is happening here.
    Lt Jacqueline Roberts
    517 F/Lt Graham RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
    I know for my unit though, they ask our opinion of what they should buy because they don't really know much. That may be what is happening here.
    Not saying that cadets shouldn't have a say in what is to be bought, it should however be up to the officers to buy it. Furthermore we have to becareful who handles the money because we have obligations to the League and DND to account for money spent on unit equipment. If I were to tell our League Rep I gave $500.00 to a cadet to buy a bass drum I would probably be boiled in oil, or vaporized by his laser beam stare.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.