+ Reply to Thread
    Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar

Final Combat Operation in Afghanistan finishes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2049546/

It's weird to see this. Kinda seems like the end of an era. A whole decade, with all the alleged conspiracy theories and whatnot, I am glad we are pulling out.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

So no more Afghanistan?
    WO2. Coniconde
    rclcmeaircsm
    ✈547 Canuck RCACS | GT 2010, BS 2011,SI 2012,STAFF HMCS ONTARIO 2014
    canadaphilippines
    For God,Queen and Country

g.landonbrowne is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureParatrooper View Post
    So no more Afghanistan?
    canada will continue to play a role in the redevelopement and construction of the afghan infastructure, by training the military, and assisting in humanitarian missions

Quote Originally Posted by g.landonbrowne View Post
    canada will continue to play a role in the redevelopement and construction of the afghan infastructure, by training the military, and assisting in humanitarian missions
    Yeah, the keyword was combat operation. It was the final offensive combat operation conducted by Canadian troops. The mission is now solely for training and rebuilding Afghanistan.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

Why are we there in the first place?, it seems kinda a waste of money and troops.
    WO2. Coniconde
    rclcmeaircsm
    canadaphilippines

6. The Following User Likes This Post By FutureParatrooper :

Why are we there in the first place?, it seems kinda a waste of money and troops.
    While the mission may seem to have been pointless, I have no doubt that Canadian Forces and other members of the various peacekeeping forces sent to Afghanistan have improved the lives for men, women and children a like.
    The idealism could never be removed, it is impossible to go to war with a concept.
    Canada went to Afghanistan because like so many nations, we uphold the idea that everybody should have a fair, equal and reasonable standard of life. not matter where they live.
    In my eyes it was a job well done, thankyou to all CF members and veterans for being part of something both admirable and memorable.

A WASTE OF TROOPS? Argh.
    I would hope of your gonna say something like that, you could at least have proper sentence structure. I hope you didn't meant their sacrifices were wasted but anyways, there are books written by Canadians who have been involved in Afghanistan that will answer that question.

There are people here who fully believe what we are trying to accomplish is bang on. And I support them. And there are people, in uniform, who wonder. And I support them as well.

Having spent, by the end, 2.5 years (give or take a month) in this dry dusty place, I think we did good. But it's time for someone else to do the heavy lifting.
    Lt(N) Nathan T. Brown, Sr. (Ret'd)
    gsm5cd para
    armycsm1

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    A WASTE OF TROOPS? Argh.
    I would hope of your gonna say something like that, you could at least have proper sentence structure. I hope you didn't meant their sacrifices were wasted but anyways, there are books written by Canadians who have been involved in Afghanistan that will answer that question.
    I didnt mean it like that, I meant that so many lives were lost for what?
    WO2. Coniconde
    rclcmeaircsm
    canadaphilippines

don't words like freedom, democracy, equality, sanctimony, honour, duty and adversity mean anything to you?
    our brave men and women risk their lives day in and day out never forget that

Not everyone grew up with the right to say that and many still don't have that right. We are giving them schools, democracy and the chance to be on Youtube. I seriously suggest you go to the library or even a bookstore and buy a book on the Afghanistan mission and we can have an in depth discussion about it on here with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by g.landonbrowne View Post
    don't words like freedom, democracy, equality, sanctimony, honour, duty and adversity mean anything to you?
    our brave men and women risk their lives day in and day out never forget that
    Paratrooper does ask a good question. Is it worth it (has long that we have boots in the ground lets not forget that soldiers are at risk of beeing target)? Did we pay to much in casulty, money and lost time for what we have gain in Afghanistan?

May I suggest that we move this thread somewhere else where it might be more appropriate (If I am not mistaking the Support our Troops forum wasn't created for debating)

DA Wright is on a distinguished road DA Wright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thib View Post
    Paratrooper does ask a good question. Is it worth it (has long that we have boots in the ground lets not forget that soldiers are at risk of beeing target)? Did we pay to much in casulty, money and lost time for what we have gain in Afghanistan?

May I suggest that we move this thread somewhere else where it might be more appropriate (If I am not mistaking the Support our Troops forum wasn't created for debating)
    Such a debate would indeed be better situated in International Issues; however, it would be completely innappropriate for any CF member to comment on government policy decisions respecting the deployment of our forces, so I would suggest against it, or place a cautionary sticky there.
    D.A. Wright
    Maj
    Plans O
    RCSU Central
    Do, or do not, there is no try -Yoda

The way you say it sounds a lot better but in my original post I tried to touch on the controversy as lightly as possible but not ignore it. I wonder the same as you but the politics isn't important to me now, it's over. But as DA Wright says, most people on the forum who would have been involved in the mission directly, along with most of the adults on this forum are members of the Canadian Forces and not at freedom to publicly comment on government policies.

may i suggest instead of debating you educate, attempting to debate the missions worthwile is only one way to show the accomplishments our troops achieved

not only was canada there to "peace keep" and train the army, after 25 years of self-preservation in that country canada was instrumental in training to govern the country, to police the country, to introduce new agriculteral systems and irrigation, to build schools and promote education, to furthur develop immunization etc.

would anyone be able to tell me the name of canada's last combat operation in afghanistan? I have not been able to fin it and it would be greatly appreciated.
    FSgt L.A POIRIER
    746 Lightning Hawk RCACS
    BAC2010/AOC2011/AMC2012

Quote Originally Posted by poirier.la View Post
    not only was canada there to "peace keep" and train the army, after 25 years of self-preservation in that country canada was instrumental in training to govern the country, to police the country, to introduce new agriculteral systems and irrigation, to build schools and promote education, to furthur develop immunization etc.

would anyone be able to tell me the name of canada's last combat operation in afghanistan? I have not been able to fin it and it would be greatly appreciated.
    Op Athena was the name of the overall operation in Afghanistan.

Canada was not in Afghanistan as a peacekeeping force, at least in the traditional sense. This was a combat mission, above all else. There is a rather large difference between the two, especially in terms of what action we were permitted.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

The present mission now is call Op Attention
    James Gallagher
    Canadian Forcescanada

"To close with and destroy the enemy, by day or by night, regardless of season, weather or terrain."

The people of Afghanistan asked Canada to help bring peace and stability to their country. Canada is assisting Afghans in rebuilding their nation and in creating a better future for themselves and the children. The CF are fighting terrorism in order to protect Canadian values at home and abroad.

More here

http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.c.../index-eng.asp
    or here

http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.c...astops-eng.asp

And the ongoing operation here

http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.c.../index-eng.asp
    GWP
    osjqgjm
    qdjmcd1osjsm

mvac

Canadian Mission in Afghanistan

An excellent series on the mission in Afghanistan in the National Post