+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    Yoman is on a distinguished road Yoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    You're likely there for the full 4 years. If RMC thought that your were only going to be there for 2-3 years, they would have let you finnish at a civi university.

The RMC degree isn't just academics, there's three other pillars (French, military development, and physical fitness) that have requirements for each year of the four year program.

What will likely happen is that RMC will give you equivalency for a select few of your UofT courses, which will make your academic schedule abit lighter for the first two years.

Why didn't you just finish your degree at UofT under the ROTP program?
    Quite a few 1st years were bumped up to 2nd year after their first semester this past year because they had prior university credits. You really won't know until you get here and have a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment) done.

I managed to transfer to 3rd year for next year. PLAR gave me 15 credits. It was a lot of paperwork though.
    OCdt aircsm
    RMC Class of 2011-2014
    Armoured Officer
    818 Toronto Falcon Squadron
    Basic 2k5 ISLAC 2k6 ITSC 2k7 ITRCC 2k8 Power 2k9

Quote Originally Posted by Yoman View Post
    Quite a few 1st years were bumped up to 2nd year after their first semester this past year because they had prior university credits. You really won't know until you get here and have a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment) done.
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    I managed to transfer to 3rd year for next year. PLAR gave me 15 credits. It was a lot of paperwork though.
    This is news to me. Back then it was pretty hard to transfer that many credits. On top of that, skipping years was impossible. Now, one reason one would might not skip a year is that there are military requirements to complete as well as phase training too.

I guess they are getting comprehensive with the PLAR. Congrats to all of you who managed to transfer these credits.

F.R. Bosse, BA(Hons.), G.Dip, rmc

Quote Originally Posted by RMC 24409 View Post
    This is news to me. Back then it was pretty hard to transfer that many credits. On top of that, skipping years was impossible. Now, one reason one would might not skip a year is that there are military requirements to complete as well as phase training too.

I guess they are getting comprehensive with the PLAR. Congrats to all of you who managed to transfer these credits.
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. In terms of military requirements, most of the requirements such as PMT, etc. can be waived without training loss. Critical military requirements, such as drill tests, etc. can be scheduled individually or in groups of those advancing. Other critical requirements are usually completed in 3rd/4th year now (OPI, Teach a class, etc.)

In terms of phase training, that is also usually highly individual. They've moved towards putting the priority on SLT during the summer after BMOQ, and so most phase training is done in later summers. Additionally, quite a few trades only start their trade training after graduation, and there are no issues with pushing phase training back until after graduation.

128 DTG!
    2Lt Thomas Huet
    Air Combat Systems Officer

ACSO 1302 - 1CFFTS
    College No. 25193

ML88 is on a distinguished road ML88's Avatar
    I`m going to be applying to RMC next year for the year of 2014-15 to go there for first year. IS there anything I need to know?

CPO2 Marcus Levis (ret.) 2008-2015
    R.C.S.C.C. 319 Centurion
    A great cadet career is only as good as the memories you make and keep!

Quote Originally Posted by ML88 View Post
    I`m going to be applying to RMC next year for the year of 2014-15 to go there for first year. IS there anything I need to know?
    Some RMC-specific stuff. Also see general points for joining the CF, such as what to prepare for with the interview and such.

Join the reserves now ASAP. If you were a private in the reserves before going to RMC, you'll get paid much more than people who enter directly to RMC (it isn't even fair!). If you can get some mods of your BMQ done through the reserves, you'll also spend less time getting shaft in your first summer.

Be able to pass the CMC PPT test. Be able to do 38 pushups, 50 situps, run a 9.5 on the 20m shuttle run, and long jump around 2.10 metres. The CF EXPRES test is very easy, but if you fail your PPT then you get stuck on supp PT every morning.... which I hear sucks from some people here.

And finally, cross your fingers and sincerely hope that you are accepted to Kingston rather than Saint-Jean.

If you want more info, or want particulars feel free to send me a message or reply here. I can only tell you about what I've been through at Saint-Jean, though. Maybe someone else here is at Kingston?

Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Anything you specifically want to know? There's lots of information you'll be expected to learn once you get here.

If there's anything RMC Kingston specific you'd like to know shoot me a message.

You'll find www.army.ca useful as well, lots of information about RMC and the CAF.
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

Well, I've started the application process for ROTP 2014-15 Anyone else?
    Officer Cadet A. Schambers
    Former WO1 80 K-W Spitfire Squadron

Yup. Fellow ROTP application right here.

I should start that official application when I get back home...
    CI Balasch
    "Good leadership is like flying by the seat of your pants, you only realise how much you enjoyed it once you've flown out of the clouds..." -Ex WOI 862 Lambeth Lightning

Kaelakov is on a distinguished road Kaelakov's Avatar
    Hey, I'm an ROTP applicant for ROTP 2014-2015 aswell.

You can find me here as Paul_Ontario
    http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.p...62965.html#new

Anyone else here applying out of CFRC Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Bow3n View Post
    Anything you specifically want to know? There's lots of information you'll be expected to learn once you get here.

If there's anything RMC Kingston specific you'd like to know shoot me a message.

You'll find www.army.ca useful as well, lots of information about RMC and the CAF.
    Bow3n, Before you complete your Honours degree in Economics, may I recommend you examine the option of a BBA with minor in Economics? The economics classes in the BA program at RMC are not that great. I was examining taking it as a minor when I was there (05-09) but I don't even recall them having any finance lessons for example. I eventually graduated Honours History. In business school now and applying to M.Sc and MBA programs. The comparative approach of a history degree is an edge, I would say. Conjuncture-wise.

From what I see, today, the BBA at RMC is more of an actual economics degree than the BA in Political Science and Economics. Just a thought. You would need the GRE or the GMAT for an MA/MSc in Economics or MBA respectively if you would decide to move on with post-grad studies later.

Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Haven't been on here in ages, and just saw this message.

I'm continuing with my Honours in Economics. The Economics program at RMC is up to standard, if not better, than other programs around the country. Yes, we do have finance courses. The BBA at RMC, however, is just a general business degree with no opportunity to specialize. Many MA Economics programs around the country do not require the GMAT and the GRE is only required at few post-grad institutions or if I plan on going to post-grad outside of Canada. Economics is also a smaller program than Business that allows me to learn in an environment of 3-6 students instead of 30+. Having smaller classes has allowed me to learn far more and in more depth than most programs here.

Although, the program is being amalgamated into a management degree(Business/Economics) for the Class of 2016 and onwards, there is still a good variety of courses available to us 3rd/4th years left in the program. Once you take both business and economics courses, there is a clear divide in what each program learns. Business and economics are VASTLY different and an Honours in Economics will prepare me for an MA far better than a BBA and Economics Minor.

I'm not sure how the program worked in 2005-2009, but as far as I can tell the Economics program has changed a lot. My sister did the program from 2008-2012 and there's already a noticeable difference, however, at RMC today the program is just fine and I absolutely love the economics courses I'm taking. Thank you for your concern though and I apologize for the late reply. Not a regular on here anymore haha.
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

Resurrecting the beast

Sorry for disturbing the dead here but I'm a year out from applying to RMC and wanted to know the marks of some people that were accepted to be Signal Officers. I passed math with an 88% last semester and was sitting on an average of 84%. I am hoping to get a computer engineering degree and wondered if any of you guys had any tips for someone like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rofltropter View Post
    Sorry for disturbing the dead here but I'm a year out from applying to RMC and wanted to know the marks of some people that were accepted to be Signal Officers. I passed math with an 88% last semester and was sitting on an average of 84%. I am hoping to get a computer engineering degree and wondered if any of you guys had any tips for someone like me!
    Marks aren't everything. One of my classmates got in with a low 70s average. Just make sure you have other things to put on your application than your marks, which as a cadet you should have. If you are a year out, I'd recommend beginning to do PT, especially bodyweight exercises, and maybe even take some French classes.

The big problem with marks isn't being accepted, it's keeping up the minimum once you're there. The #1 reason to get failed out of RMC is the marks, and the workload can be very intense. If you're at CMR for first year, then you'll be taking 7 full courses a semester on top of a methodology course, a PT course, and mandatory extra-curricular activities. In comparison, most universities would have you taking 5 courses per semester without the add-ons. So be prepared for a fast-paced environment that not everyone can keep up to, and learn good time management in high school!
    SLt Raddatz
    344 RCSCC

Question Rotp

Hey, I just have a few questions about applying to the ROTP. I'm going to grade 12 next school year, and I don't understand when I should apply.

1. Do I apply right now?
    2. When I apply, it asks me for the career I'm applying for and my education level. What do I do?
    3. If I apply now, how will they get my grade 12 marks?

Please HELP!!! I really want to get admission in the RMCC and I need someone to guide me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySnipa999 View Post
    Hey, I just have a few questions about applying to the ROTP. I'm going to grade 12 next school year, and I don't understand when I should apply.

1. Do I apply right now?
    2. When I apply, it asks me for the career I'm applying for and my education level. What do I do?
    3. If I apply now, how will they get my grade 12 marks?

Please HELP!!! I really want to get admission in the RMCC and I need someone to guide me.
    1. You can see a recruiter at a Recruiting Centre now. They can start setting up the file and this will give you a better idea of the timeline. Most of the paperwork should be in by end of October (traditionally been so). The rest should be forwarded later IE, you may receive a conditional acceptance letter based on your final grades.

2. In Ontario you need Uprep courses to go to RMC. If you want an NCM occupation then obviously you won't need to go to RMC. You will have to have an idea of your career choices when you get to the Recruiting Centre. They will assist you in determining which one you may be eligible for (Aptitude test, Education level etc.)

3. Grade 12 marks will have to be forwarded to the Recruiting Centre by you when you get them.

Many potential RMC students will be applying in the fall time-frame when the various universities and colleges across the country send their recruiters to high schools to hunt for applicants.

There's certainly no rush, but getting your foot in the door sooner, rather than later, is certainly recommended.
    gcs2gsmssm
    natofyqdjmcd
    lsmrclcmeaircsm1
    SLC '98 - AIC '99 - Power '00 - RMC '06