+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinion of CPU

Opinion of CPU

Ok I've been talking to a lot of people and every person i talked to has said the are against the changes that are being made by the CPU especially the changes to the courses available at CSTCs. So what i am looking for is your opinions of the CPU and the changes that are being implemented by it.

Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    I have also seen many mixed opinions on the CPU. I feel that all of the changes have been brought forth for a reason, however I think they should have involved cadets a little more as they were creating the CPU.

When it comes to the summer courses, I think that is just a personal problem they're having with trying to get the new names straight/upset their favorite courses are no more. (Well, that's from the air side anyway)
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

DA Wright is on a distinguished road DA Wright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Buckle View Post
    When it comes to the summer courses, I think that is just a personal problem they're having with trying to get the new names straight/upset their favorite courses are no more. (Well, that's from the air side anyway)
    For summer training on the air side, you are right. There has not been a huge amount of change, just an updating of content and some redistribution of lengths of courses and sequencing/pre-requisites. While LCIC is not identical to SLC, many of the same objectives will be achieved through different methodology, and I think we will have better prepared staff cadets as a result. The feedback received at TACSTC on the updated courses has been largely favourable from both staff and cadets.

Even at the sqn level programme, the air side has experienced the least amount of change in content, and the added flexibility likely outweighs most of the challenges in delivering the new programe.

The sea and army programs have seen more radical change, and it will take some getting used to.
    D.A. Wright
    Maj
    Plans O
    RCSU Central
    Do, or do not, there is no try -Yoda

4. The Following User Likes This Post By DA Wright :

Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DA Wright View Post
    For summer training on the air side, you are right. There has not been a huge amount of change, just an updating of content and some redistribution of lengths of courses and sequencing/pre-requisites. While LCIC is not identical to SLC, many of the same objectives will be achieved through different methodology, and I think we will have better prepared staff cadets as a result. The feedback received at TACSTC on the updated courses has been largely favourable from both staff and cadets.
    That was actually the very course I had in mind sir It seems many of the 'SLC die-hards' are pretty upset by the phasing out of the course, however I think it will have many good things coming along with the change.

Many of the SLC Alumni are afraid the LCIC not being to the same standard as SLC once was, however I think that task will fall to the hands of the staff cadets/officers for the course over the first couple of years of the course. The quote 'SLC is what you make it' will certainly carry through to this new course.

The sea and army programs have seen more radical change, and it will take some getting used to.
    I haven't been so aware of the changes within the other programs, is there a specific place I can go to check those out or can you PM me some of the details?

Best New Member - 2009 KChu is on a distinguished road KChu's Avatar
    Yes, indeed. The Army side has alot of changes in terms of how courses are called and the content aswell. But the general outline stays somewhat the same.

I'm sure as we progress to more of the 'expedition' side, many more things will be changed. As for cadets, I've been hearing mixed voices. Generally, the seniors of our corp still likes the old courses and the junior cadets are most in favour to new courses.

Maybe it is just the transition that is being the devil.

To see Summer Training Courses: http://www.cadets.ca/content-contenu.aspx?id=48663
    canada Kelvin Chu

7. The Following User Likes This Post By KChu :

well for sea when it comes to course changes there has been alot changed. there used to be 4 trades and the three levels of each course were TGI TGII and TGIII. That system is basically being tossed out the window. Gunnery and Boatswain are being phassed out and the trade group system is being eliminated along with gunnery and boatswain after this summer. I was lucky enough to get accepted into TGI gunnery during the last year that stage of the course was available. From what i've seen the new courses that are replacing gunnery and boatswain such as leadership, sports and fitness, seamanship etc. lack the standards that were set by the old trades and it pains me and the rest of the people who were in my division to see such low standard courses replacing our trades

Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    well for sea when it comes to course changes there has been alot changed. there used to be 4 trades and the three levels of each course were TGI TGII and TGIII. That system is basically being tossed out the window. Gunnery and Boatswain are being phassed out and the trade group system is being eliminated along with gunnery and boatswain after this summer. I was lucky enough to get accepted into TGI gunnery during the last year that stage of the course was available. From what i've seen the new courses that are replacing gunnery and boatswain such as leadership, sports and fitness, seamanship etc. lack the standards that were set by the old trades and it pains me and the rest of the people who were in my division to see such low standard courses replacing our trades
    Basic Drill and Ceremonial is almost identical to Gunnery TGI and II. I took those courses back in 2004 as a cadet and then taught them as an Officer in 2010 as a break from RegF training. While I still so no reason to get rid of all the traditions and badges, and the feeling of "family" that the trade group provided, the actual training varies very little. In fact, to a certain extent Basic Drill and Ceremonial cadets learn MORE "GUNNERY" than I did as a TG1 Gunner.

I con't comment with any expertise on the Boatswain Program, but I am very excited to see the CBM and Ships Driver courses roll out.

If anything I would ask, how much money was wasted to copy paste the Gunnery TG1 QSP, with elements from the Phase III LHQ training together into the new format?

Taking a step outside my boundrys here, I never really did agree with the TG system for Sea Cadets. It always seemed to limit their freedom when it came to their decisions for summer training. I think it's a good thing for a cadet to be able to do say a course or two of gunnery and then decide they want to do sailing, without being in a 2 week course with people much younger then they. However, thats just my opinions from what I've seen from the outside, maybe this was all possible before

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Travis Buckle :

Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Buckle View Post
    Taking a step outside my boundrys here, I never really did agree with the TG system for Sea Cadets. It always seemed to limit their freedom when it came to their decisions for summer training. I think it's a good thing for a cadet to be able to do say a course or two of gunnery and then decide they want to do sailing, without being in a 2 week course with people much younger then they. However, thats just my opinions from what I've seen from the outside, maybe this was all possible before
    Trade switching wasen't unheard of in the old program, just harder. especily when it came to the Bos'n and gunnery trades. going to another trade usualy involved catching up with course material from previous trade groups, such as obtaining your bronze 4 before camp for sailors. this became almost impossible at the TG3 level, especily with Bos'n, where quite a few of the pre-requisites are almost impossible to get at LHQ level, and don't exist civyside

The new program removes a lot of this, making it easy to jump around. they aren't going to assume someone going into Chief Bos'n mate has all the SCOP levels, and the training is self contained
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

CWO Russell is on a distinguished road CWO Russell's Avatar
    I am in complete whole-hearted agreement with the training made to the CSTC system for the Army side.

In the previous program, unless you were a Marksmen or Bandie every cadet was to do the same two courses their first two years at a CSTC. BAC and CL. The new CSTC program allows for cadets to specialize into something as early as their second year attending a CSTC.

However. I was a Platoon WO on the Basic Leadership course at Argonaut in 2010. In my personal opinion, that one particular course is in need of more oppurtunities for cadets to apply their skills practically, instead of theoretically. I'm aware we can't simply remove the theoretical side of the course, but its very unbalanced with Theory versus Practicalilty.

And those observations are based on how the course was designed on paper, and how it was meant to be taught, not simply any officer/SnrNCO deciding to teach the course differently than intended.
    Andrew Russell
    2945 Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps
    Former Regimental Sergeant Major/Newfoundland Detatchment Sergeant Major
    lsmrclcme

The Army Cadet side of things is very different from when I took it. I took the old course, starting in Cadet Leadership instead of basic and worked my way up from there. In the old army cadet camp program it all started with Basic Training and that is where you would start your "trades", the ones available were (Basic Marksmen, Basic Band, Basic Pipes and Drums, all 3 weeks, and just the standard 2 week Basic Course)

afterwords you would carry on with Cadet Leadership (CL Marksmen, CL P&D, CL Band, and the standard CL course, all were 6 weeks)

Next would be you're Cadet Leadership Instructor where you would more or less specialize in one course (CLI Drill and Ceremonial, CLI Rifle Coach, CLI Marksmen, CLI Band, CLI P&D, CLI Adventure, CLI Physical Educational Recreational Training, they discontinued CLI Pioneer, and storesmen a couple years before I joined, these were all 6 weeks)

You would have the option in your 4th or 5th(some would do a second CLI) camp year to do Advanced training, such as staffing, Leadership and Challenge, various exchanges, and the basic parachutist course. They would vary from 4-8 weeks.

With the new program here's the basic breakdown;

EVERYONE will start in General Training (2 weeks)

Next summer, your new Basic Courses (Basic Expedition, Leadership, Marksmen, and fitness and sports) all 3 weeks

Summer 2 Your Leader Intructor(LI Expedition, Leadership and challenge, Marksmen, Rifle Coach, fitness and sports) all 6 weeks, these courses will roll out in Vernon this summer for the first time.

They're talking about adding a possible 4th set of more advanced training before staffing but I'm not sure on that until they roll it out after I age out.
    Former Chief Warrant Officer Dubois
    1955 Service Battalion
    Calgary Alberta