+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You can only skip GT is you were 13 prior to December 31, 2010. If you were still 12 as of New Year's Eve, then you have to apply for GT, as per CATO 31-03, Annex C.

Since you'll likely be doing GT this summer, that's a decision you'll have to come to on your own. Although the nice part is, with this new system, you have a lot more flexibility, so if you take a course and you don't like it, you can hop into a different field the next summer.

JB
    Oh ok thanks! Next year im thinking of going to Leadership.

My first summer back in 2006, (wow, seems so long ago now!) I took GT at HMCS Ontario... I took it because it was all I was old enough for, and the officers of my Corps at the time filled it all in for me, and my parents just had to sign it.

GT actually helped me a lot though, it was my first time away from camp for that long, and I got pretty homesick. It helped my open my eyes as well, because the June just before I went sailing and I loved it, but at that time, it was on a pretty tiny lake where I lived. I decided after that, to plan on applying for TG1 sail the following year. When I got to camp, and I was about to go out sailing, I just didn't like Lake Ontario for sailing.. I don't know what it was about it, it just turned me off of sailing on it. After that, I decided no way am I applying for Sail.

Also on GT, we got a day to go out on the tallship and the whalers, and I loved it, absolutely no complaints. After camp, once the new training year began I was kind of sitting on what I was going to apply for. When the time came around to apply again, I decided to put TG1 Boatswain, TG1 Boatswain, and TG1 Music... (Music was kinda iffy because I didn't know an instrument) but I ended up getting accepted to 3 week TG1 Music, and I actually did not get homesick once, at all! I didn't know an instument or anything about music really, but when I left, I knew a bit. Do I wish I went to boatswain? Yes, more then anything, BUT, I learned other cool stuff, and when I got back home, I began high school and started taking a music course, and learned even more, so it actually led me onto future things with music (I don't take music at school now because of other courses taking over) but it was fun.

The following year, I was planning to apply for TG1 Boatswain once again, and I applied TG1 Boatswain, TG1 Boatswain and TG2 Music, but then I transferred to Air Cadets and it ended taking the Boatswain course, but began taking leadership courses.

Personally, I would definitely suggest GT, it helped me view my options, as well as open my eyes!

Good luck GT is a good experience
    CV Vanessa Dickson, MWO (Retired)
    If one person can inspire many, imagine what 7000 can do.
    rclcmeaircsm1

3. The Following User Likes This Post By luvin-cadets :

You're welcome Haha.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

michalex is on a distinguished road michalex's Avatar
    I had an opportunity to skip GT and do TG1 Band. I chose to do GT and I do not regret it at all. If it were not for GT I would have never of been in Gunnery. Which is truly my favorite thing.
    CPO1 Michaela Alexanderlsmrclcmescsm
    #194 RCSCC Calypso
    Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same
    HMCS ACADIA STAFF 2011

6. The Following User Likes This Post By michalex :

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Jackson View Post
    That used to be the case with the old trade system. now its structured similarly to the other elements and cadets are free to jump around if they find out a course isen't to their taste. That being said, jumping to a new course will put you behind a cadet with a previous course more in line with the next level.

A basic sailor would have a harder time getting into Inter-band than a basic musician, for example
    No course is a pre-req for another course. Taking one course should not give you an advantage to being loaded onto another course. If a cadet has the required knowledge to enter a course, they should be treated the same as anyone else regardless of any training.

A cadet could take Intermediate Musician without taking Basic Musician; there is no knowledge from Basic Musician that a cadet taking Intermediate musician is dependent on. That being said, a cadet must be able to perform at a Music Proficiency Level Basic level. The only other instance where there is this type of pre-req is for sail. These are both SKILL requirement and there is no need for a cadet to gain this skill from summer training, let alone the cadet program.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) R. Molitor View Post
    No course is a pre-req for another course. Taking one course should not give you an advantage to being loaded onto another course. If a cadet has the required knowledge to enter a course, they should be treated the same as anyone else regardless of any training.

A cadet could take Intermediate Musician without taking Basic Musician; there is no knowledge from Basic Musician that a cadet taking Intermediate musician is dependent on. That being said, a cadet must be able to perform at a Music Proficiency Level Basic level. The only other instance where there is this type of pre-req is for sail. These are both SKILL requirement and there is no need for a cadet to gain this skill from summer training, let alone the cadet program.
    I was simply relaying what my officers told us, Sir. I diden't mean to come across as suggesting there were prerequisite courses, there aren't anymore. I was trying to say exactly what you said, in that a cadet needs to be able to preform to the level of the course to be considered beside another cadet.
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

I believe that you should check out GT. This course gives you some information about each of the new trades, and it gives you a cute little badge that you can wear. We always call the GTs the cute ones.

My first summer was back in '07. I was a phase one of 12 years, and I didn't head off to GT. I was too late to send in my application for camp. The following summer, I took my TG1 Boatswain. I had read through the old phanse manuals for Phase one to learn about each trade. I marked off in the book what I wanted to do.
    At first, I wanted to be a musician. After, I realized I wasn't fit for it. After a re-read of the books, I found out that what interested me the most was the boatswain trade, and so I went with it. That sent me to HMCS Ontario. The summer of '08 sent me to HMCS Quadra for my TG2 year. This year, I have sent in my application to HMCS Acadia and HMCS Quadra for my TG3 year.
    As a boatswain, I feel that we are a pretty useful trade. We tie knots, and learn about operating a larger boat. We practice our skills in both over the summer. When you get to your TG2 year, you have the chance to get your boating license, first aid and your very high frequency (VHF) license.

What ever course you pick, make sure you ask about it from other people around you, and people at your core
    PO1 Stephanie Docs
    33 RCSCC St. Lawrence
    {Former} 42 RCSCC Vindictive

TG1 Boatswain HMCS Ontario '08
    TG2 Boatswain HMCS Quadra '09

10. The Following User Likes This Post By furby4537568 :