+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1

    A Few Questions About Camp? :)

    1.So last year i joined sea cadets and i wasn't sent to camp (GT), anyways on saturday we were filling out our applications for camp this summer, i was 12 That day (My birthday was the next day,Sunday, so I'm 13 now) I heard that if you were 13 you could skip GT but they said i couldn't because i was still 12 even though my birthday was the next day. Is there anything i could do about this? I'm a leading seaman if that helps!

    2. Which summer course is the funnest? All my friends are doing sailing and want me to do it with them but that's not really my thing, last time i sailed i threw up...twice (I still got my white sail one! ) But i think if i go for sail il come over my fear. I really wanted to do gunnery but its not a trade anymore :/ so what trade is the funnest in your opinion?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Hey there!
    To answer your question, if you're going to be thirteen this coming summer, it's usually recommended that you go to GT, because when you do decide what trade you want to take up, if you start too early, you'll finish too early and then if you're interested in staff, you'll have to wait until you're 16, or at least that's what my corps enforces on us. And as for which trade is the most enjoyable, it's kind of a difficult question to answer because different trades interest different people. You can go to GT this summer and it'll give you an idea of what each course is like, and then you can try to make a decision based on that!
    Hope this helps a little bit
    сρо¹ selasie doe-demosse;♫♥ rclcmescsm
    coxswain of rcscc 244 harwood .
    music is my beach house, music is my hometown, music is my king size bed, music's where I meet my friends .♫

  3. #3
    Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,135
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    I would reccomend you start with GT and go from there. only you can deside what course you want to take. the plus side of the new system, and something you can take full advantage of is the fact that courses are no longer a progression. You could do basic sail, and then next year an intermediate course and so on.

    My personal reccomendation, Basic Seamanship --> Ships Boat Operator --> Chief Bos'ns mate
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

  4. #4
    Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Cold Lake, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    1.So last year i joined sea cadets and i wasn't sent to camp (GT), anyways on saturday we were filling out our applications for camp this summer, i was 12 That day (My birthday was the next day,Sunday, so I'm 13 now) I heard that if you were 13 you could skip GT but they said i couldn't because i was still 12 even though my birthday was the next day. Is there anything i could do about this? I'm a leading seaman if that helps!

    2. Which summer course is the funnest? All my friends are doing sailing and want me to do it with them but that's not really my thing, last time i sailed i threw up...twice (I still got my white sail one! ) But i think if i go for sail il come over my fear. I really wanted to do gunnery but its not a trade anymore :/ so what trade is the funnest in your opinion?

    thanks
    If you aren't sure which course will be the funnest, GT is exactly where you want to start. Within the GT program you will get to experience a bit of all the courses offered and therefore make your own decision with first hand experience. Because you are born in January, you still have 4 more summers until you are eligible to become a staff cadet. So by taking GT you aren't "losing" out on staff years.

    If you're intentions are 100% on taking a Basic course. I do highly recommend Basic Sail. However, looking at your post you might have a difficult time. If I had been part of the new program, and not been a sailor. I would have gone with Basic Fitness and Sports.
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    1.So last year i joined sea cadets and i wasn't sent to camp (GT), anyways on saturday we were filling out our applications for camp this summer, i was 12 That day (My birthday was the next day,Sunday, so I'm 13 now) I heard that if you were 13 you could skip GT but they said i couldn't because i was still 12 even though my birthday was the next day. Is there anything i could do about this? I'm a leading seaman if that helps!

    2. Which summer course is the funnest? All my friends are doing sailing and want me to do it with them but that's not really my thing, last time i sailed i threw up...twice (I still got my white sail one! ) But i think if i go for sail il come over my fear. I really wanted to do gunnery but its not a trade anymore :/ so what trade is the funnest in your opinion?

    thanks
    You can only skip GT is you were 13 prior to December 31, 2010. If you were still 12 as of New Year's Eve, then you have to apply for GT, as per CATO 31-03, Annex C.

    Since you'll likely be doing GT this summer, that's a decision you'll have to come to on your own. Although the nice part is, with this new system, you have a lot more flexibility, so if you take a course and you don't like it, you can hop into a different field the next summer.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  6. #6
    Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Posts
    595
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You can only skip GT is you were 13 prior to December 31, 2010. If you were still 12 as of New Year's Eve, then you have to apply for GT, as per CATO 31-03, Annex C.

    Since you'll likely be doing GT this summer, that's a decision you'll have to come to on your own. Although the nice part is, with this new system, you have a lot more flexibility, so if you take a course and you don't like it, you can hop into a different field the next summer.

    JB
    What areas are covered in the Sea Cadet GT?
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

  7. #7
    Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004
    Location
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    Posts
    5,061
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    1.So last year i joined sea cadets and i wasn't sent to camp (GT), anyways on saturday we were filling out our applications for camp this summer, i was 12 That day (My birthday was the next day,Sunday, so I'm 13 now) I heard that if you were 13 you could skip GT but they said i couldn't because i was still 12 even though my birthday was the next day. Is there anything i could do about this? I'm a leading seaman if that helps!

    2. Which summer course is the funnest? All my friends are doing sailing and want me to do it with them but that's not really my thing, last time i sailed i threw up...twice (I still got my white sail one! ) But i think if i go for sail il come over my fear. I really wanted to do gunnery but its not a trade anymore :/ so what trade is the funnest in your opinion?

    thanks
    I'm not going to try and blade you via the internet:

    Apply for what you want - the worst thing that will happen is that you get sent to GT instead.

    I was a Sea Cadet at one time (oops) and applied for staff two separate years, and a course one year at Army Cadet Summer Training Centers (Blackdown for course and Connaught for staff), and you know what? I was selected for the course the one time I applied, and for staff the two other times.

    Don't let people who will not be making the actual selections tell you "no".
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    I'm not going to try and blade you via the internet:

    Apply for what you want - the worst thing that will happen is that you get sent to GT instead.

    I was a Sea Cadet at one time (oops) and applied for staff two separate years, and a course one year at Army Cadet Summer Training Centers (Blackdown for course and Connaught for staff), and you know what? I was selected for the course the one time I applied, and for staff the two other times.

    Don't let people who will not be making the actual selections tell you "no".
    You advice is actually a case of blading. If this cadet takes your advice and "applies for what they want" instead of what they are actually eligible to attend, their application will be held and may cause them to miss being selected altogether.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

  9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By J-P Johnson :


  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    You advice is actually a case of blading. If this cadet takes your advice and "applies for what they want" instead of what they are actually eligible to attend, their application will be held and may cause them to miss being selected altogether.
    Especially with the new system. It is set up to only move forward those applications that meet the specified requirements.

    And contrary to Flashman's statement, the worst that will happen is that you will not be selected for anything should you simply apply for what you want instead of what you are eligible for as per CATO 31-03. Talk to your unit's Officers - they will guide you in the application process.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    What areas are covered in the Sea Cadet GT?
    It's an introduction to the various summer training options that cadets have in front of them in order to help them make a choice about what Basic skills course they would like to apply for the following summer.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  12. #11
    Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Posts
    595
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It's an introduction to the various summer training options that cadets have in front of them in order to help them make a choice about what Basic skills course they would like to apply for the following summer.

    JB
    I know that. I've done the Army Cadet version. We did a little bit of band, marksman, field training, biathlon/shooting and orienteering. How much of the Sea Cadet program is actually introduced to the GT cadets?
    I'm just wondering how much they actually get to try some of the stuff like sailing because in the Army Cadet GT, the only introduction to fieldcraft is a day and a half FTX, which is a pretty weak way to introduce them to the Expedition courses, IMO.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

  13. #12
    Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,135
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    I know that. I've done the Army Cadet version. We did a little bit of band, marksman, field training, biathlon/shooting and orienteering. How much of the Sea Cadet program is actually introduced to the GT cadets?
    I'm just wondering how much they actually get to try some of the stuff like sailing because in the Army Cadet GT, the only introduction to fieldcraft is a day and a half FTX, which is a pretty weak way to introduce them to the Expedition courses, IMO.
    The different elements all present GT in a similer manner, abit with the obvious elemental diferences. Sea Cadets do a little Band, sail, Basic Leadership *similer to Field training and orienteering*, a bit of seamanship and a bit of sports and fitness. the course is only two weeks, but they'll spend a day or two on any one subject
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

  14. #13
    Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Posts
    595
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Jackson View Post
    The different elements all present GT in a similer manner, abit with the obvious elemental diferences. Sea Cadets do a little Band, sail, Basic Leadership *similer to Field training and orienteering*, a bit of seamanship and a bit of sports and fitness. the course is only two weeks, but they'll spend a day or two on any one subject
    My view of the GT course might be a little skewed because we spent an hour or two on most subjects when I did it and didn't do any of them enough to learn much. But IMO, the specialty that a cadet goes into will most likely be decided by LHQ activities rather than a quick glimpse at GT.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

  15. #14
    Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004
    Location
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    Posts
    5,061
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    You advice is actually a case of blading. If this cadet takes your advice and "applies for what they want" instead of what they are actually eligible to attend, their application will be held and may cause them to miss being selected altogether.
    You're right JP, my experience with three applications at two different CSTCs over two summers as both Staff and Course Cadet must have been a complete fluke.
    Last edited by Flashman; 26th January 2011 at 17:25.

  16. #15
    g.landonbrowne is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    1,246
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    2
    Do sea cadets chose a profession and pursue that course throughout their cadet career, how does it all work

  17. #16
    Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,135
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by g.landonbrowne View Post
    Do sea cadets chose a profession and pursue that course throughout their cadet career, how does it all work
    That used to be the case with the old trade system. now its structured similarly to the other elements and cadets are free to jump around if they find out a course isen't to their taste. That being said, jumping to a new course will put you behind a cadet with a previous course more in line with the next level.

    A basic sailor would have a harder time getting into Inter-band than a basic musician, for example
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

  18. #17
    g.landonbrowne is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    1,246
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thats kind of how the air cadet system works, so it really depends on what introductory courses an individual has under their belt, and after that they pursue any given profession? In air, its not mandatory, but it looks good on an application, and it also gives cadets a background knowledge in whatever course they wish to attend.

  19. #18
    Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,135
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by g.landonbrowne View Post
    Thats kind of how the air cadet system works, so it really depends on what introductory courses an individual has under their belt, and after that they pursue any given profession? In air, its not mandatory, but it looks good on an application, and it also gives cadets a background knowledge in whatever course they wish to attend.
    They can swap around at any time, someone could go to the intermediate course, Ships boat operator and go to D&C instructor next year
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

  20. The Following User Likes This Post By Teh_Jackson :


  21. #19
    g.landonbrowne is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    1,246
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    2
    Makes a lot more sense now

  22. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    You're right JP, my experience with three applications at two different CSTCs over two summers as both Staff and Course Cadet must have been a complete fluke.
    The summer training program has changed since you were a cadet. J-P and Juice are more knowledgable than you when it comes to the current program.


    Banning IP Addresses - one spammer at a time

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts