+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cadet bagpipes

Question cadet bagpipes

hi, i have yet ANOTHER question,

i am a green star and i would like to play the bagpipes for my core. not to sound greedy or anything but my father says i can get paid. what kind of commitment is this? do i get a piper badge or something. how long will it take for me to get the hang of this?

thanks.
    MCPL. "FISH"

canada

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for an instrument to play so that you can make some money or are you trying to "master" the GHB? Master is in quotes by the way as I only know of a few in Ontario who I would consider as such - Cairns A&J, Worroll B, McGillivery J to name a few- and they have collectively been playing for many, many years.

If you are new to the GHB consider finding a local band and attend a practice or two. If you get bit by the "bug" buy a practice chanter and a manual -the college of piping green book or Maj Archie Cairns' Learn to Play are both great - and find an instructor. After about a year on the practice chanter with regular practice and instruction you may be ready to play the pipes.

After a few years of practicing the mechanics (blowing, tuning and general mucking about ) and perfecting the tunes (memorizing, tone, expression and fingering) you may land a paying gig.

There are cadet qual badges for pipers as well but you will have to be tested to earn them.

There is no easy way to learn the pipes BUT you will have fun along the way. AND ask lots of questions.

Regards

H
    You are full of wonderful possibilities.The most painful regrets, those which never go away,are regrets of things not done, things never attempted.

3. The Following User Likes This Post By SLC86 :

Quote Originally Posted by SLC86 View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for an instrument to play so that you can make some money or are you trying to "master" the GHB? Master is in quotes by the way as I only know of a few in Ontario who I would consider as such - Cairns A&J, Worroll B, McGillivery J to name a few- and they have collectively been playing for many, many years.

If you are new to the GHB consider finding a local band and attend a practice or two. If you get bit by the "bug" buy a practice chanter and a manual -the college of piping green book or Maj Archie Cairns' Learn to Play are both great - and find an instructor. After about a year on the practice chanter with regular practice and instruction you may be ready to play the pipes.

After a few years of practicing the mechanics (blowing, tuning and general mucking about ) and perfecting the tunes (memorizing, tone, expression and fingering) you may land a paying gig.

There are cadet qual badges for pipers as well but you will have to be tested to earn them.

There is no easy way to learn the pipes BUT you will have fun along the way. AND ask lots of questions.

Regards

H
    Also, now is the time to think about possible applying for Basic Musician - P&D for this upcoming summer training. Great way to get started Everyone learns at different levels. It took me 6 months from starting on the chanter to playing my first tune on the pipes. My 10 year old son has been playing the snare drum in my band back home for a year now. Some have "it", some need to work at "it".

Learning the pipes is hard work and a serious commitment. I had to finally switch to drumming when I couldn't find the time. Not that drumming is easier, but to be a good piper, you need to be serious and focused.
    Lt(N) Nathan T. Brown, Sr. (Ret'd)
    gsm5cd para
    armycsm1

Quote Originally Posted by NatoBro View Post
    My 10 year old son has been playing the snare drum in my band back home for a year now. .
    Does he get mobbed by 10,11 and 12 year old girls when he is wearing his band kit? They probably all mistake him for a piper. All kidding aside - seriously why didnt anyone tell me about that when I was a teenager?

Cheers

H
    You are full of wonderful possibilities.The most painful regrets, those which never go away,are regrets of things not done, things never attempted.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC86 View Post
    Does he get mobbed by 10,11 and 12 year old girls when he is wearing his band kit? They probably all mistake him for a piper. All kidding aside - seriously why didnt anyone tell me about that when I was a teenager?

Actually it's adult women who mob him! And he's never mistaken for a piper.
    Lt(N) Nathan T. Brown, Sr. (Ret'd)
    gsm5cd para
    armycsm1