+ Reply to Thread

Army how do i get promoted?

hi everyone.

i am relatively new to cadets (about 1 1/2 months) and i was wondering how i would go about getting promoted to lance-corporal?

any and all info on the subject is appreciated (preferably in detail)
    MCPL. "FISH"

canada

Quote Originally Posted by 3016mac View Post
    hi everyone.

i am relatively new to cadets (about 1 1/2 months) and i was wondering how i would go about getting promoted to lance-corporal?

I would recommend looking here: CWwiki link (scroll down to the pictures of the rank badges)

The best thing to do is come out to everything and try your best.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Participation/Attendance are big factors.
    Join teams, and show your commitment. Not only will that come into consideration for promotions, it makes the program more fun =)
    WO1 Carlin Leung
    759 'Falcon' RCACS
    Basic '06 | IACE '10 | AH Staff '11

lsmaircsm

Quote Originally Posted by 3016mac View Post
    hi everyone.

For promotion to LCpl (LCpl), a cadet must:
    1. Have participated for a minimum of 5 months in Green Star level training;
    2. Maintain a satisfactory level of dress and deportment; and
    3. Be recommended by their Commanding Officer.

There is no "secret" to success. Have fun but work hard and it will pay off. Take advantage of everything the corps has to offer but take the initiative to study at home, practice your drill at home and show up every week with the best boots and uniform in the corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured Recce NB View Post
    For promotion to LCpl (LCpl), a cadet must:
    1. Have participated for a minimum of 5 months in Green Star level training;
    2. Maintain a satisfactory level of dress and deportment; and
    3. Be recommended by their Commanding Officer.

There is no "secret" to success. Have fun but work hard and it will pay off. Take advantage of everything the corps has to offer but take the initiative to study at home, practice your drill at home and show up every week with the best boots and uniform in the corps.
    While I'm very pleased that you took the initiative to advise this junior cadet, it is very, very important that we pass on correct information when speaking about regulations.

In addition, Commanding Officers do not make recommendations for promotion, they receive recommendations and use them to make their decisions.

There are actually only two explicitly stated criteria for promtion to LCpl.

CATO 13-02 (the cadet promotion regs) says this:
    a. promotion to Able Seaman (AB)/ Lance Corporal (LCpl)/Leading Air Cadet (LAC):

(1) participate in the first year of the phase / star / proficiency level training program for a minimum period of five months, and

(2) be recommended by the appropriate divisional officer/platoon commander/flight commander (corps/sqn);
    It goes on to define DivO/Pl Comd/Flt Comd as:
    Divisional Officer (DivO) / Platoon Commander (Pl Comd) / Flight Commander (Flt Comd) (Corps/Squadron) : any corps/sqn officer involved with leading and supervising cadets and delivering the cadet training program (note: this does not include the corps/sqn CO).
    One would probably be on safe ground saying that the maintenance of dress and deportment would be part and parcel of participation and getting the recommendation but one shouldn't add criteria that aren't explicitly mentioned in the Regs.

3016mac: You should check out the CWwiki. There is a whole lot of information contained in it that might answer a few of your questions.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By J-P Johnson :

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    While I'm very pleased that you took the initiative to advise this junior cadet, it is very, very important that we pass on correct information when speaking about regulations.

In addition, Commanding Officers do not make recommendations for promotion, they receive recommendations and use them to make their decisions.

There are actually only two explicitly stated criteria for promtion to LCpl.

CATO 13-02 (the cadet promotion regs) says this:

It goes on to define DivO/Pl Comd/Flt Comd as:

One would probably be on safe ground saying that the maintenance of dress and deportment would be part and parcel of participation and getting the recommendation but one shouldn't add criteria that aren't explicitly mentioned in the Regs.

3016mac: You should check out the CWwiki. There is a whole lot of information contained in it that might answer a few of your questions.
    Thank you Sir. I did mispeak. I did not intend to confuse anyone regarding the Commanding Officer's role. That was an error on my part. As far as the extra criteria that I posted, I included that because the resource I used stated that. I will go directly to the CATO from now on.