+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the info on the Trades but that I'm still curious on what was taught on the Jr/Practical Leadership courses. I assumed it would have been something similar to the Air Cadet course ITLC (now the tri-service BLC) but I was also told it was essentially the Survival Instructors course where you were dropped off in the middle of nowhere and told to stay alive while staff went for a five-day Timmy's run.
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Ship's Coxswain
    RCSCC (33) ST LAWRENCE Kingston, ONT

aircsm

Are there any alternative to using starch when ironing a gunshirt?
    Naval Cadet Kelvin Wang
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.

Quote Originally Posted by PO Wang View Post
    Yep

Steam and elbow grease.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

That depends on the desired effect and your reasons for needing an alternative.
    James E. Cartwright cd
    Lieutenant(N)
    canada Only those willing to go too far can possibly find out just how far one can go. - TS Elliot
    fear no1sube

Haha. Let's say you don't have starch and you need to create that perfect crease.
    I don't really know of another way of creating a sharp crease on a gunshirt without stach :/
    Naval Cadet Kelvin Wang
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.

Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    Haha. Let's say you don't have starch and you need to create that perfect crease.
    I don't really know of another way of creating a sharp crease on a gunshirt without stach :/
    I usualy do this if i'm caught without starch.

1. Start with ironing the shirt dry, get it pressed well.
    2. Have a spraybottle of water, go over the shirt again once its sprayed damp
    3. Do one final go with steam in the iron
    4. For the crease, repeat the process on a lower heat and don't be afraid to use some pressure. go over each side several times.
    5. Profit! Its not gonna be as sharp as a typical gunshirt, but it should be acceptable
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

I hate to re-emphasize, but try steam and elbow grease.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Steam and elbow grease are the best solutions but what I do is take a piece of wax paper and put it between the iron and the clothing. The wax keeps the crease sharp once you have a crease in there from elbow grease. Last time I was ironing my pants, I used natural soy wax paper and the wax was completely gone when I took the iron off and the creases felt like there was a wire keeping them there.
    I don't know how well this work for a gunshirt though because if you do it enough, the wax can become noticeable.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

When wearing work dress (C-3's) are cadets suppose to wear the issued dress pants (for the C-1/C-2 uniforms) or are they suppose to be issued a different set of pants of a different pattern and material (similar to the ones in the CF)?
    Ship's Coxswain

aircsm

Quote Originally Posted by Attwells, J View Post
    When wearing work dress (C-3's) are cadets suppose to wear the issued dress pants (for the C-1/C-2 uniforms) or are they suppose to be issued a different set of pants of a different pattern and material (similar to the ones in the CF)?
    The current sea cadet trousers are the same pattern as the old navy base dress. The current NCD pants should not be worn with the postman blue work/base dress shirt.
    James E. Cartwright cd
    Lieutenant(N)
    canada Only those willing to go too far can possibly find out just how far one can go. - TS Elliot
    fear no1sube

Just putting this out there, but you can do pretty much everything using just steam. The trick is to add lots of pressure (and have an ironing cloth or else you'll burn or melt the material and that's bad).

For my gunshirt, I use purely steam and pressure. The crease still looks sharp (a bit of positioning is needed when putting it on, but it's still kept to a minimum) however it's not rigid so it's more comfortable and contrary to popular belief, the shape is retained at the end of the day and isn't much more worse than a starched gunshirt. I actually find it easier to maintain a steamed gunshirt rather than a starched one. With pants, steam works just as well as waxing or starching the insides.
    こんにちは!
    japan
    rclcme scsm

Punydman is on a distinguished road Punydman's Avatar
    This isn't exactly 100% sea cadet related, but I've always wondered why are ships/boats feminine?
    PO1 (rt'd) D. Kwok lsmrclcmescsm - RCSCC CALGARY onward
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist waits for it to change; and a realist adjusts the sails." -Anon

I've got one more question on C-3's regarding nametags.

CATO 35-01 Annex E says that C-3 is the "Same as C-2A, except that the Postman blue shirt shall be worn in lieu of the gunshirt and the black baseball cap shall be worn in lieu of the seaman's cap." and in a note for C-2A it says "No name tag shall be worn on the gunshirt." Yes it says "gunshirt" but it still says "same as" and it also doesn't say that nametags are optional/at the discretion of the CO.

Is the nametag officially authorized be worn on the Postman blue shirt?
    Ship's Coxswain

aircsm

Quote Originally Posted by Attwells, J View Post
    I've got one more question on C-3's regarding nametags.

CATO 35-01 Annex E says that C-3 is the "Same as C-2A, except that the Postman blue shirt shall be worn in lieu of the gunshirt and the black baseball cap shall be worn in lieu of the seaman's cap." and in a note for C-2A it says "No name tag shall be worn on the gunshirt." Yes it says "gunshirt" but it still says "same as" and it also doesn't say that nametags are optional/at the discretion of the CO.

Is the nametag officially authorized be worn on the Postman blue shirt?
    Good question, however in Annex F, Appendix 3 it illustrates the nametag being worn on C-3's, so it's authorized.
    こんにちは!
    japan
    rclcme scsm

Quote Originally Posted by Niteshifter View Post
    Good question, however in Annex F, Appendix 3 it illustrates the nametag being worn on C-3's, so it's authorized.
    Be careful with that assumption. Appendix 1 to Annex F shows the name tag worn in C1/C1A, but the written description at Annex F itself specifically mentions "Name tags shall not be worn."
    James E. Cartwright cd
    Lieutenant(N)
    fear no1sube

Quote Originally Posted by TLOD View Post
    Be careful with that assumption. Appendix 1 to Annex F shows the name tag worn in C1/C1A, but the written description at Annex F itself specifically mentions "Name tags shall not be worn."
    You're right . Luckily, there's an update with this CATO being written
    こんにちは!
    japan
    rclcme scsm

I'll believe it when I see it. I remember being asked to poll my officers and cadets at one point. All of the cadets that I would have polled (from Phase I to Phase "V") have all aged out now. Give you an indication as to when that happened.
    James E. Cartwright cd
    Lieutenant(N)
    fear no1sube

Gungod is on a distinguished road Gungod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLOD View Post
    Dammit, you beat me to it. I was actually in CATO's gathering that exact argument. You are going to have to give me time to get back to speed on here. Its been a long time lol
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M

Quote Originally Posted by Gungod View Post
    Dammit, you beat me to it. I was actually in CATO's gathering that exact argument. You are going to have to give me time to get back to speed on here. Its been a long time lol
    You've been away for too long. Welcome back
    James E. Cartwright cd
    Lieutenant(N)
    fear no1sube

Gungod is on a distinguished road Gungod's Avatar
    21FEB11 - Sea Cadet Clothing and Recognition Working Group, From their recommendations I'm sure we will see a change 'soon' thereafter.
    LCdr Martin Packer
    102 frase2sub
    GFLSFCM~HMWCSG
    A.F & A.M