+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94
  1. #1

    Exclamation Seamanship Deployments

    This came out just last Friday in Pac Region. Info below has been tailored for Pac Region, application dates and process may be different in your region. I'm not sure which other regions are participating. Speak to your Corps Staff to find out about and apply for this activity if you want to spend a week doing sea training in BC!


    ************************************************** ************

    SEA CADETS SEAMANSHIP DEPLOYMENTS - TY 2010-2011


    The Sea Cadets Seamanship Deployments (SCSD) for training year 2010-2011 will take place in British Columbia and will be hosted by RCSU Pacific. Overall coordination of the SCSDs will be ensured by D Cdts. The aim of these deployments is to provide a modern and relevant ship-borne experience for cadets to hone their skills at the corps. Trainees and staff will be split up in five (6) distinct training serials onboard three PCT ORCAs and the Tall ship Maple Leaf, as fol:

    a. serial 1 (2 ORCAs) : from 24 to 30 Oct 10 (not including travel dates);

    b. serial 2 (2 ORCAs) : from 20 to 26 Feb 11 (not including travel dates);

    c. serial 3 (2 ORCAs) : from 13 to 19 March 11 (not including travel dates);

    d. serial 4 (Maple Leaf) : from 13 to 17 March 11 (not including travel dates);

    e. serial 5 (Maple Leaf) : from 18 to 22 March 11 (not including travel dates); and

    f. serial 6 (Maple Leaf) : from 23 to 27 March 11 (not including travel dates).


    Over the 6 serials, a total of 141 trainees will be afforded the opportunity to sail from Victoria onboard PCT ORCA or the tall ship Maple Leaf.

    Pacific Region is scheduled for Serials 2, 3 and 6, dates as above.


    Cadets must be in Phase 3 or above to apply. Applications due in by 04 Oct 2010 for Pac Region, other Regions may vary. Pac Region applications should be on a CF51, signed by CO, and submitted in hard copy, fax or email to SO3 Sea Training (Lt(N) Cyr.)


    Staff cadets

    Staff Cadets will be required for the PCT's, including Cadet Engineer, Boatswain and Cook. Staff Cadets will not be paid for this activity.

    When filling staff cadet positions, preference will be given to those cadets who’ve completed at least one summer as a staff cadet at a CSTC.
    ************************************************** ************


    There is an official email out there with much more information, I have just copied and pasted the essentials. If you are interested, talk to your unit staff about it.


    KD
    Kevin C. Deck cd1
    Lt(N)
    RCSCC GRILSE canada bc
    Past CO - RCSCC MEDICINE HAT, RCSCC BICKNELL, RCSCC GRILSE

  2. #2
    SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    10
    I wish Army Cadets had some cool stuff like that
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
    I wish Army Cadets had some cool stuff like that
    Wouldn't the National and International Expeditions be along the same lines? A week or so of training specific to your element for selected Cadets.

    KD
    Kevin C. Deck cd1
    Lt(N)
    RCSCC GRILSE canada bc
    Past CO - RCSCC MEDICINE HAT, RCSCC BICKNELL, RCSCC GRILSE

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
    I wish Army Cadets had some cool stuff like that
    i know what u mean army cadets and air cadets dont get to act apon there element as much as sea cadets do for ex. sea cadets get to go on military vessels while army get to do field exercises but with no tanks and such


    aswell sir do u know when the exchange apps will be sent to the corps i was thinking of a deployment on the orca but then again i dont wana spend another few days on one it got kinda boring in tg3 but an international exchange would be great
    malm CPO2 Formosa malm
    bosn Chief Boatswains Mate bosn
    64 RCSCC Malaspina Powell River
    beat to quarters
    scsmrclcme

  5. #5
    SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) Deck View Post
    Wouldn't the National and International Expeditions be along the same lines? A week or so of training specific to your element for selected Cadets.

    KD
    Well....I suppose. Expeditions have VERY specific criteria usually only 20 get to go every year or so on each one. Often those selected have to come from an Adventure background and many don't fit that, like myself, who has a Drill & Ceremonial background in cadets.

    Expeditions are strictly, lets go in a canoe...lets...hike a mountain...lets...umm....eat and sleep?


    Sea Cadets get to go on the PCTs, which has some direct connections with the Navy, well...Army Cadets....we don't do anything with the Army...ever...except maybe see reservists around your Armoury (if you're in one)...

    We went on a tour ONCE of our Armoury with my corps' affiliated unit since I've been in Cadets.

    I have yet to meet an Army Cadet who's actually observed or seen stuff that their Affiliated Unit does, other than watching maybe YouTube videos.

    Maybe the only really Army thing that I really got to see/do was train with the C7 when I took CLI Drill & Ceremonial in '08 in Vernon.
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
    I have yet to meet an Army Cadet who's actually observed or seen stuff that their Affiliated Unit does, other than watching maybe YouTube videos.
    seeing that you are from richmond you have most likely gone to the PNE which has a large military display and u do get to sea what they do and explore some of there equipment but still you dont get to use it or do it with in cadets
    malm CPO2 Formosa malm
    bosn Chief Boatswains Mate bosn
    64 RCSCC Malaspina Powell River
    beat to quarters
    scsmrclcme

  7. #7
    SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Formosa View Post
    seeing that you are from richmond you have most likely gone to the PNE which has a large military display and u do get to sea what they do and explore some of there equipment but still you dont get to use it or do it with in cadets
    I've only gone ever gone to the PNE on my own time. There was a CF display at Canada Place on Canada Day. When I went there on my own time, I got to look at more military vehicles and touch more military equipment than I've ever done in 4 years in Cadets...and I was only there for an hour at each place...
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
    I've only gone ever gone to the PNE on my own time. There was a CF display at Canada Place on Canada Day. When I went there on my own time, I got to look at more military vehicles and touch more military equipment than I've ever done in 4 years in Cadets...and I was only there for an hour at each place...
    ah ya ic. there really should be more for the other elements and it will help keep intrest well class change be on soon again lol
    malm CPO2 Formosa malm
    bosn Chief Boatswains Mate bosn
    64 RCSCC Malaspina Powell River
    beat to quarters
    scsmrclcme

  9. #9
    SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Formosa View Post
    ah ya ic. there really should be more for the other elements and it will help keep intrest well class change be on soon again lol
    I'd say that the majority of army cadets that leave the program leave because they lose interest.

    Either because there's not enough "army" in it, or the selection process for many things is way to competitive and many just get fed up with not being selected for things time and time again.
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

  10. #10
    alright im going to stop flooding Lt Decks Thread. perhaps we can make one about this in the cadet chat forum i believe we could make a great discusion on this
    malm CPO2 Formosa malm
    bosn Chief Boatswains Mate bosn
    64 RCSCC Malaspina Powell River
    beat to quarters
    scsmrclcme

  11. #11
    SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Formosa View Post
    alright im going to stop flooding Lt Decks Thread. perhaps we can make one about this in the cadet chat forum i believe we could make a great discusion on this
    Ya, good point. This subject tends to get carried away.

    I now command that this thread return to it's original purpose
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

  12. #12
    As a note, there are many Army Cadet units that I know of that take part in some exercises with their Affilliated Units, giving them some of that direct connection with the CF. Although it's not something that happens everywhere, it happens enough to for me to feel comfortable saying that the Army Cadet program gets a decent amount of exposure to what the CF does.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  13. #13
    SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,330
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    As a note, there are many Army Cadet units that I know of that take part in some exercises with their Affilliated Units, giving them some of that direct connection with the CF. Although it's not something that happens everywhere, it happens enough to for me to feel comfortable saying that the Army Cadet program gets a decent amount of exposure to what the CF does.

    JB
    Ya, I've heard of some that do it also, just haven't actually met one either through here on CW or in person at camps and stuff like that.
    Perhaps it's not as common of a thing in PAC and PRA?

    However, I think we should let this thread go back to it's original purpose about the Seamanship Deployment
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

  14. #14
    Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Cold Lake, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    1
    So Pac Region cadets don't get the first serial?
    I age out before the 2nd serial.
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow3n View Post
    So Pac Region cadets don't get the first serial?
    I age out before the 2nd serial.
    Given that you've had the chance to do ASC twice and be a staff cadet for ASC once, I don't think you should be too upset about this one

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  16. #16
    Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Cold Lake, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    1
    Haha I'm not. I had my moment. Time to move on.

    For anybody else who is considering applying. Do it! One of the funnest weeks you'll ever have!
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

  17. #17
    Ryan. is on a distinguished road Ryan.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    683
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Given that you've had the chance to do ASC twice and be a staff cadet for ASC once, I don't think you should be too upset about this one

    JB
    Exactly. Be glad you got to go. I applied for 4 years and never got accepted once. :/
    Ryan Flemming
    Chief Petty Officer First Class (Ret'd)
    lsmrclcmescsm

  18. #18
    Lung is on a distinguished road Lung's Avatar
    Join Date
    2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    86
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sir, will there be any seamanship deployments to SALTS vessels this year? Also, any idea when us Prairie Region cadets get information?
    PTE Henry Lung
    canada 41 Service Battalion Calgary, Canadian Armed Forces

    rcsc Formerly of 335 RCSCC Calgary and 344 RCSCC Victoria rclcmescsm

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lung View Post
    Sir, will there be any seamanship deployments to SALTS vessels this year? Also, any idea when us Prairie Region cadets get information?


    You should review the ASC 2010 thread again to see how much it seemed Lt Hillsden enjoyed organizing that. All jokes aside though from what I can make out SALTS costs $4000 per 24hrs per vessel. My personal opinion would be that since PCTs are available (are dates are listed) that's what is happening.

    The MAPLE LEAF dates also seem to me that the chances of a second seperate email about SALTS coming out is slim to none. The title of this one seems to suggest that's it for this training year. Again, just what I'm reading from a neutral outside view.
    SLt P.C. Wise

    wales england canada ireland

  20. #20
    definetely applied for baotswain staff
    CPO1 Cox, D Ret,d
    Former Cox'n 344 Victoria,
    Calgary, AB
    Destitutus Ventis, Remos Adhibe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts