+ Reply to Thread

Army 2010/2011 Training Year

So the new training year has kicked off and a majority of you should have already had two parade nights. Hopefully you've picked up some new recruits and can keep them with you for the next few years!

As we go forward through this year what are your goals at your Corps? Most Army Cadets around here seem to be Senior NCO's so this is your chance to have a lot of positive influence and make sure your subordinates have the best experience they possibly can while enjoying themselves. When I was a senior Cadet my main push was always on getting Section Commanders as engaged as possible with their Cadets, and seeing the list of names as more than people they had to call.

And, do you have any personal ambitions as we enter a new year?

Personally I am in training mode until July 2011 so for me it is all about learning as much as I can, as quickly as I can!

Best of luck on a great training year!

Since I'm starting as a staff member with a new corp in a new city my goals for the training year are related to that.

Getting to know the cadets in the unit especially the newer recruits since the corp is growing quickly. And also using them to help me learn about the my new city.
    Adjust my mentality from a rural unit to an urban unit.
    And simply learn as much as I can. Part of what has brought me back is the constant learning that happens almost weekly at the corp.

Finally get into uniform.
    canada

Thumbs up Well, that thread died...

Just gonna post it anyways,
    My trg goals for the year include upping my fitness, to partake of the basic parachutist course this summer, and to merit the rank of RSM, seeing as how my corps is deciding that based on performance this year. I mean to get a level in bagpipes, and otherwise, concentrate on instruction, to better the corps. Oh, and lets not forget the national shooting competition. I intend to get there this year.
    What do I feel when shooting?
    Recoil.

I have a merit board coming up to see my eligibility to run the corps. Myself, and another C/WO will be doing the merit board and they'll choose one of us to be the SSM.

Since my corps has two other corps' in the same regiment, we only name one RSM for the entire regiment, so the corps all have their chain of command going SSM -> DSM.

If I don't get the position, then I'll be the DSM, and I personally wouldn't mind if I got that in place of SSM as I have every confidence that we would both be able to effectively run the corps (and perhaps later, the regiment). We also work together really well, so that's a bonus.

This training year should otherwise be interesting. This will be my first full training year with NSCE, so I'll be doing a lot of teaching.

I don't have any particular goals, other than making this year an amazing training year for the Cadets. I'd also like the smack the Cadet drill out of the corps and follow the 201 to the letter. Finally, I'd like the corps to retain the majority of the new recruits this year (we have so many new Green stars right now that we need two instructors for all of their lessons).
    Alex Crooks lsmanavetsarmycsm1
    C/MWO (Retired)

This is my first year in cadets, but for the last 8 weeks. I've been to I've been able to set myself a lot of goals. My main one is to get a silver in the fitness test at VACSTC.

Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman263 View Post
    This is my first year in cadets, but for the last 8 weeks. I've been to I've been able to set myself a lot of goals. My main one is to get a silver in the fitness test at VACSTC.
    This is entirely not right and shouldn't happen but some staff get lazy and mark the fitness test incorrectly. In my GT Summer, I should have gotten bronze because of my overall score but I got gold. Laziness FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy View Post
    This is entirely not right and shouldn't happen but some staff get lazy and mark the fitness test incorrectly. In my GT Summer, I should have gotten bronze because of my overall score but I got gold. Laziness FTW.
    On top of needing to achieve the minimum score on everything, you also need to get the minimum number of points.

Also, the first fitness test in the summer doesn't really matter -- the results from the last one are the only ones that count.

Finally, the fitness test has changed to (what I believe was) the Air Cadet Fitness Test, so the stations will be different. Check out CATO 14-18 for the information and standards on that.
    Alex Crooks lsmanavetsarmycsm1
    C/MWO (Retired)

With a new corp, 3005 11 Service Battalion, my third and probably the last cadet corp, Jumpd in as RSM, going on a massive recruiting year,

Goal: 70+ cadets for this years ACR,
    (Half way there already)
    C/Chief Warrant Officer D. Kim
    Regimental Sergeant Major
    3005 11 Service Battalion RCAC
    Once a Seaorth always a Seaforth