+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsiu View Post
    I agree. Most people only consider it copyright infringeing if you make profit off of it.
    Again, you should never assume anything. I really don't think the intent of giving CDs with the March Books on them to units is so that it can be distributed and disseminated as anyone sees fit. If that were the case, the March books would be available on the national website.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Eng is on a distinguished road Eng's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You should never assume anything.

JB
    True, “When you assume, you make an *** out of u and me.”

I'm going to meet up with my friend tomorrow as he has the CD and we can check for legal text.
    WoII Alan Eng
    778 Banshee RCACS
    "我不會說中文"

Quote Originally Posted by Eng View Post
    It's 85 MB so I'm gonna upload it to MediaFire and put the link here later.
    [Link Deleted by Mod]
    Hey, thanks for uploading it.
    I might have to print it off for a friend of mine. She might like getting a copy of it. It would make her day.
    Last edited by J-P Johnson; 7th October 2010 at 14:11.
    Air Cadet Collector
    Always looking for more people to trade with!

Exclamation

Someone having the drill manual (APD 201), in french , please ?
    ADJ2 / WO2
    ITCAC 2012, Pon 35, CIECAV
    LCIC/ CLIC 2011, CIECAB
    SIC/IES 2010 LANCASTER , CIECAB
    ITSC/IAS 2009 CANUCK , CIECAB (2nd intake)

Quote Originally Posted by GreyThunders View Post
    Someone having the drill manual (APD 201), in french , please ?
    Ummm, it's a bilingual document.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    Ummm, it's a bilingual document.
    Its possible to have this document in internet ?
    ADJ2 / WO2
    ITCAC 2012, Pon 35, CIECAV
    LCIC/ CLIC 2011, CIECAB
    SIC/IES 2010 LANCASTER , CIECAB
    ITSC/IAS 2009 CANUCK , CIECAB (2nd intake)

Quote Originally Posted by GreyThunders View Post
    Its possible to have this document in internet ?
    There are literally a couple of dozen posts on various forums linking to a copy. I recommend you start your search in the music & parade square forum.

I would like to point out that this March Books are not inline with current copyright in Canada. The were written without copyright being paid to the composers and publishers who own and have the rights to the music. Sharing it online IS illegal.

It does not matter if you make a profit or not... the important thing is that the person who spends their livelihood writing music was NOT paid for it and they are NOT making a profit on it.

I strongly suggest that the link to the file transfer be removed from this thread.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) R. Molitor View Post
    I would like to point out that this March Books are not inline with current copyright in Canada. The were written without copyright being paid to the composers and publishers who own and have the rights to the music. Sharing it online IS illegal.
    Can you quote the relevant law? And are you certain that the works in the march book are not in the public domain?

Is Star Wars in the public domain cuz it's in there. As too are the movie themes for Top Gun, The Battle of Britain and The Dambusters.

To name just a few.

I've temporarily removed the link until we determine if we should make it permanent.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Is Star Wars in the public domain cuz it's in there. As too are the movie themes for Top Gun, The Battle of Britain and The Dambusters.
    If I had to guess, I'd say that recent movie themes are probably not. But if we're going to lose sleep over copyright we should know for sure what the law does and doesn't allow in our particular circumstances, including the terms under which these works were included in the march book.

Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say that recent movie themes are probably not. But if we're going to lose sleep over copyright we should know for sure what the law does and doesn't allow in our particular circumstances, including the terms under which these works were included in the march book.
    True but whatever the terms granted to the CCM, I guarantee that they would not include the ability to freely distribute it outside the system to the general public.

Absolutely. And until we figure that out, the link to the music should be removed. When I was posting earlier, I never claimed to know what the law said WRT this music, but it's always best to err on the side of caution.
    True but whatever the terms granted to the CCM, I guarantee that they would not include the ability to freely distribute it outside the system to the general public.
    Which would probably explain why the march books aren't available on cadets.ca. If the intent was for free distribution, they would likely have made it onto the website. My gut tells me that the intent is that they be used by corps/squadrons for their purposes with their bands, but that the music is to stay within those units.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

The project was spearheaded my Pac Region many years ago. The were posted on the websites but had to be taken down because they were produced without consent for many of the pieces which do have copyright still on them.

http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis...pyright_ov.cfm

that is a good website that explains copyright.

On a side note, if you ask DCdts about the march book they may tell you that they are aware of it but will not provide a copy of it to anyone. In fact, when we wrote the new courses, we were directed to not reference the march books at all.

It was a good attempt to provide resources to corps and squadrons in the program but unfortunately it wasn't done in the right way. Maybe in the future they will look at doing it the right way, but it is very low on the priority list right now (IMHO).
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

No one is losing sleep. Relevant law:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-42/index.html

Preface: I am not a lawyer. I do however have experience with the copyright law due to over a dozen years in broadcasting and commercial post-production work where I dealt with using copyrighted material in our work, and also applying the copyright of our own work. I have also done a fair bit of research into the copyright act, privacy act, and other laws which are applicable to the management of a web forum.

CadetWorld does not have authorization from any relevant copyright holder to publicly distribute these works. I am pretty sure that the member who posted them here does not either.

The Sea and Army Cadet March Books were compiled by the Pac Region music department and some volunteers in Pac Region, and were published by D Cadets, however not as an official manual with a DND publication number on them. The Air Cadet March Book says nothing about who put it together or published it. Whether or not those parties addressed the relevant copyright issues are unknown to the management of CadetWorld.

The Canadian Cadet Organization felt that they have the sufficient authority to distribute the material internally, hence the march books were distributed to units upon request and may be available through non-public communication resources. It was expected and understood that members of the CCO would reproduce and internally distribute these works for educational and performance purposes. This does not give any member of the CCO the authority to put these up for full public distribution on the internet or distribute them outside the CCO.

CadetWorld is not part of the Canadian Cadet Organization. We are our own entity, a private website. No authorization has been granted to us by the owners of the original copyright to publicly post their sheet music, and no authorization has been granted to us by D Cadets to host manuals they have compiled. Just like we do not host the drill manual, or the QSP and IGs for the elements, or CATOs, we don't host the march books. We provide links to the official documents on Official sites where they are made available (case in point, the QSPs can be public, the IG's are not supposed to be.) If D Cadets authorizes us to host their manuals, we will do so. But we don't need to ask, because anything that is publicly available can be easily linked to.

If the march books are publicly hosted on an Official D Cadets website at the National or Regional level, we will allow a link to them. As far as I know they are not. As Lt(N) Molitor stated, Pac Region used to host them, but took them down. Some units may have them hosted on their own sites, but not every unit knows or understands the copyright law, so that is not a good determination of the legality of the practice.

So, the March books are out there, if you ask around internally or look in the right place, you may find a copy, but as Lt(N) Molitor stated, apparently it was recognized on some level that not every proper step was followed, so they have backed away from them officially.

KD
    Kevin C. Deck cd1
    Lt(N)
    RCSCC GRILSE canada bc
    Past CO - RCSCC MEDICINE HAT, RCSCC BICKNELL, RCSCC GRILSE

16. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Lt(N) Deck :

Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) Deck View Post
    We provide links to the official documents on Official sites where they are made available (case in point, the QSPs can be public, the IG's are not supposed to be.)
    On the Air side, Level 1 and 2 IGs are available on the Cadet website found here: http://www.cadets.ca/content-contenu.aspx?id=70876
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan
    Villeneuve Cadet Flying Site