+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air 7th Air Cadet Medal?

Ok, so the other day I was looking as the CATO's and I found a dress order which gives a reference to how to wear 7 medals. Last I checked there was only 6 medals which air cadets can wear. Does anyone have any idea of what this 7th medal could be. If I remember correctly it actually took precedence of the Cadet Medal of Bravery so it must be pretty important.

If I can find that CATO again I'll post the link so you can see what the ribbon looks like.
    Capt Derrick McKee
    Commanding Officer
    875 Antigonish Lions RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by AI09McKee View Post
    Ok, so the other day I was looking as the CATO's and I found a dress order which gives a reference to how to wear 7 medals. Last I checked there was only 6 medals which air cadets can wear. Does anyone have any idea of what this 7th medal could be. If I remember correctly it actually took precedence of the Cadet Medal of Bravery so it must be pretty important.

If I can find that CATO again I'll post the link so you can see what the ribbon looks like.
    Cadets can also receive and wear medals from the Canadian Honours and Awards system. Many cadets received a Canada 125 medal, for example.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    Cadets can also receive and wear medals from the Canadian Honours and Awards system. Many cadets received a Canada 125 medal, for example.
    Or the QGJM.
    James E. Cartwright cd
    Lieutenant(N)
    canada Only those willing to go too far can possibly find out just how far one can go. - TS Elliot
    fear no1sube

If I recall correctly, the medal show in the illustrated references is the QGJM. Since these are a part of the CF honours system, they all take precedence over any cadet medal.
    Nicholas Foran
    Captain

I wondered if it might have been in case of a cadet receiving a CF / Canadian Honors and Awards medal. I wasn't sure though so i figured I'd ask. If I can find the CATO again I"ll still post the link so people can still see the picture and someone can ID the medal, although OCdt Foran already has stated what he ht6inks it is, it'd be nice to know for sure. I'll go look for it now. Thanks again.

http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...x#CATO%2055-04

Here is the link, it's the very last link on that page. (CATO 55-04 Annex F) and then the picture I saw was on page F11 1/1 (It was illustrated references of wearing medals
    Last edited by AI09McKee; 10th April 2010 at 12:33. Reason: Added a link
    Capt Derrick McKee
    Commanding Officer

It's the Golden Jubilee Medal
    canada

Quote Originally Posted by colgate View Post
    It's the Golden Jubilee Medal
    OK, thank you!
    Capt Derrick McKee
    Commanding Officer

jjhp is on a distinguished road jjhp's Avatar
    I don't know why it's still in the CATOs considering the medal was handed out in 2002, which means anybody that received them as a cadet should have aged out by now.
    Jack Park rclcmeaircsm
    Warrant Officer 2nd Class
    Squadron Deputy Commander
    SB08 - HB09 - Staff09 - HB10 - IACE Australia 10
    583 Coronation RCAirCS canada

Quote Originally Posted by jjhp View Post
    I don't know why it's still in the CATOs considering the medal was handed out in 2002, which means anybody that received them as a cadet should have aged out by now.
    That medal is used as an example of one awarded from the Canadian Honours and Awards system, not to say that that is the ONLY medal that is worn in that placement.

Regardless of when that medal was awarded, or whether it will be awarded again, it is still a part of that system and can still be used as an example of it

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

As far as I know, serving in other elements counts towards the long service medal. So you could potentially get 7 medals if after recieving a long service medal from one element, you transfer to another.
    OCdt aircsm
    RMC Class of 2011-2014
    Armoured Officer
    818 Toronto Falcon Squadron
    Basic 2k5 ISLAC 2k6 ITSC 2k7 ITRCC 2k8 Power 2k9

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    As far as I know, serving in other elements counts towards the long service medal. So you could potentially get 7 medals if after recieving a long service medal from one element, you transfer to another.
    You are only allowed to wear one cadet service medal.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You are only allowed to wear one cadet service medal.

JB
    Thaks for clarification sir. But if you can only wear one service medal, why are all of them included in the order of precedence (CATO 13-16) pp. 6-7?
    OCdt aircsm
    RMC Class of 2011-2014
    Armoured Officer
    818 Toronto Falcon Squadron
    Basic 2k5 ISLAC 2k6 ITSC 2k7 ITRCC 2k8 Power 2k9

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Thaks for clarification sir. But if you can only wear one service medal, why are all of them included in the order of precedence (CATO 13-16) pp. 6-7?
    Because it's a tri-service document.
    Barrie Ontario

Fraserw is on a distinguished road
    Well the Canadian honours and awards can be presented to cadets. The medals how ever would go on the left side as they are "presented by the queen". Cadet medals will stay on the right side, so the seventh medal is still quite confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraserw View Post
    Well the Canadian honours and awards can be presented to cadets. The medals how ever would go on the left side as they are "presented by the queen". Cadet medals will stay on the right side, so the seventh medal is still quite confusing.
    On the date the OP was made (and the post you quoted) all cadet medals were worn on the left side, so the above comments are valid.

Since the change to right side for cadet medals, I can see the confusion now. I'd have to look in to what medals cadets can wear on the right.
    Captain Nicole Whiteway cd
    Former CO 292 RCACS

One example I can think of is if an Air Cadet had all six conventional medals (Bravery, Strath, RCLCME, AFA, ANAVETs, Service) and had permission to wear their Navy League Medal of Excellence from Navy League Cadets. I believe this is possible.
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan
    Villeneuve Cadet Flying Site

Quote Originally Posted by euphman395 View Post
    One example I can think of is if an Air Cadet had all six conventional medals (Bravery, Strath, RCLCME, AFA, ANAVETs, Service) and had permission to wear their Navy League Medal of Excellence from Navy League Cadets. I believe this is possible.
    I'm pretty sure the NLME is authorized for wear regardless of the current colour of your uniform.
    Naval Cadet Kelvin Wang
    RCSCC VANGUARD (Administration Officer)
    RCSCC ONTARIO (Former Coxswain)
    G.F.L.S.F.C.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Wang View Post
    I'm pretty sure the NLME is authorized for wear regardless of the current colour of your uniform.
    Do you have a reference for that?
    Barrie Ontario

DA Wright is on a distinguished road DA Wright's Avatar
    Do you have a reference for that?
    It has been auth for some time. Originally it was only if it was earned as a sea cadet, who subsequently transferred to air, but since circa 2004, it has been allowed for an air cadet who earned it as a NL cadet. I believe it is in the H&A CATO under the specific Annex for the NLME.
    D.A. Wright
    Maj
    Plans O
    RCSU Central
    Do, or do not, there is no try -Yoda

dhillon will become famous soon enough dhillon's Avatar
    CSTC WO1 for AHACSTC in 2004 Duncan Chan from 655 RCACS wore it. Not sure what year the above direction was given but that was my first time seeing it.

Capt B. S. (Bob) Dhillon
    Trg O - 2884 RCACC
    Former DCO of 105 RCACC