+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Dismissal Procedure

Hello, one of the NCO volunteers at my squadron has brought up a debate about the proper procedure for the command Dismiss. Since as far back as I can remember, its been a right turn, three paces and a halt. Then everyone goes their own way. How does everyone else do it/what is the proper way. The 201 doesn't provide any insight into this, nor the CATOs as far as we can tell.

Thanks!
    WO1 Boots
    gliderwings powerwings
    aircsm rclcme
    Glider '08, Power '09, APPS '10
    40 Snowbird RCACS

Actually it does...
    Quote Originally Posted by CFP201 2-24
    DISMISSING A SQUAD FAÇON DE ROMPRE LES RANGS
    101. The command DIS – MISS signifies the end
    of a parade, period of instruction, etc. The squad
    shall be in line and at attention when dismissed.

102. On the command DIS – MISS, squad
    members shall:

a. turn right; a. tourner vers la droite;
    b. observe the standard pause;
    c. salute, if an officer is on parade;
    d. observe the standard pause; and
    e. march off independently, in quick time, from
    the place of parade.
    There is no mention of a halt
    [LEFT]Second Lieutenant Jeffrey Ng
    2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

Platoon Commander
    Duty Above All

Quote Originally Posted by baloobot View Post
    Actually it does...

There is no mention of a halt
    Thank you for posting that, I don't have acces to my 201 right now. I've been trying to no avail to convince many people of this for a long time.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Anytime, the 201 on my computer and ctrl+f are my favourite weapons in the battle against ignorance

Platoon Commander
    Duty Above All

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By baloobot :

That is if you are on a parade square. What if you are not on a parade square?
    Catherine Carter
    Former Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    That is if you are on a parade square. What if you are not on a parade square?
    What the 201 says applies anywhere that one is doing drill, not merely when on the parade square.

JB

Where does one fall of to when there is no parade square?
    Catherine Carter
    Former Cadet

Where does one fall of to when there is no parade square?
    When one is dismissed from a squad, one does exactly as the blurb from the 201 says, regardless of where one is. Once the standard pause is observed after the right turn, one marches off indepently and goes wherever they please or wherever they have been directed to go.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here?

JB

Ok, thanks. But does the squad have to march a couple of paces forward before they disperse? What if someone has to go to the left of where they were facing before the dismissal, do they just wheel around into the people around them?
    WO1 Boots
    gliderwings powerwings
    aircsm rclcme
    Glider '08, Power '09, APPS '10
    40 Snowbird RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by PilotDave View Post
    Ok, thanks. But does the squad have to march a couple of paces forward before they disperse? What if someone has to go to the left of where they were facing before the dismissal, do they just wheel around into the people around them?
    I would hope that common sense would prevent someone from doing soemthing as stupid as that.

There's no need to complicate it. Once you're dismissed, you march away and carry on with your business.

JB

I think that is a matter of common sense, the squad would probably take measures against bumping into each other. If for some reason the squad is moving according to the 201 to the letter after dismissal, to turn around they would have to perform an about turn on the march (allowing somebody to avoid collision in that time) or complete a wheel travelling in a circle with radius 1.25 metres, also avoiding collision.

EDIT: oh man mindmeld sir :O, twin power!

Platoon Commander
    Duty Above All

I could not recall ever researching 201 on dismissal, so I was curious how things worked. Thank you Juice for the information.

I remember at end of the night my Corps would take three steps halt then yell the Corps name. All the other times we did what the 201 did.
    Catherine Carter
    Former Cadet

I could not recall ever researching 201 on dismissal, so I was curious how things worked. Thank you Juice for the information.

I remember at end of the night my Corps would take three steps halt then yell the Corps name. All the other times we did what the 201 did.
    ...cool? Halting just takes away time, and shouting out the corps name, while probably 'gung-ho' when everyone knew what to do, would be silly in all other circumstances.

Right turn...3 paces...carry on with whatever you need to do. It's simple.
    BDR SCHEER
    MT NCO, C Bty, 1 RCHA

Volunteering with 2520 RCACC 71 Bty
    "UBIQUE"

Quote Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
    Right turn...3 paces...carry on with whatever you need to do. It's simple.
    It is even more simple than that. As posted above per 201, you just march off. 3 paces is not required.
    powerwings
    Capt A. Oke
    -Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician-
    Ex WOI lsmaircsm1

What a boring thread. A drill question asked and correctly answered with basically no debate or appeal to corps "traditions".

I'm just going to add one more addendum to this conversation.

I see a lot of corps and squadrons have the cadets come to a halt as they reach the edge of the parade square as the enter or leave it. I'm not sure where this comes from but it doesn't exist the 201 either.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    What a boring thread. A drill question asked and correctly answered with basically no debate or appeal to corps "traditions".

I'm just going to add one more addendum to this conversation.

I see a lot of corps and squadrons have the cadets come to a halt as they reach the edge of the parade square as the enter or leave it. I'm not sure where this comes from but it doesn't exist the 201 either.
    EDIT: If I had to rationalize it, my guess would be that it's used to differentiate marching across a parade square & 'walking'.

For example;
    first year cadets walk across the parade square immediately after dismissal.
    SWO/Chief sees this and disciplines cadet, explaining that one marches across a parade square.
    Cadet asks for clarification of when they stop walking & when they start marching.
    SWO arbitrarily states to halt when transitioning on and off a parade square.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a habit adopted from parade sequences. When the Parade Commander & Parade 2IC approach the grounds from 'outside the square', it's typical for them to come to attention at the 'edge' of the square.
    Last edited by Andy; 11th December 2009 at 11:48.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My rationale is that it's used to differentiate marching across a parade square & 'walking'.

For example;
    first year cadets walk across the parade square immediately after dismissal.
    SWO/Chief sees this and disciplines cadet, explaining that one marches across a parade square.
    Cadet asks for clarification of when they stop walking & when they start marching.
    SWO arbitrarily states to halt when transitioning on and off a parade square.
    Has a first-year cadet actually ever asked that question or is that a solution in search of a problem? The second the first foot hits the parade square, you are marching. The second your last foot is off the parade square when leaving, you're not. It is not unlike the transition from quick march to march at-ease and back.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a habit adopted from parade sequences. When the Parade Commander & Parade 2IC approach the grounds from 'outside the square', it's typical for them to come to attention at the 'edge' of the square.
    Typical, perhaps but would it be correct for them to do so? As those who are filling "officer" appointments, they are supposed to be promenading until they are needed. Again, the transition from promenading to quick march is not unlike the transition from marching at-ease to marching at attention. If your corps or sqn doesn't have the Comd and DComd promenading, they should be standing at ease at the edge of the parade ground. They come to attention before they step off. They don't interrupt their progress by halting in the middle of their journey.

Let me tell you what the practical or, rather, impractical upshot of this practice is. There is a squadron I've seen that parades nearly 200 cadets that uses a triple-gym as their parade square. There is one entrance they use and every single one of them halts at the doorway going on and going off. Do you have any idea how much time that wastes?
    Barrie Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    As those who are filling "officer" appointments, they are supposed to be promenading until they are needed. Again, the transition from promenading to quick march is not unlike the transition from marching at-ease to marching at attention. If your corps or sqn doesn't have the Comd and DComd promenading, they should be standing at ease at the edge of the parade ground. They come to attention before they step off. They don't interrupt their progress by halting in the middle of their journey.
    True, but if they were paying attention, they should have ceased promenading and taken up a position of at ease by the time they are called to fall in.
    2Lt McInnes, Admin O
    2834 RCACC (Artillery)
    Yorkton, SK, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jabrwock View Post
    True, but if they were paying attention, they should have ceased promenading and taken up a position of at ease by the time they are called to fall in.
    Yes, true. But that fact dispels any notion that the Comd and DComd are marching on from outside the parade square necessitating a halt as some kind of a transition between "walking" and "marching".
    Barrie Ontario

I've seen the two "combined" as a way of "clearing one's throat" when the RSM is ready to march on and take over. He ceases promenading with a bit of a forceful halt, then skips the "stand at ease" and just straight marches onto the parade square to take command. The equivalent of "tapping the watch, spin finger". This is because normally if things are going on schedule, he's standing by the edge of the parade square anyway at ease, and so comes to attention before marching on.

Might be relevant, but when called to "FORM UP", everyone is supposed to assume the position of attention first, observe the standard pause, and then march into position. There may be some confusion between this and marching onto the parade square.

I've never understood the halting as you march off though, unless it's some kind of "doing the reverse of what you did when you marched on". When I was a cadet we yelled "PATRICIA!" after 3 paces, but then after that, you marched off in whatever direction you needed to go. As long as you were still on the parade square, you kept marching, and just switched to walking as soon as you were off.
    2Lt McInnes, Admin O
    2834 RCACC (Artillery)
    Yorkton, SK, Canada