+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 123

Thread: Ask a Brit!

  1. #21
    Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Cold Lake, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd like to point out...you guys are geniuses!!
    Dr.Who is the best show ever!!

    I think some of the most interesting words(that we don't use) were a "full Stop" and "lorry".

    Question, I heard there was a spinoff from Doctor Who, with Captain Jack Harkness. I was wondering what that show was called because I can't find it.
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow3n View Post
    I'd like to point out...you guys are geniuses!!
    Dr.Who is the best show ever!!

    I think some of the most interesting words(that we don't use) were a "full Stop" and "lorry".

    Question, I heard there was a spinoff from Doctor Who, with Captain Jack Harkness. I was wondering what that show was called because I can't find it.

    Torchwood?
    Petty Officer(SCC) James COPELAND
    Warsash Sea Cadets | UK Sea Cadet Corps
    Assistant Area Staff Officer (Communication & Information Systems) (Southern Area)

    British Forum Moderator | Adult Staff


  3. #23
    Are there any advantages of being a Cadet while enrolling in the armed services?
    Catherine Carter
    Former Cadet

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Torchwood?
    I remember it being shown on Space for a while (Canadian sci-fi channel).

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow3n View Post
    I'd like to point out...you guys are geniuses!!
    Dr.Who is the best show ever!!

    I think some of the most interesting words(that we don't use) were a "full Stop" and "lorry".

    Question, I heard there was a spinoff from Doctor Who, with Captain Jack Harkness. I was wondering what that show was called because I can't find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Torchwood?
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I remember it being shown on Space for a while (Canadian sci-fi channel).

    JB
    NOW we're talkin'! HUGE Who fan, me. Tom Baker's Doctor is my fave but David Tennant has safely secured second place (pushing Peter Davison down a notch).

    Luckily I've got the wife addicted now. I lured her in with Doctor Who, then got her hooked on Torchwood too and she got herself hooked on The Sarah Jane Adventures.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

  6. #26
    aaron is on a distinguished road aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005
    Location
    Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    21
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
    Is it a big deal walking around with a knife in your pocket? Or is that just in certain parts where they have lots of gang violence?
    Is the BBC as cool as I think it is? or is that just because of Top Gear and Ray Mears?
    As far as I know if stopped by a police officer and caught in possesion of a knife you can expect to lose it and possibly get arrested for carrying an offensive weapon. Gang crime is rife in certain areas but 1 rule applies to all.

    As for the bbc well... something are worth a watch... whether its worth the tv license is another question all together

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Are there any advantages of being a Cadet while enrolling in the armed services?

    Yes and no - If you go into the interviews etc completely claiming to be a cadet and that makes you amazing you won't get in.

    However naturally the skills you learn are mostly transferrable and whilst there isn't a great deal of preference to the UK Cadet Forces you have a lot of background knowledge that you can discretely use to raise your position.


    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    NOW we're talkin'! HUGE Who fan, me. Tom Baker's Doctor is my fave but David Tennant has safely secured second place (pushing Peter Davison down a notch).

    Luckily I've got the wife addicted now. I lured her in with Doctor Who, then got her hooked on Torchwood too and she got herself hooked on The Sarah Jane Adventures.
    I'm not starch fan of it, but isn't Sarah Jan Adventures a kids programme (its shown on the BBC kids channel )
    Petty Officer(SCC) James COPELAND
    Warsash Sea Cadets | UK Sea Cadet Corps
    Assistant Area Staff Officer (Communication & Information Systems) (Southern Area)

    British Forum Moderator | Adult Staff


  8. #28
    aaron is on a distinguished road aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005
    Location
    Cwmbran, South Wales, UK
    Posts
    21
    Gender
    Having gone through the interview etc to join the RN they like the fact that you're a member of the SCC as it shows you have commitment etc. However its always good to know when not to blow your own trumpet lol

    As for when you're actually going through basic training (I never got there) I was always told never to tell anyone you were a cdt

  9. The Following User Likes This Post By aaron :


  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Having gone through the interview etc to join the RN they like the fact that you're a member of the SCC as it shows you have commitment etc. However its always good to know when not to blow your own trumpet lol

    As for when you're actually going through basic training (I never got there) I was always told never to tell anyone you were a cdt
    We had an ex cadet enter as a Mid RN, he was told that he shouldn't mention it during his basic at BRNC because it can cause some issues....


    However it gives you that key knowledge!
    Petty Officer(SCC) James COPELAND
    Warsash Sea Cadets | UK Sea Cadet Corps
    Assistant Area Staff Officer (Communication & Information Systems) (Southern Area)

    British Forum Moderator | Adult Staff


  11. #30
    I'm in the RFA and still a member of the Cadet forces...it helped me in my interview, and the skills I'd learnt at Cadets were incredibly useful during my training and while onboard. Now I want to go back to cadets and give them the skills I've learnt through work! So yes, it has its advantages.
    J. Sylvester,
    Former Petty Officer (UK Sea Cadet Corps).

    JOIN THE WEB CADET CORPS - An online Cadet adventure!

  12. The Following User Likes This Post By josh sylvester :


  13. #31
    To give it from and RAF point of veiw....

    Its the same process...the information you gain is helpful, and the ATC gives you some very useful skills (drill, organisation of the RAF etc etc....)

  14. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by colford.R View Post
    I'll be going there in March.. what's the weather like at that time?
    So, how was your trip to our green & pleasant land?

    Where did you get to and what did you see?

  15. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jords View Post
    Staff from my wing :0
    Im from 1068DF Aviemore, not too far from you, about an hour away... I have a feeling I know a couple of your cadets/NCO's from Wing Weekend last year.
    Detached flights - what are they? Are they satellite units of a squadron? Are they considered a separate unit just smaller than a squadron? How do they fit into the ATC organisation?
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

  16. #34
    Sexton is on a distinguished road Sexton's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,043
    Gender
    My question for you guys,
    I was on an exchange to the UK last summer, and I met a bunch of amazing people my first week there.
    It was while I was at Okehampton with a bunch of marine cadets.
    While I was there, I forgot to get anyones last name, and now I don't have contact with them
    Anyways, my question,
    would someone from the UK be able to PM me or get in touch with me and I can show you guys a couple pictures to find out if you know them ?
    Just have a little faith

  17. #35
    Jords is on a distinguished road Jords's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009
    Location
    Aviemore, Inverness, Scotland
    Posts
    31
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    Detached flights - what are they? Are they satellite units of a squadron? Are they considered a separate unit just smaller than a squadron? How do they fit into the ATC organisation?
    Detached flights are a break off from a squadron basically. They are squadrons with not enough numbers to make up a full squadron so fewer than 25 cadets hope that helps

  18. #36
    It's not so much of a question, but for all you brits, say "Bacon" out loud to yourself.

    Now, keeping how you pronounce Bacon, doesn't it sound like a Jamaican man (or woman lol) saying "Beer can" ????

    :)

    I guess it will also kinda depend on your dialect....
    FSgt RHH (Former)
    ≈583 Coronation RCACS≈
    bc rclcme ns

  19. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by naomi_rhh View Post
    It's not so much of a question, but for all you brits, say "Bacon" out loud to yourself.

    Now, keeping how you pronounce Bacon, doesn't it sound like a Jamaican man (or woman lol) saying "Beer can" ????



    I guess it will also kinda depend on your dialect....
    No, no it doesn't

    Quote Originally Posted by Sexton View Post
    My question for you guys,
    I was on an exchange to the UK last summer, and I met a bunch of amazing people my first week there.
    It was while I was at Okehampton with a bunch of marine cadets.
    While I was there, I forgot to get anyones last name, and now I don't have contact with them
    Anyways, my question,
    would someone from the UK be able to PM me or get in touch with me and I can show you guys a couple pictures to find out if you know them ?
    PM me and i'll see what I can do
    Petty Officer(SCC) James COPELAND
    Warsash Sea Cadets | UK Sea Cadet Corps
    Assistant Area Staff Officer (Communication & Information Systems) (Southern Area)

    British Forum Moderator | Adult Staff


  20. #38
    Sexton is on a distinguished road Sexton's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,043
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    PM me and i'll see what I can do
    PM inbound (:
    Just have a little faith

  21. #39
    So anyone else got anything for us?

  22. #40
    Lucky Charms is on a distinguished road Lucky Charms's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    +49°15'43.3" -123°09'07.2"
    Posts
    143
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by naomi_rhh View Post
    It's not so much of a question, but for all you brits, say "Bacon" out loud to yourself.

    Now, keeping how you pronounce Bacon, doesn't it sound like a Jamaican man (or woman lol) saying "Beer can" ????



    I guess it will also kinda depend on your dialect....
    You got them flipped! Lol. The brits are supposed to say "beer can" and it sound like a Jamaican sayin' bacon!
    OCdt St-Martin, B
    111 Pegasus RCACS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts