+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dress and Appearance

Hello i was having a talk wit my Co about a couple of cadets in my corps that dislike to shave and they asked me if i could find out if they can not shave and such . So i was reading the CATO 35-01 Annex B and it said you can have a Beard or Moustache. My real question is what really constitutes as a " real" Beard or Moustache?? I would like just to clear it up for my cadets
    CPO1 John Ryall
    RCSCC 104 Brilliant
    Bos'n 1-3 HMCS Acadia
    STAFF 2010 and 2011
    Boatshed/National Regatta Staff

axehead is on a distinguished road axehead's Avatar
    I would have to say it has to be full and thick. A wispy thin beard does not look good and often makes the wearer look like an unmade bed. If the beard look like a shadow or a teen stash(for lack of a better phrase) I would say its not acceptable. Really its all a matter of opinion though. But one thing you should tell your cadets it that a beard is just as if not harder to maintain than a clean shaven face, it also does not mean there would be no shaving as most males would still need to shave the neck aria.
    OCdt Neilands, P
    107 Spitfire Squadron

gliderwings

Poseidon
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswainboy View Post
    Hello i was having a talk wit my Co about a couple of cadets in my corps that dislike to shave and they asked me if i could find out if they can not shave and such . So i was reading the CATO 35-01 Annex B and it said you can have a Beard or Moustache. My real question is what really constitutes as a " real" Beard or Moustache?? I would like just to clear it up for my cadets
    Is what you're looking for not also within that same document?

the details on what facial hair is acceptable is listed in CATOs aswell as what constitutes as proper acceptable facial hair. for beards, it must be full, but can't not hang off the face, kept neatly groomed but cannot grow down the neck, a moustache is acceptable aslong as it does not hang lower than the top of your bottom lip I believe. I know this from expeirence, since i had did have both at one point as a cadet.

if a cadet wishes to grow a beard or moustache, they MUST request permission from his/her (you never know) CO. the default time is something like 3 weeks but it can totally be up to the CO on how much time the cadet is given (i did it in 2 )

if, however, they try and pull the whole "what's the big deal about shaving" crap, just simply remind that being properly groomed is apart of the uniform
    (RTD) CPO1 Joe Taylor
    Boatshed Staff 2009, HMCS Quadra
    Sierra Alfa Delta
    Charlie Foxtrot

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    And, until a cadet can muster a "full set," make sure they shave off the assorted stand-alone hairs, overgrown peach-fuzz, and the like. Doing inspections, it's always "until you can grow this, shave!"

Easiest way to maintain the face-fur is to use a barber's electric razor: the sort with numbered guards.

all you non operational personnel and your allowance of beards pfft
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"

Good Day

Here is the excerpt from the CATO WRT beards

d. Beards. Beards may be worn
    with the following conditions:

(1) the beard shall be worn with
    a moustache,

(2) the beard shall be kept
    neatly trimmed, especially
    with regard to the lower
    neck and cheekbones, and

3) the beard shall not exceed
    2.5 cm (1 inch) in bulk.
    Bulk is defined as the
    distance that the hair mass
    protrudes from the face
    (thickness), as opposed to
    the length of the hair.
    qdjm
    Commanding Officer
    RCSCC NELSON
    HMCS ACADIA D&C Crse O/2IC Common Trg
    CCGS HENRY LARSEN Arctic Deployment - 2010

Sexton is on a distinguished road Sexton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswainboy View Post
    a couple of cadets in my corps that dislike to shave
    Of course Trillium cadets wouldn't want to shave
    that involves extra work, and Trillium never does extra
    I miss our Flotilla !!!
    Just have a little faith

LastGunner
    Growing a beard when not at sea? It does look good if full and nice. I remember growing a beard while in my last year of cadets. I had to ask permission to discontinue shaving first and then request to grow a beard.I was allowed 30 days and then it was evaluated by the CO. I recall a parent coming down and I was tearing a strip off a cadet who had just done something wrong on the drill deck and a parent inquiring who the man was yelling at his kid.My CO said no that is the Chief he is one of the senior cadets. It looked really great.

Don't tell me moustaches are allowed for sea cadets. Naval tradition is all or nothing. The green machine started the moustache thing and the ban on beards at sea has made it even worse. Now half our sailors look like grunts or Yanks. Jesus wept.
    Gene C. Fedderly, CD, RCN (Ret'd)
    Lieutenant-Commander

qgjmcd2

LastGunner

Beards

Too funny grunts and yanks. Just don't say that to any Combat Pioneer, now those boys can grow a beard. As for yanks,I recall being in a wardroom on board a RN ship and a joke was told in front of several American Officers who took offense. The Royal Naval Officer quickly responded, "oh ya no jokes about the yanks,not unless your willing to explain it all over several times."

axehead is on a distinguished road axehead's Avatar
    I was just looking over the sea and air cadet dress regs and I noticed that sea cadets are aloud to have full beards and air cadets are not. So i was wondering if this is simply tradition or if there was another reason for the differing standards?
    OCdt Neilands, P
    107 Spitfire Squadron

gliderwings

Forde.089 is on a distinguished road Forde.089's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by axehead View Post
    I was just looking over the sea and air cadet dress regs and I noticed that sea cadets are aloud to have full beards and air cadets are not. So i was wondering if this is simply tradition or if there was another reason for the differing standards?
    Its all about tradition. Being the senior service, the Navy has its perks.

A proper beard looks sharp in a uniform if you ask me.
    JUSTIN S. FORDE
    lsmrclcmescsm
    "Life brings its own education, and the life of the sea permits no truancy. It says to a man, 'learn to be a seaman, or die.'"

This is one of those odd things that makes no sense and is quite inconsistent.

The document says you are allowed to, but a lot of people are saying things like this:

- It's not allowed

- It must be grown within 30 days

- A request form must be in <-- this one makes as much sense as a request form must be in for females wanting to have short hair rather than a bun.

- You must either have a full one, or you don't. Nothing in between.

The one thing that bugs me is that I've seen PO's AND Officers say this which is making it where the conventions and traditions of a corps have higher authority then the documents.
    こんにちは!
    japan
    rclcme scsm

Forde.089 is on a distinguished road Forde.089's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niteshifter View Post
    This is one of those odd things that makes no sense and is quite inconsistent.

The document says you are allowed to, but a lot of people are saying things like this:

- It's not allowed

- It must be grown within 30 days

- A request form must be in <-- this one makes as much sense as a request form must be in for females wanting to have short hair rather than a bun.

- You must either have a full one, or you don't. Nothing in between.

The one thing that bugs me is that I've seen PO's AND Officers say this which is making it where the conventions and traditions of a corps have higher authority then the documents.
    Well not everyone can go from clean shaven to full bearded overnight... It makes sense to give a period of time to grow it in full. Though, I never heard of 30 days. I was offered one week by the XO (now CO) of H.M.C.S. Ontario in 2007 to go from clean shaven to full, regulation beard. A good way to ensure that only a week is provided is to start that week from the day a written request is approved. You can't compare a guy growing a beard to girl chopping off most of her hair. One takes time, the other takes a few minutes.

Beards are a fine naval tradition, and the 1 week from request approval system is a great way to see that the tradition isn't abused by teens with thin, patchy peach fuzz.
    JUSTIN S. FORDE
    lsmrclcmescsm
    "Life brings its own education, and the life of the sea permits no truancy. It says to a man, 'learn to be a seaman, or die.'"

Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson is a glorious beacon of light Teh_Jackson's Avatar
    I can double check this, but according to my officer the option for even the full beard with permission has been removed. i believe she said it was because the navy also took it out because facial hair can mess with life-saving apuratices. maybe an officer can back me on this or correct me?
    scsmCPO1 (Retired) Jacksonlsm
    malm
    Onward!
    nlcae

Paul is a glorious beacon of light Paul is a glorious beacon of light Paul is a glorious beacon of light Paul is a glorious beacon of light Paul is a glorious beacon of light Paul is a glorious beacon of light Paul's Avatar
    I'm not a sea cadet or an officer, but I can still search the internet.... your regs don't disallow beards. According to CATO 35-01 Annex B, you can still wear a beard.
    http://www.cadets.ca/WorkArea//Downl....aspx?id=50789

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspineslayer View Post
    I can double check this, but according to my officer the option for even the full beard with permission has been removed. i believe she said it was because the navy also took it out because facial hair can mess with life-saving apuratices. maybe an officer can back me on this or correct me?
    The Navy did not abolish the practice of wearing beards....they simply ammended the regulation to state that while serving aboard a ship, you must be clean shaven, your reasoning above is accurate as to why.

Sylena Urbanoski
    Every person is in some way, my superior.- Emerson

Maple Leaf

The Navy announced July 14 that, effective immediately, all persons serving in HMC ships and submarines may no longer wear beards.
    Catherine Carter
    Former Cadet

They abolished beards because of our new Drager systems we use for firefighting. The masks sit much closer to our chin then the Chemox masks did,thus not having a proper seal where a beard my be situated. Aswell i believe that they also said no more beards due to CBRN reasons while in operational theatre. As LCdr Fedderly said, alot of our sailors that had beards are now some funny looking folks . But i cant say much because of my movember stache.
    LS Chris Morris
    Fire Control Operator
    "Deny, Decieve, Defeat"
    HMCS Ottawa
    "Ragae Revaeb"