hope that helps
    thanks lucy =/
    Warrant Officer Second Class Chiu D.
    692 BCIT Aerospace Squadron
    Flag Party Commander
    BASIC 08', AATC-AOC 11', GPS 12'
    aircsmgliderwings

DrillGOD822 is on a distinguished road
    I have a question and I'm mildly confused from the things I was taught, remembered, recently informed of and recently told

Okay problem 1:

I was marching across the parade square, both hands were full of my personal equipment because I had recently made a presentation so both hands had something to carry (quite heavy). I approached an officer and from what I know, when both of my hands are full I can either A) drop the things and salute or B) Come to attention, address the officer by "Sir/Ma'am". I couldn't really drop my equipment because it would have been a mess and it was sort of too late to do that SO I came to attention addressed the officer.

I was informed that when my hands are full, I have to do an eyes right after coming to attention. Can someone find this for me? It's currently 0100 hours and I can't quite find the article where it states this. I know that if I am marching, and my hands are both full, and an officer is passing to either my left or right, I would perform an eyes right or left (depending on the direction) + address the officer. However, if I am face to face with the officer, stopped (not marching) and I'm at attention, would I still perform and eyes right? :S

This is something that confused me on the spot

Well when ur passing an officer normally you do eyes right/left and salute as you already know. But I would say if ur hands are full and ur passing an officer to just show your respects by an eyes right or left. If you are stopped u stand at attention address them.stay at attention through the whole convo unless told to otherwise. After the conversation stand at attention adreSs the officer again and carry on. If u are passing an officer u don't need to stop and come to attention unless talking to them for a period of time. But if u stop to talk and showed your respects at the beggining and end of the convo u wouldn't need to do an eyes right/left because you already did that to finish the conversation. Sorry for the poor answer. I'm messanging from my phone so I can't edit properly. I'm sure there will be more comments with more helpful info but for now u get my bad explaination

Grunt is on a distinguished road Grunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrillGOD822 View Post
    I have a question and I'm mildly confused from the things I was taught, remembered, recently informed of and recently told

Okay problem 1:

I was marching across the parade square, both hands were full of my personal equipment because I had recently made a presentation so both hands had something to carry (quite heavy). I approached an officer and from what I know, when both of my hands are full I can either A) drop the things and salute or B) Come to attention, address the officer by "Sir/Ma'am". I couldn't really drop my equipment because it would have been a mess and it was sort of too late to do that SO I came to attention addressed the officer.

I was informed that when my hands are full, I have to do an eyes right after coming to attention. Can someone find this for me? It's currently 0100 hours and I can't quite find the article where it states this. I know that if I am marching, and my hands are both full, and an officer is passing to either my left or right, I would perform an eyes right or left (depending on the direction) + address the officer. However, if I am face to face with the officer, stopped (not marching) and I'm at attention, would I still perform and eyes right? :S

Or the third option, take the scenic route and avoid the situation completely. LOL
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume I am not allowed to do it.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Grunt :

Okay problem 1:

So, if I understand you correctly, you were told to turn your eyes away from the officer you were addressing? The purpose of an "eyes right" is to acknowledge the officer and pay the appropriate compliments. Social convention alone would dictate that it would be "rude" to turn away from someone to whom you were speaking.
    If I'm understanding you, the person that told you this is mildly confused.

Okay problem 1:

In that case you should simply acknowledge the Officer as best you can, generally by saying "Good morning/afternoon/evening sir/ma'am" the same as you would if you were saluting.

You never turn your head away from someone you are acknowledging, and whoever told you that you should needs to give their head a shake.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Okay problem 1:

There's the theory of the thing and then there's the practical part.

If you are reporting to an officer, you are supposed to pay the appropriate compliment - which is to say saluting them. The thing to do is put down the equipment, come to attention, salute, have the conversation, salute, dismiss and pick the kit back up. No requirement to drop the equipment is needed as the officer would understand the delay to put down the equipment.

However, consider this:

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

19. Buildings. Salutes are not given indoors in
    either public or service buildings except on
    parades, ceremonial occasions, in areas so
    designated by commanders, or when entering or
    leaving the office of an officer who should be paid
    compliments by virtue of his rank or appointment.
    Further:

a. it is correct to turn the head and offer a polite
    greeting when meeting an officer in the
    common area of a public or service building;
    and;

b. it is not customary for those other than Sikhs
    working in a building to wear headdress
    when visiting another office in the same
    building. In this circumstance, compliments
    are paid by briefly coming to attention at the
    office door.
    In our armoury, the parade square (when not being used as a classroom) is designated a saluting zone and salutes are rendered when entering or leaving the Orderly Room - All other areas are as per above.

I'm thinking that subparagraph a. might be where the person is getting the idea of using an eyes right as a substitute for a hand salute when reporting to an officer with your hands full. That would be a major misinterpretation of what that subpara says.

In practice, if a subordinate was on their way somewhere with an armload of kit and wanted a quick word then I wouldn't be offended if they just came to attention in front of me. Mind you, if that quick word was going to last more than a minute and that armload was heavy or awkward, I'd probably have them put the kit down.

In short, Trevor Formosa, Armoured Recce NB and Juice are all correct.

gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured Recce NB View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, you were told to turn your eyes away from the officer you were addressing? The purpose of an "eyes right" is to acknowledge the officer and pay the appropriate compliments. Social convention alone would dictate that it would be "rude" to turn away from someone to whom you were speaking.
    If I'm understanding you, the person that told you this is mildly confused.
    That is correct. I was face to face with this officer and I was within our squadron's "no saluting zone" (well within it), with hands absolutely full and the conversation was not long at all (I wouldn't say anymore than 5 seconds). I know from a small "learn on the spot" moment back when I was a Sergeant and I was on the Drill Team, you never do an about turn on an officer. So I thought of that at that very moment and that is why I felt somewhat awkward doing an eyes right on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Formosa View Post
    Well when ur passing an officer normally you do eyes right/left and salute as you already know. But I would say if ur hands are full and ur passing an officer to just show your respects by an eyes right or left. If you are stopped u stand at attention address them.stay at attention through the whole convo unless told to otherwise. After the conversation stand at attention adreSs the officer again and carry on. If u are passing an officer u don't need to stop and come to attention unless talking to them for a period of time. But if u stop to talk and showed your respects at the beggining and end of the convo u wouldn't need to do an eyes right/left because you already did that to finish the conversation. Sorry for the poor answer. I'm messanging from my phone so I can't edit properly. I'm sure there will be more comments with more helpful info but for now u get my bad explaination
    Thank you for your help Chief

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    There's the theory of the thing and then there's the practical part.

If you are reporting to an officer, you are supposed to pay the appropriate compliment - which is to say saluting them. The thing to do is put down the equipment, come to attention, salute, have the conversation, salute, dismiss and pick the kit back up. No requirement to drop the equipment is needed as the officer would understand the delay to put down the equipment.

However, consider this:

In our armoury, the parade square (when not being used as a classroom) is designated a saluting zone and salutes are rendered when entering or leaving the Orderly Room - All other areas are as per above.

I'm thinking that subparagraph a. might be where the person is getting the idea of using an eyes right as a substitute for a hand salute when reporting to an officer with your hands full. That would be a major misinterpretation of what that subpara says.

In practice, if a subordinate was on their way somewhere with an armload of kit and wanted a quick word then I wouldn't be offended if they just came to attention in front of me. Mind you, if that quick word was going to last more than a minute and that armload was heavy or awkward, I'd probably have them put the kit down.

In short, Trevor Formosa, Armoured Recce NB and Juice are all correct.

Thank you Sirs for your help. At our squadron we have designated a "no salute zone" to avoid traffic of cadets. I do realize that when on the march or when at the halt and an officer is passing at either direction you address them with an eyes right/left (if hands are full). The thing that confused me on the spot was the fact that I was face to face with this officer.

Thanks again

Just to be clear, turning eyes right and left is in fact a form of salute.
    Captain J. Gleiberman cd1
    Everytime I think I am out, they keep pulling me back in.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW
    Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    Just to be clear, turning eyes right and left is in fact a form of salute.
    Even on the spot (at the halt), in a designated non-saluting zone, face to face with an officer with hands full (that could have been fixed - variable factor in this situation), Sir?

Even on the spot (at the halt), in a designated non-saluting zone, face to face with an officer with hands full (that could have been fixed - variable factor in this situation), Sir?
    The origin of the eyes right and left is from the feudal era where formed troops were permitted to view their commanders as a sign of respect and acknowledgement of their loyalty to the commander. Looking directly at someone was a challenge and to not act on the challenge was seen as a recognition of loyalty. The origin is similar to the hand salute when knights raised their visors to one another as an indication of respect by making themselves vulnerable to each other, and to signal that they were not attacking.

So just like presenting arms to indicate that you are not going to fire at your commander, fire a 21 gun salute to indicate that you have emptied your weapons away from your commander etc.

These are all salutes and really should be made clear that they are as such.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW

Quote Originally Posted by J. Gleiberman View Post
    The origin of the eyes right and left is from the feudal era where formed troops were permitted to view their commanders as a sign of respect and acknowledgement of their loyalty to the commander. Looking directly at someone was a challenge and to not act on the challenge was seen as a recognition of loyalty. The origin is similar to the hand salute when knights raised their visors to one another as an indication of respect by making themselves vulnerable to each other, and to signal that they were not attacking.

So just like presenting arms to indicate that you are not going to fire at your commander, fire a 21 gun salute to indicate that you have emptied your weapons away from your commander etc.

These are all salutes and really should be made clear that they are as such.
    Makes sense and I understand Sir. I would imagine one not raising their visor would indicate high and immediate threat then?

Makes sense and I understand Sir. I would imagine one not raising their visor would indicate high and immediate threat then?
    It would mean that you are ready for battle, so yes.
    Grand Poobah of the SAW

Hi. The DND links appear to be dead again. Can anyone help?
    FCpl Jacob Deery
    820 Chris Hadfield Squadron, Milton, Ontario
    Band Trumpeter, Marksman

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Sea Cadet Dress Regulations (CATO 35-01)
    http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...spx#CATO 35-01

Sea Cadet Manual of Drill and Ceremonial
    http://www.cadets.ca/content-contenu.aspx?id=64296

Army Cadet Dress Regulations (CATO 46-01)
    http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...x#CATO%2046-01

Army Cadet Cadet Badge Flag and Banners (CATO 48-01)
    http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...x#CATO%2048-01

Air Cadet Wearing of Pilot Wings (CATO 52-04)
    http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...x#CATO%2052-04

Air Cadet Lee Enfield Rifle Drill (CATO 54-04)
    http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...x#CATO%2054-04

Air Cadet Dress Regulations (CATO 55-04)
    http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oa...x#CATO%2055-04

CFP 200 The Heritage Structure of The Canadian Forces
    CFP 201 Canadian Forces Manual of Drill and Ceremonial
    CFP 265 Canadian Forces Dress Instructions
    http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-te...uction-eng.asp
    You may want to update these links.
    canada
    Sergeant L.Bilkey
    Platoon 2IC
    1849 Lorne Scots RC(Army)CC Orangeville, ON
    armycsm

19. The Following User Likes This Post By Bilkey :

cadet1010 is on a distinguished road cadet1010's Avatar
    Found the 201!

http://www.758argus.ca/resources/dri...ual_apd201.pdf

Its a PDF thought! But I found it!
    FLIGHT CORPORAL GARRETT
    Wasaga Beach 714 Squadron
    Royal Canadian Air Cadets

"Anything can fly,if you throw it hard enough."

201 Problem...

All the 201s I can find are missing chapters 4-6, they contain 1,2,3 and 7. Any one know why? or where I can get the others? Because it looks like that's where the rifle drill is

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgunner23 View Post
    All the 201s I can find are missing chapters 4-6, they contain 1,2,3 and 7. Any one know why? or where I can get the others? Because it looks like that's where the rifle drill is
    The post directly above yours would be a good place to look.
    Lt C. Woods
    1 West Montreal RCACS