+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Music Resources

Music Resources

Post away! Some suggestions: music theory, helpful CATOs about cadet bands, use your own imagination!

Tons of good links for things like fingering charts, P&D Level Music, Mil Band Scales, Part of the 202 for Drill, and random music stuff.

http://www.cadets.ca/regions/est/com....aspx?id=74512
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan
    Villeneuve Cadet Flying Site

JackJack is on a distinguished road JackJack's Avatar
    here's a chapter of the 202 I believe.
    It was just bookmarked on my computer.
    Band drill.
    http://www.regions.cadets.forces.gc....f/chapter3.pdf

and theory
    http://www.cadets.net/_docs/music-mu...sic-Theory.pdf
    Last edited by JackJack; 31st October 2009 at 12:27. Reason: added another link
    Lt Jacqueline Roberts
    517 F/Lt Graham RCACS

That's not the 202, it's part of a band manual put out by Pacific Region I believe. The entire manual can be found on this website, along with a few other resources. A lot of the info is taken from the 202, though.
    http://www.cadets.ca/regions/pac/air....aspx?id=21053
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan

CFP 202:

http://www.rcsccwarrior.ab.ca/Resour...Band_Drill.pdf

The most elusive online document ever.
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By euphman395 :

Quote Originally Posted by euphman395 View Post
    CFP 202:

The most elusive online document ever.
    Thank you Sgt Podkowka!
    OCdt Rachel Schan
    Supply Officer
    Russell, Ontario
    5 Cyclone RCACS

Haha, no problem, I just stumbled upon it when I was looking for some lesson plan help. btw I like the hyperlinked squadron name!
    2Lt Podkowka, Dylan

BASIC 2k7 Flight 10 Third Intake TACSTC-ITPERTC 2k8 Flight 23 Second Intake TACSTC-ITAC 2k9 Echo Flight Second Intake CRGS-Glider 2k10 B Flight CRGS
    <-- This isn't protest it's mosh.

Drumming or lack of it!!!!!

A friend of mine Mr. Fred Johnson of CADRE put together a clinic last summer on RUDIMENTAL DRUMMING.Just wondering what the the Cadet drummers thought of it and what can be DONE with Rudimental drumming. Do the Band Camps TEACH rudiments to the drummers and are they USED in the music you play? My experience is not really which is too bad because the rudiments are the "scales" for a drummer and should not be left out. Too many Corps Squadrons are trying to imitate DCI Corps these days from what I have seen over the years. Do you REALLY need 4 BASS DRUMS 2 QUADS 4-5 SNARES when you only have 12-14 wind players behind you? Cadet Bands are supposed to be Military in nature from what I recall. I.m not trying to put down any of the drummers only suggest they try to further their study of drum rudiments and the application of same. People like Mr. Johnson are trying to bring back good solid drumming and if you get a chance to learn from him or one of his cohorts I strongly advise you take them up on it. These guys in CADRE are the tops in North America.If you follow Drum Corps at all ie: DCA You will know they have won the Title 4 years in a row over the AMERICAN DRUMMERS!!!!!!!!! If you get a chance click on the CADRE website or google video CADRE and see what I am talking about. They might have "snow" on top of their heads but they have LIGHTNING in the arms and wrists!!!!!!!!!! I would be interested in assisting any unit in the Hamilton Southwestern area who is in need of drum instruction of the military rudimental style.Feel free to contact me via CW. Rick Allen 8th Field Regiment RCA Trumpet Band 1969-70 Guelph Royalaires 1974 Hamilton Firefighters Drum Corps 1975 Royal Hamilton Light Infantry Bugle Band 1975-87 Director Ridge Raiders Jr. Drum Corps1981-82 Canadian Champs C Class 1982 Band Officer 2865 RCAC 1982-84 Linden Park School Drum Corps 1985-1998 Band Officer RCSCC DUNDAS 1991-92 Band Officer NLCC Cougar 1994 Guest Instructor Arranger HMCS ONTARIO 1985-97 Band Officer RCSCC HAIDA 1997-2003 1999 COA Champs. Drum Instructor Program Co-Ordinator Niagara Militaires Alumni Corps 2006-

I can tell you that the Qualification Standard for Music Proficiency Levels within the Cadet Program, has the percussionists spending a lot of time of rudiments. This is true for both the military band percussionists and the pipe band percussionists. Notice that I use the term percussionists and not drummers. In both the military band and the pipe band, there is cross-training which occurs (in military band, mallet percussion players learn snare, and vice-versa; in pipe band, the tenor drummers learn snare, and vice versa). I can also state that the prepared music that military band percussionists have to play on the snare drum is based on rudimental drumming.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by euphman395 View Post
    CFP 202:

The most elusive online document ever. :dance:
    you are the best! thank you! :D
    FSgt RHH (Former)
    ≈583 Coronation RCACS≈
    bc rclcme ns

BL.Bandie is on a distinguished road BL.Bandie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) R. Molitor View Post
    I can tell you that the Qualification Standard for Music Proficiency Levels within the Cadet Program, has the percussionists spending a lot of time of rudiments. This is true for both the military band percussionists and the pipe band percussionists. Notice that I use the term percussionists and not drummers. In both the military band and the pipe band, there is cross-training which occurs (in military band, mallet percussion players learn snare, and vice-versa; in pipe band, the tenor drummers learn snare, and vice versa). I can also state that the prepared music that military band percussionists have to play on the snare drum is based on rudimental drumming.
    As a percussionist I can completely vouche for the fact that we spend a great deal of time learning rudiments as they are the base of anything you will do with snare. Not only are the cadences based on rudiments but also all the percussion sections that are played in any mil band piece are broken down into rudiments. As Lt(N) Molitor said we do also have to learn mallet percussion and base drum. And to add to that yes rudimental drumming is taught at summer camp, it is almost impossible to properly teach percussion without.
    Last edited by BL.Bandie; 3rd April 2010 at 19:54. Reason: forgot a sentence
    CI Low
    238 Campbeltown at heart
    Quadra Music Staff '10'11
    lsmrclcmeanavetsscsm

CW Photo of the Year ZhengC is on a distinguished road ZhengC's Avatar
    I'm studying under Nathan McLaren, awesome guy and percussionist. He has me working a lot on basics, as those build up a solid foundation for everything else.
    WO2 Zheng, C
    692 BCIT Aerospace RCACS
    - GT '09 - Service Band '10 - Music 4-5 '11 - Glider '12 - Power '13 -
    aircsmanavets
    gliderwingspowerwings

Quote Originally Posted by ZhengC View Post
    I'm studying under Nathan McLaren, awesome guy and percussionist. He has me working a lot on basics, as those build up a solid foundation for everything else.
    you are one lucky person...
    FSgt RHH (Former)
    ≈583 Coronation RCACS≈
    bc rclcme ns

CW Photo of the Year ZhengC is on a distinguished road ZhengC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by naomi_rhh View Post
    you are one lucky person...
    Not exactly, I just have time on my hands.
    WO2 Zheng, C
    692 BCIT Aerospace RCACS
    - GT '09 - Service Band '10 - Music 4-5 '11 - Glider '12 - Power '13 -
    aircsmanavets
    gliderwingspowerwings

I'm being trained by Kem. K, he's an amazing signer, and he works with beats, drums and stuff that i need for DM and Design....I also work with Rakish Adhin, he's a professional producer, singer and composer. He helps me with my trumpet, and helps record with me. The final, helps me improve my playing. He is a composer, and and singer and he plays as well. He invited me to become a part of his band, and i have played some stuff with him, but not a whole lot, still need more practice. He is the Benjamin Romvari, from Ben's Imaginary Band.

Kamal7 is on a distinguished road Kamal7's Avatar
    Link Removed for Possible Copyright violation
    Last edited by Rhino Rob; 17th February 2011 at 18:00.
    WO2 Kamal - 504 RCACS
    abBasic 2K8, ITLC 2K9, AOC 2K11, AMC 2K12canada
    aircsm1

Kommendant is on a distinguished road Kommendant's Avatar
    Where did Scotty and Black Bear go?

Hey all,

I've been trolling the internet and eventually found a copy of Scotland the Brave on the Army Cadet March Book but it only has Scotland The Brave; No Blackbear. It would seem silly to have these two pieces on separate sheets so I was wondering if somebody had a full set of Scotland the Brave & Blackbear on the same card. In my squadron we are a mil band so I don't need pipe parts (The Army cadet core has P&D band so we form up with them for Remembrance Day parade) Also, if anybody finds Bonnie Dundee for mil/massed band...

Kommendant is on a distinguished road Kommendant's Avatar