+ Reply to Thread

Question Are Cadets Allowed to attend courses of othe elements?

I was just curious.. if a Cadet applied for a course of a different element, could they get accepted? Has this happended before? Also, is it possible for a Cadet to attend more than one course in one summer?
    FSgt. Elizabeth Connors
    29 Sydney Kiwanis RCACS
    aircsm

CW Photo of the Year ZhengC is on a distinguished road ZhengC's Avatar
    There are Tri Service and Bi Service courses, such as Music at HMCS Acadia and Athletic Instructor, which take in Sea and Air Cadets, as well as other courses such as Band at Vernon, for Air and Army cadets.

And no, you can't take more than one course per summer. Although I wish we could, no.
    WO2 Zheng, C
    692 BCIT Aerospace RCACS
    - GT '09 - Service Band '10 - Music 4-5 '11 - Glider '12 - Power '13 -
    aircsmanavets
    gliderwingspowerwings

Tri Service courses, such as the band courses are the only ones offered that can load cadets from all elements.

There are enough cadets of the right colour waiting for their courses, so adding a "horse of a different colour" makes no sense at all when they will not directly benefit from it. But, seeing as how much of the material is being made "purple" nowadays, this could hypothetically change, but probably won't. (I don't have any info on this, I just can't see it happening)

Yes, you are able to attend more than one course in the summer provided the circumstances were there.

In 2004 at Blackdown CTC there were not enough Pipe & Drum cadets to fill the 3rd Basic Serial. The CTC requested Basic (now GT) cadets from the first two serials who had an interest in the Ps&Ds to volunteer to return for the third serial. It is important to note that this was only because there were billets left to fill - not general practice.
    "Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility."
    -- February 1955 Combat Forces Journal

Currently there is no such thing as a triservice course. Each element has its only courses though different courses may be run concurrently. The example of music at HMCS ACADIA is a case in point. The region has decieded that it makes more sense to focus the majority of music trainingin one location. That being said, Music 1-5 (air), CL and CLI Music (army) and TG Music are the three courses being offered.

This will change with them new program when courses have been written specifically to run as triservice courses. Courses like Basic Leadership, Basic Sports and Fitness, Busic Musician, and Basic Marksmanship are all courses being offered next summer which have been programed to be run as purple courses.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by R. Molitor View Post
    Currently there is no such thing as a triservice course.
    P&D, first at Ipperwash and now at Blackdown, has been tri-service for years.
    Lt(N) Nathan T. Brown, Sr. (Ret'd)
    gsm5cd para
    armycsm1

Poseidon
    Quote Originally Posted by NatoBro View Post
    Also, the Athletic Instructor Course was tri-service for years up until a few years ago when it went down to bi-service.

I think you should make the distinction between tri- or bi-service course as a course designed to be attended by two or more elements and a course that is run that way in a particular area because it makes sense, logistically, to do so.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Also, the Athletic Instructor Course was tri-service for years up until a few years ago when it went down to bi-service.
    If by a few you mean at least six years (seven summers). AIC wasn't tri-service when it came to ONTARIO in 2003, and I wasn't aware it was tri-service before that when it was in Borden.

JB
    Last edited by Juice; 2nd August 2009 at 06:54.
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Quote Originally Posted by NatoBro View Post
    There is no way that a P&D course is tri-service. Sea Cadets do not have a course for P&D. Officially, Sea Cadets do not have a P&D program. There may have been Sea Cadets who have taken the course, but again, they are given credit for a Music TG course though they do not meet all the criteria for the course (due to differences in programing).

A tri-service course is one that has no difference in programing from one element to another. We should not get this confused with concurrent courses (different courses being run at the same time).

I may stand corrected about AI being tri-service. I wasn't aware that army personnel took that course. It could very well be the only tri-service course in the new program.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

This will change with them new program when courses have been written specifically to run as triservice courses. Courses like Basic Leadership, Basic Sports and Fitness, Busic Musician, and Basic Marksmanship are all courses being offered next summer which have been programed to be run as purple courses.
    I was looking at the projection for the CPU summer training program as laid out in the GT QSP and there is no mention of a Basic Marksmanship course. The only course I saw relating to Marksmanship is the "Air Rifle Marksmanship Instructor" course.

Reference: GT IG, Chapter 4, Annex A.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Villanueva_820 is on a distinguished road Villanueva_820's Avatar
    For what its worth with the whole attending another element's courses deal there was apparently an air cadet on Para (an exclusively army course) last summer. I think detachment (or who ever is in charge of summer training) made an exception for him/her either because :

A) Said cadet may not have an Army Corps in their area.
    B) Said cadet may have had to transfer out of Army for some reason.
    or C) Said cadet was accepted on a merit basis.
    Pvt. (R) Villanueva, J. GEO TECH
    SLC 2010 CLCSTC
    PPS 2011
    BMQ 2012
    rclcmeaircsm

Poseidon
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    If by a few you mean at least six years (seven summers). AIC wasn't tri-service when it came to ONTARIO in 2003, and I wasn't aware it was tri-service before that when it was in Borden.

JB
    It was indeed. Army cadets were taken off the course in the mid-90s. I know someone who was an army cadet who took the course in 1993 at Borden. From my understanding, it remained tri-service for a few years after that.

It was indeed. Army cadets were taken off the course in the mid-90s. I know someone who was an army cadet who took the course in 1993 at Borden. From my understanding, it remained tri-service for a few years after that.
    I was in Borden for AIC in 89 and it was tri-service and also a national course. I also did Smallbore Rifle Coach at Ipperwash in 90 and it was also tri-service.

Poseidon
    Quote Originally Posted by rwgill View Post
    I was in Borden for AIC in 89 and it was tri-service and also a national course. I also did Smallbore Rifle Coach at Ipperwash in 90 and it was also tri-service.
    Correct. The AIC (or Athletic Leadership as it was called then) was tri-service since the beginning (early 80s, I believe) until about mid-90s when the Army Cadets developed their own holistic fitness course and thus their need to attend the AIC was non-existent. The AIC continues to be bi-service (although it's officially an Air Cadet course) and will be until next summer, it's final year of running before the new FSI course rolls out.

Correct. The AIC (or Athletic Leadership as it was called then) was tri-service since the beginning (early 80s, I believe) until about mid-90s when the Army Cadets developed their own holistic fitness course and thus their need to attend the AIC was non-existent. The AIC continues to be bi-service (although it's officially an Air Cadet course) and will be until next summer, it's final year of running before the new FSI course rolls out.
    And the FSI course is Tri-service!
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)

Poseidon
    And the FSI course is Tri-service!
    Really? I was under the impression that the FSI course is the same across the board in that all three elements will be teaching the course to their respective elements but it will not be combined (i.e., HMCS ONTARIO will hold the FSI for Sea Cadets, Trenton ACSTC will hold the FSI for Air Cadets, etc.). No?

So there isn't going to be any elemental training offered on any of the new summer training courses? Does that not defeat the point of summer training which is to reenforce and expand upon training recieved at the LHQ?
    Capt Ken Logan
    CO 2289 5th (BC) Field Artillery Regiment RCACC
    Former:
    C/MWO lsmrclcmearmycsm2
    CSM 2136 The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) RCACC

GT..............and Basic Expedition and Basic Leadership are all "army cadet specific courses".............same with basic marksman if I can recall.
    Captain MK Wilson, RSW
    gsm

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    So there isn't going to be any elemental training offered on any of the new summer training courses? Does that not defeat the point of summer training which is to reenforce and expand upon training recieved at the LHQ?
    The new summer programme will include element-specific courses in addition to purple ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Basic Leadership is a purple course with some adaptations for each element (ie, the army does feild time).

Elemental courses will be elemental, purple courses have the opportunity to be purple.. that being said there is no requirement for them to be purple in delivery. In other words it is completely possible for 3 camps in Central Region to offer a course like Basic Fitness and Sports (BFS). What would make more sense, in terms of focusing resources, would be to house all three elements in one location; you maximise your use of SMEs.

Just to clarify, as far as I know, the only truely purple courses will be:
    1. Basic Fitness and Sports,
    2. Military Band - Basic Musician,
    3. Basic Marksmenship,
    4. Fitness and Sports Instructor,
    5. Military Band - Intermediate Musician,
    6. Air Rifle Marksmenship Instructor, and
    7. Military Band - Advanced Musician.

The pipe band courses COULD be purple but officially the sea cadet program does not offer pipe band training (Army and Air cadets will be taking the same course).

Basic Leadership, and Drill and Ceremonial Instructor (Leadership and Ceremonial) are designed with large amounts of the courses being purple but there is elemental aspects.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)