+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    thepriceisright is on a distinguished road thepriceisright's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Langham, SK, Canada
    Posts
    846
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13

    National Courses -- Hands and Arms on Parade

    I was wondering what the 'official' or 'unofficial' things to do with your hands or arms on parade after completing a national course. I've heard that if you complete SIC, you can cross your arms on parade etc... Thanks!
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS


  2. #2
    Poseidon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kylepetten View Post
    I was wondering what the 'official' or 'unofficial' things to do with your hands or arms on parade after completing a national course. I've heard that if you complete SIC, you can cross your arms on parade etc... Thanks!
    There may be traditions, but if you're looking for some sort of official reference (e.g., the 201, etc.) you won't find it. These are not official drill movements.

  3. #3
    thepriceisright is on a distinguished road thepriceisright's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Langham, SK, Canada
    Posts
    846
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    There may be traditions, but if you're looking for some sort of official reference (e.g., the 201, etc.) you won't find it. These are not official drill movements.
    yes, i figured that. i have the CFP-201 and its not in there but i just wanted to know what they were for curiosity sake.
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS


  4. #4
    Poseidon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kylepetten View Post
    yes, i figured that. i have the CFP-201 and its not in there but i just wanted to know what they were for curiosity sake.
    You're best bet is to talk to a graduate of each course. PM me if you're curious about some of the AIC traditions. Kortytoh is a good reference for that as well.

  5. #5
    Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)
    Posts
    1,733
    Gender
    Something that I think would be hilarious is doing the "pwnage" thing.

    Essentially what you do is throw your pelvis forward and keep your feet planted, head back, and arms backwards.

    TBH though. I think that doing "special" hand and arm things on parade is for lamers. You don't need to make it blatant that you did so and so when it already says on your badges on your arm.
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

  6. #6
    thepriceisright is on a distinguished road thepriceisright's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Langham, SK, Canada
    Posts
    846
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tight_eyez View Post
    TBH though. I think that doing "special" hand and arm things on parade is for lamers. You don't need to make it blatant that you did so and so when it already says on your badges on your arm.
    yeah, i was just curious and wanted to know.
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS


  7. #7
    Wouldn't you do just as directed by the 201? I don't think any previsions are made because someone took and passed a course. Seems silly to me.
    R Molitor
    Lt (N)
    "Leadership is not making decisions; anyone can do that. It is also not standing behind decisions; again, an easy thing to do. True leadership is admitting when you're wrong."

  8. #8
    thepriceisright is on a distinguished road thepriceisright's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Langham, SK, Canada
    Posts
    846
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Molitor View Post
    Wouldn't you do just as directed by the 201? I don't think any previsions are made because someone took and passed a course. Seems silly to me.
    sir, with all due respect, i know to follow the 201 and i do. but as i said twice before i am just CURIOUS what they are. as you can see i have not done any national courses so i wouldnt be able to do it anyway but i am just wondering the unofficial things graduates may do sometimes, even though it disregards the 201
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS


  9. #9
    Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)
    Posts
    1,733
    Gender
    Wait so not going on a national course somehow limits your mobility and arm movements? I know that's not what you meant but saying that someone can't do something because they didn't do _________ seems kind of stupid to me.

    I'll do whatever I want. There is a thing in Canada, you know charter of Rights and Freedoms.... Yeah I think I'm allowed the mobility of arm movements (if you kind of stretch and bend the definitions a lot and extend your interpretation that way).

    SLC I believe is this superman thing on their hips or something. I don't really care either way. I actually stand like that sometimes, and didn't know about it till later.

    I actually also do the B-Boy Stance thing too sometimes (not related to any course but looks pretty "G" if you do it properly).
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

  10. #10
    AI, hands in your pockets:P i beleive, dont quote me, but it also might be the hands behind the head thing i uno...some one correct me please

    SLC, hands on hips (power stance) its used in the shuffle ^^

    SIC, Crossed arms (created when they used to have the axe on one arm and the hammer on the other (sweater) crossing the arms was tradition to recreate the crossing of the axe and hammer on the SIC badge)

    they are mostly traditions....but they realli only have meaning to those who took the course, and mostly when u try to enforce that only the ppl who did the course can do those things, you get shot down realli fast :P either way its unprofessional, to strike those poses anyway, which is why you should enforce your cadets not too, just like leaning against walls while in uniform
    Last edited by SummerDarlin; 12th May 2009 at 13:22. Reason: spelling
    rclcme- WO2. Soul - aircsm
    - 521 Aurora RC(Air)CS - Level 2 Sr. Instructor - DepCom -
    - Basic 2k5 - ITLC 2k6 - SLC 2k7 - AH Staff 2k8 - AH Staff 2k9 -
    WSNBM/ONBP <3 B7 BOXCAR 4LIFE

  11. #11
    Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)
    Posts
    1,733
    Gender
    But.... I loiter all the time.... And if you actually take the real definition of loitering technically IMO the senior cadets and senior ranks are constantly loitering.

    Oh yeah...

    SI.... When I did my BBoy stance thing it's pretty much like the SI thing except so much more "G". That's probably why stuff happened....

    Power has something, I believe hands in pocket??? (Glider may be hands in pocket except for thumbs?)

    AI is more likely hands behind head. Just because they need to overcompensate and show their "guns" (also maybe to a lesser extent their "washboard").

    Just a note I pretty much do all of these things well except for the AI thing.
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

  12. #12
    thepriceisright is on a distinguished road thepriceisright's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007
    Location
    Langham, SK, Canada
    Posts
    846
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerDarlin View Post
    AI, hands in your pockets:P i beleive, dont quote me, but it also might be the hands behind the head thing i uno...some one correct me please
    i believe hands in the pockets is power or glider now that you mention it and for AIC, hands behind your head sounds likely
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS


  13. #13
    i try to have respect, and when i catch myslef doing things that other senior courses have, then i stop myself, or just switch to my own.
    rclcme- WO2. Soul - aircsm
    - 521 Aurora RC(Air)CS - Level 2 Sr. Instructor - DepCom -
    - Basic 2k5 - ITLC 2k6 - SLC 2k7 - AH Staff 2k8 - AH Staff 2k9 -
    WSNBM/ONBP <3 B7 BOXCAR 4LIFE

  14. #14
    Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    1,556
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    I have a bad habit of putting my hand's on my hips now when I am in uniform just because I have no where else to put them. I wouldn't dare put my hands in my pockets while I am in uniform just because I don't think it looks very good. I see hips as the best plan, although, until this summer coming I probably shouldn't be doing it.
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

  15. #15
    Ok! I've been reading this thread and I believe it is neccesary for me to jump in First of all I have done SLC and yes the "power" stance or the hands on the hips is a traditional thing that you are "taught" every year. However it is by no means limited to SLC graduates nor is it appropriate for a cadet to tell another cadet that he or she cannot do it because they have not completed a course. I understand that it occurs jokingly but we must realize that it is just that; a joke, nothing more. It is ridiculous for anybody to tell someone in a serious manner that they cannot place their hands in a certain manner. AIC, SIC, or SLC graduates alike.
    B. Gillespie
    Captain
    Commanding Officer
    515 North Atlantic RCACS

  16. #16
    A similar tradition in Sea Cadets is, after the Marine Engineeers have completed there course the also can put their hands in their pockets. I think its supposed to be for every test that you pass you can put a finger in your pocket. 10 tests, 10 fingers. Again its just a tradition and you aren't supposed to do it. I would bet that there are many disscussions in the Sea Cadet Forums on this same issue.
    SLt Michael Jarosz

    Pacific Region Sailing Race Team Coach
    South Vancouver Island Sail Center Head Instructor

  17. #17
    Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    2006
    Location
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)
    Posts
    1,733
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Buckle View Post
    I have a bad habit of putting my hand's on my hips now when I am in uniform just because I have no where else to put them.
    Take up smoking. Your hands will have a place to be. (Don't actually do that though)

    Alternatively you could get a pipe, put some leather elbow pads on your tunic (or exchange it with a tweed jacket), and get some half moon glasses. It not only gives you that intellectual look you have a place for your hands (with the pipe). Alternatively you could probably get one of those bubble blowing pipes but it probably ruins that "highly regarded academia/intellectual effect". With a book in the other hand if your other hand feels lonely it will complete the look. One hand will have a place to be (carrying your pipe) and the other hand will have a book in it.
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

  18. #18
    Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    1,556
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CadetSgt511 View Post
    Ok! I've been reading this thread and I believe it is neccesary for me to jump in First of all I have done SLC and yes the "power" stance or the hands on the hips is a traditional thing that you are "taught" every year. However it is by no means limited to SLC graduates nor is it appropriate for a cadet to tell another cadet that he or she cannot do it because they have not completed a course. I understand that it occurs jokingly but we must realize that it is just that; a joke, nothing more. It is ridiculous for anybody to tell someone in a serious manner that they cannot place their hands in a certain manner. AIC, SIC, or SLC graduates alike.
    I applaud that post.
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

  19. #19
    Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle is a glorious beacon of light Travis Buckle's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    1,556
    Gender
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tight_eyez View Post
    Take up smoking. Your hands will have a place to be. (Don't actually do that though)

    Alternatively you could get a pipe, put some leather elbow pads on your tunic (or exchange it with a tweed jacket), and get some half moon glasses. It not only gives you that intellectual look you have a place for your hands (with the pipe). Alternatively you could probably get one of those bubble blowing pipes but it probably ruins that "highly regarded academia/intellectual effect". With a book in the other hand if your other hand feels lonely it will complete the look. One hand will have a place to be (carrying your pipe) and the other hand will have a book in it.
    Not allowed to smoke in uniform, plus it's stupid
    Captain Travis Buckle canada

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CadetSgt511 View Post
    Ok! I've been reading this thread and I believe it is neccesary for me to jump in First of all I have done SLC and yes the "power" stance or the hands on the hips is a traditional thing that you are "taught" every year. However it is by no means limited to SLC graduates nor is it appropriate for a cadet to tell another cadet that he or she cannot do it because they have not completed a course. I understand that it occurs jokingly but we must realize that it is just that; a joke, nothing more. It is ridiculous for anybody to tell someone in a serious manner that they cannot place their hands in a certain manner. AIC, SIC, or SLC graduates alike.
    Ahh yes. Flashbacks to ITSTC in Bagotville. I had a habit of standing with my arms crossed when my flight was just standing around. I got yelled at by every SIC cadet who saw me. It was not a pleasant experience. I remember thinking "I'm only crossing my arms.."
    OCdt Rachel Schan
    Supply Officer
    Russell, Ontario
    5 Cyclone RCACS

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts